Site Sponsors

Thread: El Capitan: is it safe ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Question El Capitan: is it safe ?

Is it safe for C1P 8.3.3 (or any other image processing software for that matter) to upgrade to OSX El Capitan ?

TIA
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: El Capitan: is it safe ?

I noticed a brief, a fraction of a second, black image when switching to the next image. Other than that it seems fine so far. YMMV.
    With best regards, K-H.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No.

El Capitan & Capture One - DT Blog

Basically, every single time a new OS there are bugs. Every time. If you've upgraded right away in the past without issue it's not an indication that there weren't landmines; it's an indication that your day to day work didn't have you walking over any of them.

If you're doing serious work on a computer just wait a few months. By then there will be an update or two to the OS and most of your software will have been updated once or twice to accommodate the new OS.

Is there anything at all in El Capitan that you can't wait a few months for?

We hear from a truly sad number of people that upgrade their OS's right away and regret it. I can't ever recall someone that waited a few months saying they wish they had upgraded right away. That should tell you everything you need to know.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I installed El Capitan on my MacBook Pro last night and used both Adobe LR and PS. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Is there anything at all in El Capitan that you can't wait a few months for?
    Yes, the fun of playing with a new OS. I love it when a young guy tells an old guy to wait three months. "Man plans. God laughs."

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

OT, the web browser pages seem to load a lot faster! :-)
    On the negative side, they have removed RAID creation from Diskutility. :-(
    However, one can still do that in Terminal.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Is it safe for C1P 8.3.3 (or any other image processing software for that matter) to upgrade to OSX El Capitan ?

TIA
    I've been working with El Capitan for several months, using it with Lightroom 6.1. No problems that I've run into that aren't also problems with Lightroom 6.1 on Yosemite. (LR6x has its share of interesting regressions from LR5x... I've filed about twenty bugs).

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok! Hope you file the bugs associated with LR too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Is it safe
    My tooth hurts now...

I'm holding back on installing El Capitan, but know myself too well: if I don't hear horror stories within a week, I will no longer be able to fight my curiosity.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So I noticed the following issue.
    When updating an image that I am editing sometimes only the right half is correct, whereas the left half doesn't get updated, when for example applying the same corrections from one image to others.
    Applying the corrections by hand though works fine.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    Ok! Hope you file the bugs associated with LR too!
    I file bugs on OS X all the time, since I'm involved with its development. The bugs I was referring to are LR bugs. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have also been using El Capitan off and on since last July, without any real issues. A few comments regarding “caution”, I would say that this OS has been at Golden Master for nearly a month, and most developers issued updates to deal with problems before the formal release. Capture One seems to run fine other than one odd glitch with a corrupted plist (which has happened at random times to me anyway without an OS change), but to believe it would take “months” and several versions before it can be trusted may not necessarily apply in this case, because El Capitan is to Yosemite much like Snow Leopard was to Leopard and Mountain Lion was to Lion ... stepping back and getting things right after perhaps being too aggressive with an OS change. Additionally El Capitan has gone through extensive public betas (6 I believe), so it may be one of the most solid releases. I’m unclear why it seems Phase decides to wait until the software is released before checking it out, seems they have had plenty of time like other developers to test it out (nearly anyone can become an apple developer and get access to the betas). Yes I know things change, but as of over a month ago it’s been pretty set as to what was going to happen.

So much of El Capitan is under the hood performance tweaks and bug fixes. In my case I have a 2013 Mac Pro that worked just great under Mavericks, but has been plagued with odd graphic issues (stuttering video or text entry in places such as forum reply boxes). Some graphics testers showed odd stalling but it was sort of unique to my machine. Apple worked on it a couple of times, replaced a graphics card, but never really resolved it. El Capitan resolves the problems, and I’ve been happy with the performance through the last couple of betas with PS, LR, and C1. No problems with printing to my epson printers, and to be honest it’s a welcome update. things are snappier, cleaner, and just seem to run better.

One odd “new feature”, for some inexplicable reason Apple decided to remove soft raid support from the new Disk Utility. Additionally old versions of disk utility will not run on 10.11. The new disk utility is a nice clean design, but actually seems a little confusing and is annoying in that you can’t resize the window so if you have a lot of drives you are constantly scrolling. And you can no longer manage or create a raid using disk utility

Raids can still be managed and setup through terminal, and I assume there may be (or will be) some apps out there which put a nice user interface.
    wayne
    My gallery

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

SoftRAid is a great standalone for Raid creation and management ... seems more comprehensive than Apple's.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    SoftRAid is a great standalone for Raid creation and management ... seems more comprehensive than Apple's.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. That looks very interesting. I'll give it a try.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lens Tagger plugin no longer works in LR CC after installing El Capitan. Returns error 32512. No response yet from developer.
    Last edited by scho; 3rd October 2015 at 10:04.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    The new disk utility is a nice clean design, but actually seems a little confusing and is annoying in that you can’t resize the window so if you have a lot of drives you are constantly scrolling.
    Plus, the new design shows a cursor that implies the sidebar can be resized, but nothing happens when you try to resize it. My guess is that the window and sidebar resizing behaviors are bugs that eventually will be fixed (if reported).

