The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommend a Fast Card reader

rollsman44

Can you recommend a Card Reader that will can use CF and SD cards and download at a Fast speed. Something reliable.
I am down loading Big files( Hassy H4D-40 ) plus Nikon FF Thank you

Pradeep

I had the Lexar that Joe recommended and it worked fine until I bent a pin in the CF socket. I shopped around and found this for less than half the price and it works just as good.
Supports USB 3.0 for CF, SD and micro SD cards. Under $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Hi-Speed-Reader-FCR-HS4/dp/B00VAGX6MW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
I have both, in fact two of the Kingstons. One died on me during a trip to France, I haven't used the other since then. It was within a couple of months of purchasing it.

I have four Lexar readers (long story) and they have all be perfect.

I also tested the speed of reading from both cards, they match well, so in that regard if the Kingston works for you then its fine. Reliability is a bit questionable but perhaps that too is sporadic.

Godfrey

I wonder why there aren't more thunderbolt card readers?
Thunderbolt is overkill for the transfer speed of any current SD cards. The very fastest cards available today run about 300Mbps read speed.

Compared to connection protocols:

• USB2 runs up to 500Mbps
  • FW800 runs up to 800Mbps
  • USB3 up to 5Gbps
  • Thunderbolt 1 runs at 10Gbps
  • Thunderbolt 2 at 20Gbps

All you'd be doing by creating a card reader with TB interface is adding cost unnecessarily. USB3 is indeed a bit of overkill already, but doesn't cost any more than USB2 (and generally seems to be more reliably implemented in my experience).

G

gazwas

I use the a Lexar professional workflow USB3 CF card reader and from new on an iMac it's been a complete PITA. First card of the day takes an absolute age to be recognised and transfer speeds are a joke, however if you eject the card once it's finally recognised and push straight back in it works completely fine and very quick.

Having just purchased a Sony camera, I needed an SD reader and decided to avoid Lexar and go for the Kingston HS4 media reader after reading the reviews that suggest as quick as the Lexar with better speeds over a wider range of cards and file sizes. Will let you know What I think when it arrives in the next few days.

Rachael Alice

Not Available
I suggest you lexar joe which is best and fast card reader as compare to other. I use this for long time and it's very reliable also.