The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Processes Images in Capture One Too Dark

mcfactor

Hi,

When I process images in capture one the processed images look wildly different than the files in capture one. I have tried exporting as jpg and tiff, with many different profiles, all to the same effect. The only time I have been able to get the files to look correct is with the "jpg quickproof" option. I have attached the two files so you guys can see the difference. This is driving me crazy, any ideas?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Can you show a shot of the C1 process settings tab that you are using when you generate a 'dark' image?

The only thing that comes to mind would be that you have the wrong ICC profile selected? Hard to say without more information.

mcfactor

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I selected a bunch of different icc profiles, prophoto, adobe1998, srgb, all to the same result. The other odd thing is that some images do export normally, with the exact same output settings, while others are dark. I have attached a screen shot of the process settings tab.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Can't really help with a jpg that tiny. Even with my specs on that's just too compressed and small to make out anything of use in the settings.

mcfactor

oops, my bad. I sort of figured it out though. I had set the curve on the images to "linear response" instead of "film standard". It seems that when i exported the images, c1 applied my adjustments on top of a different curve. When I began from the "film standard" then exported fine. I obviously do not understand how these curves work, the reason i switched in the first place is the 'film standard" curve was way too contrasty. The linear curve gave me the most information to start with. Is there a way to actually use this?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It looks like maybe you're doing Reproduction or Cultural Heritage work?

Cultural Heritage Digitization via Capture One is one of our specialities. If you want to give me a call at the office I can give you a several-minute crash course on establishing proper exposure using Capture One set to Linear curve.