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    SoftRAID works well and is definitely more capable than Apple's implementation, which is no longer in Disk Utility.

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Lens Tagger plugin no longer works in LR CC after installing El Capitan. Returns error 32512. No response yet from developer.
    Darn it! That's a plugin I frequently use. Makes me curious about other plugins that I haven't yet tested with El Capitan.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

apparently some are reporting that tethering with El Capitan has some issues, if that's part of your workflow may want to check it out.

I always clone my startup drive to a second partition, so I can boot up with either OS. I haven't have issues (as mentioned, El capitan has solved problems for me), but I'll admit I don't run a lot of different software.
    wayne
    My gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In case you run into trouble after upgrading and C1 crashes there is a workaround by disabling OpenCL.
    Found this in the P1 forum: OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Open the Terminal.app (from /Applications/Utilities) and enter the following commands:

defaults write com.phaseone.captureone8 UseOpenCL 0
    defaults write com.phaseone.captureone8 UseOpenCLForProcessing 0

This will stop Capture One from using OpenCL.
    The commands are equivalent to changing the OpenCL options under "Hardware Acceleration" (General Settings).
    When Phase One have a fix, you can re-enable via the preferences...
    It worked for me ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm unable to tether Sony A7R nor Nikon D800 with Lightroom CC 2015-2 or Sony Remote Camera Control 3.4.
    Wacom Bamboo Tablet also not supported yet. YET? If ever. I think Wacom is not going to support 3 years old tablets anymore. They seem to have updated 2 month ago for Cintiq and Intuos.

Post Thanks / Like

Found this:

Olympus uploader can not connect EM-1 on Mac El Capitan

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/80651/

And an explanation in that thread:
    Unfortunately it will not work because Olympus uses a kernel extension that is installed to the wrong place and which is also not correctly signed (!). El Capitan treats this as potential malware and will not load it.

It may be possible to make it work by disabling the OS unsigned-kext protection (rootless / System Integrity Protection), however doing so is probably unwise as it bypasses one of the main reasons for running 10.11 in the first place.

Apple first announced that these changes were coming two years ago, so Olympus really should be kicked for not updating their code (although the Olympus driver is very very old and appears to emulate an antique SCSI disk drive!).

I would expect that they will fix things with the 4.0 firmware release...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony's dated RAW Image Data Converter 4.2 also crashes when opening a file for editing.
    However, converting to another format (tiff, jpeg) seems to work fine.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    I'm unable to tether Sony A7R nor Nikon D800 with Lightroom CC 2015-2 or Sony Remote Camera Control 3.4.
    From Adobe:

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I installed El Capitan on my MacBook Pro last night and used both Adobe LR and PS. No issues.

Yes, the fun of playing with a new OS. I love it when a young guy tells an old guy to wait three months. "Man plans. God laughs."

Joe
    If you make a living with your camera and computer, it's unfortunate but waiting is the only option. As much as I love to dive in with the latest updates from Apple OS's come out, it's just not smart. Tethering has always been the first thing to break, which I rely on daily.... I just hope C1 and Adobe resolve any problems quickly! What I never understand is that Adobe and Phase One should have had this OS months ago, wasn't that enough time to fix any issues? Or do they wait until it's released to deal with it?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

From Adobe:

Joe
    Thanks Joe. I was getting LR freeze every time I wanted to quit. This fixed that problem but still getting crashes when exporting to an external editor like Exif Editor (had to switch since Lens Tagger no longer works). Seems like endless glitches and problems since the El Cap and LR updates.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlof View Post
    Found this:

Olympus uploader can not connect EM-1 on Mac El Capitan

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/80651/

And an explanation in that thread:
    Just another reason why I dislike the Olympus updating business so much. I much prefer the "download an in-camera updater app, put it on a storage card, let the camera update itself" methodology for firmware updates. This business of having to depend on a vendor's flakey app software to run on my computer properly as well as having a perfect network connection and camera connection going properly all at the same time just sucks.

