Site Sponsors

Thread: Okay Okay - Aperture to Capture One 8?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay Okay - Aperture to Capture One 8?

Hi There
    I've looked at Photos, and whilst there are some nice things, it's no substitute for Aperture.
    So - I know Lightroom quite well, and I've been using it this year instead of Aperture. . . . but I can't love it - especially the 'clone' tool is rubbish, and I use it quite a lot for removing unwanted elements in images. I'm not really happy with the cataloguing either.

Worth mentioning that I've always used Aperture with 'referenced' files rather than 'managed'

I've used Capture One in the past, but hadn't realised how much they had upgraded the DAM functionality.

What do you think?

Just this guy you know

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Okay Okay - Aperture to Capture One 8?

I'm using a referenced Capture One catalog for all my Phase and Sony files. It works quite well. Non referenced libraries are easier to relocate, but limit cross-processing.

I load each shoot into a Session, work on the files there, and then import the Session into the Referenced Catalog for better searching. That may be a wildly suboptimal, and I'm open to suggestions.

But the Catalog feature in v8 seems quite stable.

--Matt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

don't think Capture One has the ability to work on raws for the new OMD E5 Mark II...YET

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    don't think Capture One has the ability to work on raws for the new OMD E5 Mark II...YET
    Hi John
    Neither does Lightroom!
    All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Capture One 8 Pro is a huge improvement in the cataloging department as in it actually works now. Do the 60 day trial and see if it'll work for you.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Capture One 8 Pro is a huge improvement in the cataloging department as in it actually works now. Do the 60 day trial and see if it'll work for you.
    Hi There
    Well - the purchase price is no issue - I have a previous version, and the upgrade price is very reasonable . . . The expense is the time taken in learning it properly!

I've been fiddling about, I'm getting more and more impressed.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I even took the drastic step of getting printing to work from C1

--Matt

(It's not straightforward - settings have to match in a few places. It's important to follow the steps in the online documentation exactly as outlined.)
    Last edited by MGrayson; 18th March 2015 at 13:27.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i still use PS on C1 output .tif files to do final dust removal and image sizing and printing, though i do use dust removal to some extent in C1
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone used Media Pro?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Has anyone used Media Pro?
    I tried to use it with C1P7... It was very glitchy so I promptly deleted it from my computer. Maybe they've improved it since though. This was about a year ago prior to C1P8 being released.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I tried to use it with C1P7... It was very glitchy so I promptly deleted it from my computer. Maybe they've improved it since though. This was about a year ago prior to C1P8 being released.
    Thank you!

Capture One is, and pretty much always has been, my RAW processor of choice and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. (Pleased Jono has seen the light I've been haranguing him for years!)

However, I'd like to have a proper DAM to wrangle all my photos (years worth) and I'm not sure C1P8 is enough -- though it would definitely make things easier!

Guess I'll download a trial of Media Pro and see if it plays nice (or not) with my new computer... I'm really trying to avoid going to Lightroom for my DAM (I'm not fond of the processing), but think I'll need more than C1P unless they integrate the two programs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no stick in the C1 game; I use LR and get what I want out of it, I like the way it works, and through several iterations of C1 test drives I didn't see much that I could do better than I do with LR. Whatever makes you happy. But regards DAM ...

Guess I'll download a trial of Media Pro and see if it plays nice (or not) with my new computer...
    I used Media Pro until Microsoft bought it. Then MS ruined it, IMO: turned into buggy crap. Luckily, that was right about when Lightroom was released (2006-2007), so I just moved my files into LR and deleted Media Pro. I've not looked back since. Luckily, LR does a decent enough job of it for my needs; I have no problem using it to manage a 300,000+ image file library spanning three terabytes of data.

If I wasn't using Lightroom, I'm not sure what app I'd be using for DAM at this point. I've had some interaction with Cumulus at work, but it seems much more than I need for my personal work.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I have no stick in the C1 game; I use LR and get what I want out of it, I like the way it works, and through several iterations of C1 test drives I didn't see much that I could do better than I do with LR. Whatever makes you happy. But regards DAM ...

I used Media Pro until Microsoft bought it. Then MS ruined it, IMO: turned into buggy crap. Luckily, that was right about when Lightroom was released (2006-2007), so I just moved my files into LR and deleted Media Pro. I've not looked back since. Luckily, LR does a decent enough job of it for my needs; I have no problem using it to manage a 300,000+ image file library spanning three terabytes of data.

If I wasn't using Lightroom, I'm not sure what app I'd be using for DAM at this point. I've had some interaction with Cumulus at work, but it seems much more than I need for my personal work.

G
    Cheers, Godfrey!

(And apologies, Jono, for somewhat -- okay, a lot -- hijacking your thread )

Lightroom does not float my boat as far as processing, pretty much for any camera I currently use... However, it may be my DAM. Thank you for sharing your experiences with Media Pro (htf do you import or access keywords???) and mentioning Cumulus.... I am currently paying for nearly a decade of digital photography with no organisation whatsoever (unless you count shoebox files with cameras, lenses, and keywords used for folders).
    my flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Capture One is, and pretty much always has been, my RAW processor of choice and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. (Pleased Jono has seen the light I've been haranguing him for years!)

However, I'd like to have a proper DAM to wrangle all my photos (years worth) and I'm not sure C1P8 is enough -- though it would definitely make things easier!

Guess I'll download a trial of Media Pro and see if it plays nice (or not) with my new computer... I'm really trying to avoid going to Lightroom for my DAM (I'm not fond of the processing), but think I'll need more than C1P unless they integrate the two programs.
    I've started using C1P8 more as it works better natively with Sony files and my FS converted A7R as well. I actually am using the DAM features of C1P8 for these as well because the DAM portion actually works now. I still have LR and PS because I have the bulk of my pics over there but C1P8 is growing on me since they've made it a lot more LR-like in stability and features. I don't know that you will see performance issues with larger libraries but I generally keep my pics on an external HDD for storage. Hardly ever an issue with USB3 ports since it runs as fast as some data buses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Everyone
    Cam, you didn't hijack the thread, you woke it up

Silas and I had both reluctantly plumped for LR last year - and I've been using it exclusively since (as a DAM as well as a processor - to be honest I think you MUST use the same program for both, otherwise workflow becomes really complex).

We were both 'happy' enough . . . but just loading CO 8 was a real relief - I'm with the DAM as well Tre - sure, there may be glitches coming up , but the filters etc. work really well. We've both paid for the upgrade.

The local adjustments and the clone/heal tool are brilliant - much better than LR or Aperture. What's more, there are loads of useful free tutorials, and technical support answer questions almost immediately.

I'm thinking I've found a new home (I'm sure there'll be a leak in the roof, but it's seeming great right now!).

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Finding home is the important part, no matter where it might be.

G
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Saul seems Sceptical:

Leica T with 18-56 zoom

Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

looks a lot like your avatar image jono

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    looks a lot like your avatar image jono
    I'm flattered John . . . but I'm not sure that he would be

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono I'm glad you found a home and hopefully they'll add support to your EM5-II.

I actually like the "natural" setting and the HDR settings to do less extreme (read: much smoother) shadow and highlight recovery. I think LR5 does it better for extreme cases where you completely flubbed the exposure at the risk of digital artifacts beyond that 60-70 slider mark.

For light corrections I prefer to use C1P8 though and again the color seems a bit more consistent with Sony cameras since they re-profiled them. It's sort of like the connection Adobe has with Leica. That being said I do miss some of my old filters from LR5 but I've created some of my own styles that I like in C1P8. Most importantly I am glad the software isn't as glitchy compared to past versions which resulted in my abandoning the software altogether.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this video very helpful to get a good overview of how Capture One Pro is structured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KqYfjVt50
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Neither does Lightroom!
    Jono, you're a Mac user, right? Isn't RAW support in the Macs on the OS level and not individual applications? Or does that apply to Aperture, iPhoto and other Apple applications only?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I found this video very helpful to get a good overview of how Capture One Pro is structured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KqYfjVt50
    Cheers!

