The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Really weird problem!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Can anybody help me please!

RAW files from my A7 MK2 load perfectly on my Mac Retina (Yosemite) but not on my Mac Pro (also Yosemite.)

This is weird because A7r RAW and Phase One IQ180 RAW files load perfectly on both computers. A7 MK2 JPEGS load perfectly on both computers.

Although the A72 RAWs appear in my files (I keep files by date and load Sessions on C1) as 24.9 megs, they don't show up in Capture One, Lightroom or Preview on the Mac Pro - but do on the Mac Retina.

I've tried different cards and readers. I've tried RAW+JPG but only the JPGs show up. I've tried connecting the camera directly, works fine on the Retina but not the Mac Pro.

HELP! Please!

Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Some more info! The problem files are showing up like this:

The red lines are the symbol for Parallels Desktop, which enables me to run some Windows programs on my Mac Pro. The files WILL open in Windows Image Data Converter.

So for some reason, when A72 files download to my Mac Pro, they get tagged as Windows files and won't open in Mac apps. This must be something that the Mac Pro is doing ONLY with these files - a7r files do not have the red lines and work fine.

So is there a computer expert here who can tell me how to stop this "identity crisis"?

Please,
Bill

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bill,

Try as a test moving one of the files to your MAC desktop...in the finder right click on it and pick OPEN WITH...you favorite program on the MAC side. You can with get info pick the program which will be the default for these files.

I am not sure why Parallels has co-opted the opening of these files. You may need to investigate how you can return the preferred program to the MAC side.

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
So under GET INFO you can set the default for any type of file and make it the standard for all such files...try looking at open with change all similar files....

Bob

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Bob. The Get Info default seems to work on the Retina because it doesn't have Parallels - but on the Mac Pro it doesn't work. The file just goes blank!

Interestingly the A72 files that are imported to the Retina show the same red bands unlike all other camera RAW files. They open in C1 only, I suspect, because there is no Parallels on the Retina.

Also, they do not show tiny thumbnails for each file - just the striped symbol I show above.

As you suggest, I've got to find a way to stop the a72 files being "striped" in the first place.

Thanks for your thoughts and any others you may have!

Bill

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Mac Pro probably assigns Parallels to the RAW files because it cannot find any other valid RAW converter for the files. My guess is that there's an update missing in either ACR or C1 or both. Are you sure you are on exactly the same level of ACR and C1 on both computers?

D

Deleted member 7792

Make sure you're running ACR 8.7.1 and LR 5.7.1 on both computers.

Joe

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks, Jorgen & Joe - you're right! I had Capture One 8.1 on the Retina and Capture One 8.0 on the Pro. When I updated the Pro to 8.1 the problem disappeared.

With both computers the file symbol remains blank and I believe that's because Preview does not yet handle a7Mark2 files. (A7r, a99, IQ180 all show tiny thumbnails.)

I rarely use LR but I will update it on principal.

Thanks you Bob, Jorgen and Joe for your help. This IS a great Forum!

Bill