The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Performance Issues

Amin

Anyone else have problems with Capture One Pro 8 occasionally freezing or being unresponsive? I'm sure my system is up to spec:

-Core i7-4770k processor
-Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD for OS and apps
-Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD for C1 Catalog
-WD Black 2GB HDD for images
-EVGA GTX 780 ti (recommended by Phase One for C1 performance)
-Open CL acceleration set to "Auto"
-32GB RAM

My catalog has 47761 images, and I don't want to have to break it up.

I find Lightroom to have far better performance and stability, but C1 gives me better looking images. Just wish it ran smoother.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I don't use catalogs since I prefer the session paradigm and had early issues with them.
Sorry to not be able to help.
-bob

Amin

Thanks for replying, Bob. Maybe I do need to use smaller catalogs or work in sessions.

In Lightroom I keep all my RAW files in one big catalog, and when I want to look at photos of my kids from 7-8 years ago, I just scroll through the catalog. I want to replace Lightroom with C1, but this ability to scroll through all my photos ever is something I'd hate to give up.

Amin

I just realized that the SSD that contains my catalog is getting low on free space. Perhaps this is the cause of my problems. I'm off to Micro Center in a bit to get a larger SSD and will report back as to whether this fixes things. I'd love to keep the RAW files on an SSD as well, but it's just not feasible for me at this time.

Amin

Well that seems to have helped a little, but I still get better performance working in sessions. I think I'll use sessions to do RAW processing in C1 and then archive the RAWs to Lightroom for cataloging. Wish I could have a 1-stop option, but this will be okay too.

archiM44

After loyally trying catalogs with everything new version of Capture ONE I return to LR and sessions. I have all my images on my iMac HD along with documents ans music, and programs, catalogs system and libraries on SSD. I tried Media Pro which worked very well as a catalog with none of the hangups and other misery of the C1 catalog but have Always returned to LR where I import images initially, send the images to C1 session for development, output to the same folder and back into LR using the synchronize folder command.

mesposito

The most common reason for freezing in Capture One is OpenCL. Set this to Never in preferences. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

archiM44

The issues I had with capture one catalogs have been resolved in version 8.1
By the way, switching open cl on or off did not make any difference on my system