I was wondering where my Process tool had gone
    my flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    Well - the purchase price is no issue - I have a previous version, and the upgrade price is very reasonable . . . The expense is the time taken in learning it properly!
    Wow, it seems that one can upgrade pretty cheaply not only from a previous Pro version, but also from Express versions, for 69 € in the Euro zone. The Express has been given for free many times in different promotions.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-St...tailsPage.aspx

EDIT: Blah. 85,50 € with VAT.
    Last edited by emr; 21st March 2015 at 07:19.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Jono, you're a Mac user, right? Isn't RAW support in the Macs on the OS level and not individual applications? Or does that apply to Aperture, iPhoto and other Apple applications only?
    Hi There
    yes - that only applies to Apple applications - Lightroom, Capture One etc. have their own recipes.

All the best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jono. Here one learns something new every day.

BTW, have you seen this?

Capture One Pro 8 Webinar | How to Migrate from Apple Aperture to Capture One Pro 8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am dreading the move fro Aperture. My entire workflow is based around it. Ugh.
    My Blog | Music | flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what Apple dropping Aperture actually means. Of course no more new features or versions. Probably no bug corrections either. But for how long does the current version work in future OS versions? Will adding Photos raw support for new cameras also work for the good ole' Aperture?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder what Apple dropping Aperture actually means. Of course no more new features or versions. Probably no bug corrections either. But for how long does the current version work in future OS versions? Will adding Photos raw support for new cameras also work for the good ole' Aperture?
    HI There
    Yes - adding new cameras will work for Aperture - at least until Yosemite's replacement - no need to jump straight away (and I've certainly not burned any boats). It's perfectly possible that Photos will come up to scratch by then as well. Here's Hoping (I'm getting a bit tired of their slow support of new cameras though - and especially Leica cameras).

Thanks for the link about converting Aperture libraries - long time before I do that, but I've used the tool to convert my Lightroom library from this year, and it worked really well. quick and painless.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

With Apple solutions, raw file support is implemented at the operating system level. Like Jono said, new file support for Photos will work for Aperture too.

The issue is that at one time a new OS X release will kill Aperture compatibility. We will not know when that will happen, either with a minor or a major update.

Apple is pushing Aperture users to Photos. Once there (Aperture users) percentage is below a certain threshold, they (Apple) will stop maintaining the application. With their speed of software development, the upcoming 10.10.3 update is the first nail at Apertures coffin.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steunebrink View Post
    Apple is pushing Aperture users to Photos. Once there (Aperture users) percentage is below a certain threshold, they (Apple) will stop maintaining the application. With their speed of software development, the upcoming 10.10.3 update is the first nail at Apertures coffin.
    Apple sent the entire licensed Aperture user base a note already (actually at least two, to my recollection) announcing the plan to discontinue Aperture. They've already stopped maintenance and development, based on what I read in the recent one. They also worked with Adobe and other vendors to assist them with migration from Aperture for those higher end customers who need more than Photos can provide in the short term.

I have had Aperture for a long time. It did a good job but I never liked using it much; Lightroom's workflow and UI is simpler and more to my liking.

I've tried Capture One several times, most recently the version 8 trial, and while it can do a good job I find it overly complex and more similar to Aperture than Lightroom. I mean, in the two videos pointed at by this links in this thread, the first is thirty minutes long, twenty of which are spent just in "how do I configure a workspace so that I can see what controls are what", the other is an hour long and it isn't until about the forty-fifth minute that it gets past the "ok, you've imported some photos".

To me, that's pretty bad. I learned the basics of how to use Lightroom (import, organize, develop, export and print) in five minutes without any training videos or assistance. it was immediately accessible and understandable, to me at least, and its feature set and capabilities has continued to expand in sensible ways. It does nearly everything I need to do in basic image processing now, with only the higher end creative stuff (borders, complex compositing, etc) left to more sophisticated pixel editors.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've been playing with the Apple Photos beta and actually find it much more to my liking than iPhoto or Aperture. Just like the revamped Pages app, it's a bit simplistic now on first introduction, but I think it will grow and scale nicely with the latest capability in the OS for app extensions. My main photo workflow continues to be Lightroom.

Different strokes for different folks. It's all good. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Apple sent the entire licensed Aperture user base a note already (actually at least two, to my recollection) announcing the plan to discontinue Aperture. They've already stopped maintenance and development, based on what I read in the recent one. They also worked with Adobe and other vendors to assist them with migration from Aperture for those higher end customers who need more than Photos can provide in the short term.

I have had Aperture for a long time. It did a good job but I never liked using it much; Lightroom's workflow and UI is simpler and more to my liking.

I've tried Capture One several times, most recently the version 8 trial, and while it can do a good job I find it overly complex and more similar to Aperture than Lightroom. I mean, in the two videos pointed at by this links in this thread, the first is thirty minutes long, twenty of which are spent just in "how do I configure a workspace so that I can see what controls are what", the other is an hour long and it isn't until about the forty-fifth minute that it gets past the "ok, you've imported some photos".

To me, that's pretty bad. I learned the basics of how to use Lightroom (import, organize, develop, export and print) in five minutes without any training videos or assistance. it was immediately accessible and understandable, to me at least, and its feature set and capabilities has continued to expand in sensible ways. It does nearly everything I need to do in basic image processing now, with only the higher end creative stuff (borders, complex compositing, etc) left to more sophisticated pixel editors.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've been playing with the Apple Photos beta and actually find it much more to my liking than iPhoto or Aperture. Just like the revamped Pages app, it's a bit simplistic now on first introduction, but I think it will grow and scale nicely with the latest capability in the OS for app extensions. My main photo workflow continues to be Lightroom.

Different strokes for different folks. It's all good. :-)

G
    What you described was my initial aversion to Capture One. The "NEED" to watch videos to learn how to perform the basics. I think that aspect of an otherwise great RAW processor is absurd. I don't always make or have time to watch YouTube videos to do things that should be quick and easy like simple editing... and no attempting to sell me a $99+ class for the new software I bought from a "Master" isn't a viable response IMO.

The other issues (and its a big one) was the glitchy nature of older versions prior to version 8. Really the main thing that drew me to even try version 8 was the increased Sony support and the ability to work with Full Spectrum/IR images (once I decided to convert my A7R) much easier in C1P8 than I could in Lightroom. I still maintain a Adobe CC account for Photoshop but I can actually see myself shifting away from Lightroom... Slightly. Lightroom is still vastly superior to C1 for printing IMO.

I'm willing to deal with the steeper learning curve (within reason which Phase One borders on absurd with) but software that constant crashes will swiftly get deleted from the hard drive. As long as they keep the software working and mostly bug free I will use it.

Post Thanks / Like

This conversation bums me out. I've installed the demo version of both C1 and LR, and using either one of them feels "all thumbs" to me. I've used Aperture for so long I don't even have to think about how I'm using it -- it just happens. Freaking Apple :-(

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    This conversation bums me out. I've installed the demo version of both C1 and LR, and using either one of them feels "all thumbs" to me. I've used Aperture for so long I don't even have to think about how I'm using it -- it just happens. Freaking Apple :-(
    Mike, I know the feeling, but learning new things can have its rewards.
    Unfortunately it takes time that one would rather spend on other things.
    This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KqYfjVt50 actually helped me a bit to get a good overview of Capture One Pro. I had to watch it several times to take it all in. But that's just me. Good luck. I also would be interested on your take of this video. Thanks.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get bummed out. It's just users reporting their experiences. That being said I started with LR2, moved to Aperture 3, then back to LR for version 4 because I got sick of the slow Apple updates/wanted improved lens profiles.

The takeaway is that any raw processor will do a decent enough job alone. All "require" PS or Elements to do some higher level functions like layers.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually Capture One has layers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Actually Capture One has layers.
    And so does Lightroom, although it masks them to keep the user interface simple.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So I was speaking specifically of the ability to do advanced Photoshop type layers.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matt,

And I feel the same when I start to use Aperture.

We get used to what we know and its always tricky to move out your comfort zone.

I try to make that as easy as possible with Webinars, Videos and not to mention our blog.

Otherwise, don't be afraid to approach a Phase One partner for one to one tuition.

David
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S