The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice Sought on Profiling Solution

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
For years we used the old i1 Display Pro profiling system which covered our display profiling as well as making custom paper/printing profiles . Because these don t seem to work any longer with upgraded Mac OS ...its time for a new system . These were expensive even 10 years ago and now they appear to be in that range of $1350 (assuming I just purchased the new version of what I have ). FYI pretty sure this can t be upgraded so its a brand new purchase .

I have no need for CMYK profiles and maybe not even custom/paper/printer profiles . We use two new printers Epson P600 (in Florida) and a P800 (in Atlanta ) . I print primarily on Epson Exhibition grade printers and frankly I don t print much (expect that to change but my printing will be for my use and not commercial volumes ). So I will probably use the Epson profiles and just fine tune my print versions of the images .

We have NEC monitors and MacBooks ...probably 6-8 between three photographers . The intention would be to share the calibration system.

Advice ? Experience ?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
For years we used the old i1 Display Pro profiling system which covered our display profiling as well as making custom paper/printing profiles . Because these don t seem to work any longer with upgraded Mac OS ...its time for a new system . These were expensive even 10 years ago and now they appear to be in that range of $1350 (assuming I just purchased the new version of what I have ). FYI pretty sure this can t be upgraded so its a brand new purchase .

I have no need for CMYK profiles and maybe not even custom/paper/printer profiles . We use two new printers Epson P600 (in Florida) and a P800 (in Atlanta ) . I print primarily on Epson Exhibition grade printers and frankly I don t print much (expect that to change but my printing will be for my use and not commercial volumes ). So I will probably use the Epson profiles and just fine tune my print versions of the images .

We have NEC monitors and MacBooks ...probably 6-8 between three photographers . The intention would be to share the calibration system.

Advice ? Experience ?
I use the i1 Display Pro and it works with the new i1Profiler 1.6.31 on El Capitan so I assume that you may need to register your old device with X-Rite and get newer software?

There is an upgrade to version 2 of the i1 spectra named Upgrade A but only for the Pro Profiler and it is $1695 discounted ... so your old i1Pro should work ... used mine this past week ... have 4 week reminders set in the
software.

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1947&catid=109

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/asset.php?fid=94726&uid=312&d=1443121217

Bob

Attachments

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I also use i1 and IIRC I had to upgrade the software for the first OSX, and it's worked since. My NEC is self-calibrating, and I find that to be outstanding, so only use the i1 for my MacTops and paper profiles.

pflower

Have you seen Ctein's recent posts on the Online Photographer? He now advocates not using profiles on the Pxx printers but instead allow the printer to manage colour - http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...duct-review-epson-surecolor-p800-printer.html. and then there is a follow up article today.

This is completely against everything that I understood to be the best working practice, but he does have a reputation as a fine printer. I use a 3880 and just out of curiosity followed his advice on a couple of images I was printing with a custom profile. To my surprise there are clear improvements in the printer managed prints. Something that I will be exploring for a while.

Advice ? Experience ?

f6cvalkyrie

+1 on Ctein's advice. That's exactly what I do when printing on my 3880 : let printer handle color !
I'm more than happy with the results !

C U
Rafael