Site Sponsors

Thread: C1-8's new Film Grain tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile C1-8's new Film Grain tool

Just need to say it's very cool and surprisingly realistic. I have only just begun experimenting with it, and then today saw this release of the Image Quality Professor from PhaseOne. It is worth a read to see how this new tool works:

Film Grain, the right photorealistic way - The Image Quality Professor's Blog

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: C1-8's new Film Grain tool

Here's an image from our Yosemite workshop earlier this year. This is a D800e file and the lens is the 85mm Petzval with the f4 stop in. Processed 100% in C1 for sepia and now grain:

Here is an actual pixel crop from the full-sized file to give an idea of actual structure rendered by the tool. There are 6 basic grain settings from "Fine" to "Harsh," and then each one is tunable from 0 to 100 on "Impact" and "Granularity." This is "Tabular" grain (moderately strong, or one level below "Harsh") set to impact at 68 and granularity 80:

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, that looks gorgeous! Have you printed yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cam,

Actually, no I haven't -- one other thing I should have mentioned, when you add grain, you need to do it with your final output size in mind. So while this image looks good on the monitor, I'd need to tweak the grain settings to replicate that in print.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Hi Cam,

Actually, no I haven't -- one other thing I should have mentioned, when you add grain, you need to do it with your final output size in mind. So while this image looks good on the monitor, I'd need to tweak the grain settings to replicate that in print.
    Thank you, Jack. I read the article and I do understand the concept.

I shoot a lot of high ISO shots and, rather than removing a lot of noise, I prefer to add grain to it to give it a more organic feel in print… Finding good grain is not so easy, so this feature may be the tipping point for upgrading once again.

I have one shot I need to work for print next week -- nephew and girlfriend at 10,000 ISO on the MM, shot in almost complete darkness on a rooftop terrace in Florence -- so it won't be easy! I'll give it a try with a few different variations (and papers) and report back.

Whilst it's lovely and all to look nice on screen, I care much more about the final output