The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capure One Pro 8 vs Lightroom 5/6 for catalogue

Hi,

I want to move away from Adobe LR. For a fast selection of my "keepers", I use already Photo Mechanic 5.

As a RAW converter COPro 8 seems to be a good solution for Fuji, Nikon and Ricoh GR RAW files, as far as I can read on the net.

Who has experience with the other features of Capture One Pro 8? It seems that in version 7, the catalogue was horrible and unreliable. How is it now in version 8?

Is it stable ebough for around 100k images? How is speed, keywording etc. in comparison to LR5 or LR6?

Is there any other software you would recommend just for this catalogue part of the workflow? I do not mind to use different software for each step as long as it is as good as or better than LR.

Thanks

eleanorbrown

Lightroom makes it so easy to manage images but I prefer the RAW conversion in C1. I am trying to import some RAWs from one C1 catalog into another C1 catalog WITH EXISTING ADJUSTMENTS. I have tried to do this several times and while files transfer they come without any adjustments I'd made in the original catalog. What am I doing wrong? many many thanks, Eleanor

Godfrey

Why do you want to move away from Lightroom? If any other solution has to be "as good as or better than Lightroom", it sounds like you find Lightroom pretty competent and satisfying for your image processing.

Many will express that they like one or the other package, and combinations of packages more than Lightroom, I'm sure.

I'm lazy: I'm getting the results I like with LR and don't see much point to switching to something else. If Adobe pisses me off, I'll just keep using the version I have until it doesn't run any more since I don't see myself buying any new cameras that LR doesn't already handle well.

G

eleanorbrown

Actually I use Lightroom literally for EVERYTHING except RAW processing. Lightroom is a no brainer and very intuitive but I think C1 does a better job with my RAWs. From there with processed tifs, etc. I go to lightroom! Eleanor

Why do you want to move away from Lightroom? If any other solution has to be "as good as or better than Lightroom", it sounds like you find Lightroom pretty competent and satisfying for your image processing.

Many will express that they like one or the other package, and combinations of packages more than Lightroom, I'm sure.

I'm lazy: I'm getting the results I like with LR and don't see much point to switching to something else. If Adobe pisses me off, I'll just keep using the version I have until it doesn't run any more since I don't see myself buying any new cameras that LR doesn't already handle well.

G

Why do you want to move away from Lightroom? If any other solution has to be "as good as or better than Lightroom", it sounds like you find Lightroom pretty competent and satisfying for your image processing. ...

G
No, I am not satisfied with LR. It is just the lowest benchmark other sofftware has to beat. Years ago I had high hopes for LR. But it turned out, that Adobe stopped really pushing the envelope for RAW conversion and post processing. Best seen with Fuji files.

Adobe has so much money and so much manpower, and still they do not try it harder than others to offer the best for their customers. Since version 4 there have not been really major improvements. The lazyness, speed to offer and results of Fuji RAW conversion was just the push I needed to look for alternatives.

I stopped now with LR5. No interest in LR6. No interest in subscription models neither. Adobe is not too big to fail. Obviously they try hard to loose customers for years now. There is just no reason to stick with LR, if so many better alternatives are out there.

Sticking with LR is like buying a camera with a worse sensor, just because the other camera with the better sensor has different menu settings or a different colour ;)

How much do we spend on new cameras each year? Thousands of dollars. Each time with new menues, new handling etc. How much costs LR or C1? 200-300 bucks? Just think about it...

Godfrey

No, I am not satisfied with LR. It is just the lowest benchmark other sofftware has to beat. Years ago I had high hopes for LR. But it turned out, that Adobe stopped really pushing the envelope for RAW conversion and post processing. Best seen with Fuji files.
Well, we don't share the same opinion.

My feeling, after seeing Lightroom and six other raw processors stumble over Fuji's sensor, and looking at the best results that Fuji's own raw processing produces, is that there's insufficient benefits offered by this sensor design to warrant the extraordinary work that its data requires. I chose to abandon any interest in Fuji cameras and stick with cameras that work better and more compatibly with a broader range of excellent image processing tools.

Adobe has improved LR with every major revision; they're not all the same. There are also limits to how much improvement there can be once you reach the quality that LR has already—there's a reason why LR and the Camera Raw plugin are arguably the standards of the industry today, with Phase One's Capture One being the only major contender, and the bunch of smaller, lesser known competitors whose products addressing niche communities of users.

What would you consider major improvement, other than your obvious desire to see better Fuji specific processing? Note that the things which would make Fuji raw processing better are quite likely not going to be the things that improve most other cameras' raw processing, due to the unique architecture of the Fuji sensors.

How much do we spend on new cameras each year? Thousands of dollars. Each time with new menues, new handling etc. How much costs LR or C1? 200-300 bucks? Just think about it...
I have. I think the collective We spends way too much on new cameras every year. We'd gain far more by using and becoming expert with the cameras and workflow we already have, most of the time. I'm personally as guilty as anyone in this regard. The diminishing gains of new sensors and new menus, more features, more this, more that, are not producing more great photographs. The cost of these things is irrelevant; lusting for the "next great camera" is another mythic failure in turning us into great photographers, great artists.

Only we can do that with deep and protracted study, innovative vision, hard work, and time.

From my experiments with C1 pro 8, I doubt that the difference between it and Lightroom will endow my photos with any particular genius. :)

G

Jim DE

Godfrey, Personally I just don't like Adobe software. I will admit it is the most powerful software out there but I have had the current versions of photoshop and CS from PS7 through CS6 and have copies of LR5 and LR6. I have taken many college courses on using the photoshops/CS softwares over the years and for me the user interface is like a monkey with a football.

Now that they went to the cloud and monthly charges for me that sealed their fate for me.......... I don't like clouds or leases. Plus their Customer Service has to be the biggest cluster ---- on the web today. I spent 6 friggin hours one day try to get my upgrade from LR5 to LR6 to take. It was only when I called sales and finally got a english speaking person on the other end (odd only sales had a american person huh?_)and I told them I wanted my money back did this issue which was on their end get resolved in 10 minutes. You could not give me their products for free for the rest of my life...... no matter how powerful they may be. Fact is I may of used my photoshops 1-3 times per year on images I had to save otherwise I was in Aperture.

I am getting more and more use to C1 and personally for the a7rII it has a better IQ out of the box than my LR6 anyway. I won't get another adobe software product the rest of my life..... I am done with them once they announce the lack of support for stand alone software.