The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 6 now available

V

Vivek

LR 5.7.1 claims these updates are available only to lead to an error page! :mad:

Facial recognition

HDR merge

Panorama merge

baudolino

Only available if you log into your Apple account and order the CC Photo package (Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC). It is not available as a stand-alone product anymore, only through the Creative Cloud subscription. I've just been through the process in the past hour or so...

Godfrey

Hmm.

Clicked the Download button on the dialog in LR 5.7.
Brought me to a page ballyhooing LR CC and subscription.
Scroll to the bottom right and there's a button to buy a full version of LR6 for $150.

G

jlancasterd

Indeed there is,add the app to the basket and when in the basket hit edit on top right.. then you can change Full to Upgrade..

Rob
You also have to confirm that you have an earlier version of Lightroom.

The upgrade costs just over £59 in UK and it does contain a profile for the new Sigma 24mm f1.4 - plus a whole slew of other 3rd party lenses, including the Voigtlander 20mm in Nikon SL2 mount

iiiNelson

Yeah I will update tonight. There are a host of PS CC and Bridge CC updates as well. Lightroom will remain a standalone product... for now anyway.

f6cvalkyrie

The status of Lightroom as a stand-alone product may well vary from region to region. Here in Belgium, and till now, I cannot download Lightroom 6 unless I join some kind of CC membership. Which I don't want ...

Anyway, I can do HDR and panos in other programs, and do not see the utility of face recognition ... so, why update ???

C U
Rafael

Godfrey

The status of Lightroom as a stand-alone product may well vary from region to region. Here in Belgium, and till now, I cannot download Lightroom 6 unless I join some kind of CC membership. Which I don't want ...

Anyway, I can do HDR and panos in other programs, and do not see the utility of face recognition ... so, why update ???

C U
Rafael
I think they're asking you to have an Adobe ID for one-time purchase verification and validation, not "joining CC". There's value in that: with an Adobe ID, you can retrieve all your license keys if your hard disk dies, reinstall and validate any of your products without a bunch of time on the phone with customer support.

I don't use CC so I don't have a CC account enabled, but I've had an Adobe ID for years and always get good use out of it.

G

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Installed LR CC but when I tried to open the program crashes... So maybe this is just a bug. Oh well I will reinstall and see.

iiiNelson

Figured out the problem.

If you ever get the glitch where the splash page begins to start only to immediately crash then you'll have to logout of Adobe CC (not close Creative Cloud but actually sign out/ log out of it.) After sign out is completed then sign back in and it should start up after you click on LR CC.

mathomas

Sadly, after forking over the big bux for C1 and spending more time with it, I'm starting to wonder if I should have just defaulted to LR. I was turned off by the Creative Cloud thing, though. Interesting to see it's still available for outright old-school license purchase. Maybe I'll buy the new LR and have the world's most expensive copy of LR (taking into account my possibly wasted purchase of C1).

k-hawinkler

I have been slowly getting into C1Pro and finding it takes me less work to produce better results than I could accomplish with LR, CS6, and Nik alone. I also use Iridient. All these apps work very well together and each one contributes unique capabilities. I would not want to miss any one of them. They are worth spending some time getting into to a certain degree for sure.

mathomas

I have been slowly getting into C1Pro and finding it takes me less work to produce better results than I could accomplish with LR, CS6, and Nik alone. I also use Iridient. All these apps work very well together and each one contributes unique capabilities. I would not want to miss any one of them. They are worth spending some time getting into to a certain degree for sure.
I recognize your name as a C1 convert. I remember you kindly replied to one of my posts elsewhere. I hate to derail the thread, but I also don't want to force you to go looking for my latest whiny post where I beg someone to answer "is there any actually efficient way to add keyword(s) to multiple photos at once in C1?". So is there? I can't find it if there is. All I can find is copy/apply, which is a very pale shade of useful, and enough to make me not want to use C1 since tagging/keywording is super-important to me.

Thanks, from a fellow C1 newbie.

Edit
Never mind. The poor way that C1 manages keywords seems to be the only way according to an answer over on my post (and also according to the link below). Bummer, and actually astonishing (IMO) in "modern" image management software.

https://photoapps.expert/forum/capture-one-keywording/14356#.VTw5x3BOKrU

Last edited:
The upgrade path for LR6 is different. Apparently you can only purchase the version six upgrade from Adobe directly (perhaps trying to force users to the Creative Cloud?) and after you make the on-line purchase you must be sure to copy the version 6.0 serial number while at the Adobe site. During install it is this serial number (version 6.0) that you need to supply when they first ask for a serial number. Subsequent to entering the version 6.0 serial number, you will receive a message confirming that this is a valid serial number but also requesting you to supply the serial number of a qualifying product (i.e. LR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ) which you must also enter.

The thing that was not clear to me was that during the install, when you are first requested to enter a serial number, I assumed that a qualifying (previous version) product serial number was what they wanted. It took about three hours to figure that out ( I entered each of the five previous version serial numbers and it still would not accept them). I find Adobe Systems a very difficult company to do business with. I hope this helps those who are upgrading Lightroom but not going for the Creative Cloud option. The upgrade price is $79.00 and the full price is $150.

P.S. Adobe also sends you the Lightroom V6.0 serial number via e-mail if you forget to write it down when you visit the web site.

Last edited: