The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

El Capitan: is it safe ?

Knorp

Is it safe for C1P 8.3.3 (or any other image processing software for that matter) to upgrade to OSX El Capitan ?

TIA

k-hawinkler

I noticed a brief, a fraction of a second, black image when switching to the next image. Other than that it seems fine so far. YMMV.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No.

El Capitan & Capture One - DT Blog

Basically, every single time a new OS there are bugs. Every time. If you've upgraded right away in the past without issue it's not an indication that there weren't landmines; it's an indication that your day to day work didn't have you walking over any of them.

If you're doing serious work on a computer just wait a few months. By then there will be an update or two to the OS and most of your software will have been updated once or twice to accommodate the new OS.

Is there anything at all in El Capitan that you can't wait a few months for?

We hear from a truly sad number of people that upgrade their OS's right away and regret it. I can't ever recall someone that waited a few months saying they wish they had upgraded right away. That should tell you everything you need to know.

k-hawinkler

OT, the web browser pages seem to load a lot faster! :)
On the negative side, they have removed RAID creation from Diskutility. :-(
However, one can still do that in Terminal.

Godfrey

Is it safe for C1P 8.3.3 (or any other image processing software for that matter) to upgrade to OSX El Capitan ?

TIA
I've been working with El Capitan for several months, using it with Lightroom 6.1. No problems that I've run into that aren't also problems with Lightroom 6.1 on Yosemite. (LR6x has its share of interesting regressions from LR5x... I've filed about twenty bugs).

G

k-hawinkler

So I noticed the following issue.
When updating an image that I am editing sometimes only the right half is correct, whereas the left half doesn't get updated, when for example applying the same corrections from one image to others.
Applying the corrections by hand though works fine.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I have also been using El Capitan off and on since last July, without any real issues. A few comments regarding “caution”, I would say that this OS has been at Golden Master for nearly a month, and most developers issued updates to deal with problems before the formal release. Capture One seems to run fine other than one odd glitch with a corrupted plist (which has happened at random times to me anyway without an OS change), but to believe it would take “months” and several versions before it can be trusted may not necessarily apply in this case, because El Capitan is to Yosemite much like Snow Leopard was to Leopard and Mountain Lion was to Lion ... stepping back and getting things right after perhaps being too aggressive with an OS change. Additionally El Capitan has gone through extensive public betas (6 I believe), so it may be one of the most solid releases. I’m unclear why it seems Phase decides to wait until the software is released before checking it out, seems they have had plenty of time like other developers to test it out (nearly anyone can become an apple developer and get access to the betas). Yes I know things change, but as of over a month ago it’s been pretty set as to what was going to happen.

So much of El Capitan is under the hood performance tweaks and bug fixes. In my case I have a 2013 Mac Pro that worked just great under Mavericks, but has been plagued with odd graphic issues (stuttering video or text entry in places such as forum reply boxes). Some graphics testers showed odd stalling but it was sort of unique to my machine. Apple worked on it a couple of times, replaced a graphics card, but never really resolved it. El Capitan resolves the problems, and I’ve been happy with the performance through the last couple of betas with PS, LR, and C1. No problems with printing to my epson printers, and to be honest it’s a welcome update. things are snappier, cleaner, and just seem to run better.

One odd “new feature”, for some inexplicable reason Apple decided to remove soft raid support from the new Disk Utility. Additionally old versions of disk utility will not run on 10.11. The new disk utility is a nice clean design, but actually seems a little confusing and is annoying in that you can’t resize the window so if you have a lot of drives you are constantly scrolling. And you can no longer manage or create a raid using disk utility

Raids can still be managed and setup through terminal, and I assume there may be (or will be) some apps out there which put a nice user interface.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
SoftRAid is a great standalone for Raid creation and management ... seems more comprehensive than Apple's.

Bob

scho

Lens Tagger plugin no longer works in LR CC after installing El Capitan. Returns error 32512. No response yet from developer.

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
apparently some are reporting that tethering with El Capitan has some issues, if that's part of your workflow may want to check it out.

I always clone my startup drive to a second partition, so I can boot up with either OS. I haven't have issues (as mentioned, El capitan has solved problems for me), but I'll admit I don't run a lot of different software.

Knorp

In case you run into trouble after upgrading and C1 crashes there is a workaround by disabling OpenCL.
Found this in the P1 forum: OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Open the Terminal.app (from /Applications/Utilities) and enter the following commands:

defaults write com.phaseone.captureone8 UseOpenCL 0
defaults write com.phaseone.captureone8 UseOpenCLForProcessing 0

This will stop Capture One from using OpenCL.
The commands are equivalent to changing the OpenCL options under "Hardware Acceleration" (General Settings).
When Phase One have a fix, you can re-enable via the preferences...
:banghead: It worked for me ... :eek:

I'm unable to tether Sony A7R nor Nikon D800 with Lightroom CC 2015-2 or Sony Remote Camera Control 3.4.
Wacom Bamboo Tablet also not supported yet. YET? If ever. I think Wacom is not going to support 3 years old tablets anymore. They seem to have updated 2 month ago for Cintiq and Intuos.

marlof

Found this:

Olympus uploader can not connect EM-1 on Mac El Capitan

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/80651/

And an explanation in that thread:
Unfortunately it will not work because Olympus uses a kernel extension that is installed to the wrong place and which is also not correctly signed (!). El Capitan treats this as potential malware and will not load it.

It may be possible to make it work by disabling the OS unsigned-kext protection (rootless / System Integrity Protection), however doing so is probably unwise as it bypasses one of the main reasons for running 10.11 in the first place.

Apple first announced that these changes were coming two years ago, so Olympus really should be kicked for not updating their code (although the Olympus driver is very very old and appears to emulate an antique SCSI disk drive!).

I would expect that they will fix things with the 4.0 firmware release...

Knorp

Sony's dated RAW Image Data Converter 4.2 also crashes when opening a file for editing.
However, converting to another format (tiff, jpeg) seems to work fine.

ShooterSteve

I installed El Capitan on my MacBook Pro last night and used both Adobe LR and PS. No issues.

Yes, the fun of playing with a new OS. :D I love it when a young guy tells an old guy to wait three months. "Man plans. God laughs."

Joe
If you make a living with your camera and computer, it's unfortunate but waiting is the only option. As much as I love to dive in with the latest updates from Apple OS's come out, it's just not smart. Tethering has always been the first thing to break, which I rely on daily.... I just hope C1 and Adobe resolve any problems quickly! What I never understand is that Adobe and Phase One should have had this OS months ago, wasn't that enough time to fix any issues? Or do they wait until it's released to deal with it?

scho

From Adobe:

Joe
Thanks Joe. I was getting LR freeze every time I wanted to quit. This fixed that problem but still getting crashes when exporting to an external editor like Exif Editor (had to switch since Lens Tagger no longer works). Seems like endless glitches and problems since the El Cap and LR updates.