Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New iMac Retina has 14.7 megapixel display!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New iMac Retina has 14.7 megapixel display!

Nattering about technology is irrelevant?

That's amusing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Nattering about technology is irrelevant?

That's amusing.
    Indeed it is ... Few of these hotly debated technology discussions have any significant impact on the making of photographs.

It's the same thing I read in the high-end audiophile literature: Most of the hot debates circle around technology issues that one person in ten thousand would ever be concerned about; very few of them have anything to do with creating or listening to ...enjoying!... music.

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Putting aside the "hotly debated" part of all this, there is something to be said about establishing some reasonably high set of technical standards between the various visual components of photography today.

IMO, these standards should universally adhere to a higher purpose so that one component doesn't become the weak link in an imaging chain as things move forward. The price for that may be the nattering techno-nerd diatribes and irritating posturing about minutia … "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" and all that.

I'm still working on old 30" Apple Cinema monitors, and just printed some work for a client shot with my S camera and A7R. Like others have mentioned, I rarely need to make a second print. YET, I can see the advantage of a wider Gamut monitor, and look forward to trying one as my Cinema's are approaching the end of their useful life cycle anyway.

I'm also looking forward to general presentations and viewing on a 5k Retina 'cause it's cool as hell.

For similar reasons I applaud the news that commercial offset printing is striving to expand the CMYK color gamut, and look forward to the day when it is common and readably available in a standardized manner that commercial photographers, art directors and designers can take advantage of on routine basis, not just as a counterpoint in a web debate. I have an ad due Monday and the printer isn't on-line with anything close to an expanded CMYK gamut. That is a real world fact that affects what I do now, not what may be.

- Marc

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Indeed it is ... Few of these hotly debated technology discussions have any significant impact on the making of photographs.

It's the same thing I read in the high-end audiophile literature: Most of the hot debates circle around technology issues that one person in ten thousand would ever be concerned about; very few of them have anything to do with creating or listening to ...enjoying!... music.

G
    Really than you are very naive in thinking almost every studio and high end advertising photographers are not using wide gamut Eizo and Nec. You want to buck industry standards than that's your gig but to sit here and constantly give out bad information to others is a disservice. Sorry your ego is being tested here but your so wrong it's almost embarrassing . There I said what I probably should not have said. Let's be very clear this is not arguing with me at all I'm just passing on what I know Pros are using in the industry and what the dealers are selling to them. Now having said all that I'm excusing myself for awhile from this forum as it's very tiring to hear what you do as a industry standard than what it actually is. Also I'm hours away from being a grandpa so this means **** to me. I apologize to other members but when I see bad info as gospel it makes me furious as that's not the type of info that you need to hear. You need to know what can be done, know your options and make informed decisions. I'm sorry Godfrey your comments are not doing that and that's what this forum is about. With that I'm done. This not about my opinion but facts you can't seem to accept.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Describing Apple's 5K iMac display without profanity just doesn't do it justice...
    From the moment we unpacked this thing, plopped it on our desk, and started messing with it, the iMac with Retina Display drew a crowd. It turned the heads of everyone in the DT offices, from seasoned tech heads to novices who couldn’t tell a USB 3.0 port from a porthole. That speaks volumes about how lusciously vivid images and videos look on Apple’s newest iMac."

Apple iMac with Retina Display review | Digital Trends

Reviews are coming fast now and my own 5k is about to leave shanghai

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your earnest and pleasant advice, Guy. It doesn't bother me one wit to hear you calling me names.

Go be a grandpa. That's more important than telling someone that you disagree with them in such an expansive and constructive way.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been using a 15inch retina display macbookpro or whatever they are called - because it is very easy on the eye and does make stuff look very nice. For prints which need calibration to a bunch of profiles I use for stuff that requires as good as you can get - I use an NEC monitor which sits plugged into the book as a dual screen..

This is hardly rocket science -just makes it easier to get prints done as accurately to profiles as possible - which saves time mucking around with test prints etc. yes it is a hassle to profie your total workflow - and yes nothing is ever perfect - but l like to invest time into making things easier for me...and people who have to print some of my larger work for exhibitions.

This new Imac looks very interesting - larger retina screen even easier on the eyes - makes photos shine too. Pete will definitely get one - but the NEC will stay next to it.

Congratulations on your grandfatherdom Guy - all the best to your daughter.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I've been using a 15inch retina display macbookpro or whatever they are called - because it is very easy on the eye and does make stuff look very nice. For prints which need calibration to a bunch of profiles I use for stuff that requires as good as you can get - I use an NEC monitor which sits plugged into the book as a dual screen..

This is hardly rocket science -just makes it easier to get prints done as accurately to profiles as possible - which saves time mucking around with test prints etc. yes it is a hassle to profie your total workflow - and yes nothing is ever perfect - but l like to invest time into making things easier for me...and people who have to print some of my larger work for exhibitions.

This new Imac looks very interesting - larger retina screen even easier on the eyes - makes photos shine too. Pete will definitely get one - but the NEC will stay next to it.

Congratulations on your grandfatherdom Guy - all the best to your daughter.
    +1

Hi Peter!

Hey Guy, looking forward to seeing pics from a proud Grandpapa!

All the beat,

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's an image from Gizmodo showing a photo at 100% zoom on the old iMac (right) and the new Retina iMac (left).
    Last edited by bradhusick; 16th March 2015 at 21:20.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

Mine arrived.

5k by unoh7, on Flickr

I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, my 5K review is up at Huff's site:
    Right Here!!