I only put up with it because the E-M1 is such a good camera, but I hate the process more every time there's a firmware update.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

From Adobe:

Joe
    Joe, apparently the problem, as I understand, is not only Apple, but camera firmware adapting to a new system where security is prime. That is why when I try to connect the camera it stays in standby. There should be some kind of permission to allow camera to connect to computer. That's my understanding according to what people have published.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I decided to load it first on my little MB Air to see what/if/how. End of day the install failed, could not complete, crapped out at the 4 minute remaining mark with a can't complete install error. I tried alternate boot, but it had wiped my old OS completely, so it wasn't visible to for boot. So I went to Apples remote boot -- that could only try to reinstall ElCap, and after re-downloading and re-loading, it still crapped out at the 4 minute remaining mark with an unable to load new OS error. So get disk utility up, can see the new ElCap diskimg, run first aid on it, and it reports all good, no issues found.Go back to try a reload one more time and now I get an error my drive needs to be reformatted because it isn't currently in a recognized Apple format!

So my advice is to stay far away from this crap build until they get it sorted.

Oh yeah, of course having had zero issues with all previous OS upgrades, I was lazy and did not back up this system -- and so yeah, I lost everything on it. Don't be stupid like me.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Probably good advice for those, unlike me, who haven't already taken the plunge. The iOS-ification of Mac OS is taking its toll. Sorry to hear your story Jack, but I'm glad you first experimented with the MBA instead of the production machine.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am running the latest beta of El Capitan on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 6 cores and 64 GB of RAM. Last night my system displayed the message: "Running out of application memory". Basically at that time I was using CS6, C1, Preview, Mail, Safari, and a beta of SoftRAID. SoftRAID announced their none-beta version for mid-October. My guess, there is a memory leak somewhere.

Of course, I have a backup and could go to the regular version of El Capitan. But even there C1 8.3.3 had some hickups. But that only slowed me down a little bit and I could nevertheless do what I wanted to do.

Until now I had relied on Diskutility for managing my RAIDs. But that is no longer supported in El Capitan's Diskutility. However, one still could use diskutil in Terminal to do that. Thanks to a previous post in this thread I decided to give SoftRAID a try (thank you Bob, alias docmoore).

I am glad I did. I must say, I am really impressed by SoftRAID. It seems to be a well thought out and executed application. It not only manages 0, 1, 4, 5, and 0+1 type of RAIDs but also single HDDs and SSDs and reports I/O errors and gives warnings when a device is about to fail and should be replaced.

SoftRAID warned me that a 4-way striped SSD RAID was going to fail in the "next 2 to 6 months" and should be replaced immediately. So, I backed it up and didn't use it any more, just kept it ON and let SoftRAID monitor it. Lo and behold a few days later SoftRAID warned me that that particular RAID couldn't read its partition map and should be replaced. Replacement SSDs should arrive later today. :-)

I also have another 4-way striped RAID of fairly old 256 GB SSDs. I used SoftRAID to certify that this particular RAID works still fine and I used CCC to copy my Boot drive to it. Although now that the RAID is controlled by SoftRAID I have successfully booted my El Capitan system from it. Nice!
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably good advice for those, unlike me, who haven't already taken the plunge. The iOS-ification of Mac OS is taking its toll. Sorry to hear your story Jack, but I'm glad you first experimented with the MBA instead of the production machine.

Joe
    The "new" management at Apple (and the associated company direction from them) may force me back to Windows sooner than I ever expected...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

The "new" management at Apple (and the associated company direction from them) may force me back to Windows sooner than I ever expected...
    Mine is working fine other than the tethering problem. I had many issues with Yosemite which for me was the worst of all OS.
    I wrote an email to Wacom and they sent me and updated driver which is working fine with El Capitan.
    Still the issue with tethering different cameras would be solve when the camera makers update their firmwares. Not even the latest Lightroom update addresses the tethering issues, so it is clear it has to be camera firmware.
    We just bought a Windows HP laptop for my nice and I can tell you I almost puke on it. I started getting all this pop up windows...

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to load it first on my little MB Air to see what/if/how. End of day the install failed, could not complete, crapped out at the 4 minute remaining mark with a can't complete install error. I tried alternate boot, but it had wiped my old OS completely, so it wasn't visible to for boot. So I went to Apples remote boot -- that could only try to reinstall ElCap, and after re-downloading and re-loading, it still crapped out at the 4 minute remaining mark with an unable to load new OS error. So get disk utility up, can see the new ElCap diskimg, run first aid on it, and it reports all good, no issues found.Go back to try a reload one more time and now I get an error my drive needs to be reformatted because it isn't currently in a recognized Apple format!

Oh yeah, of course having had zero issues with all previous OS upgrades, I was lazy and did not back up this system -- and so yeah, I lost everything on it. Don't be stupid like me.
    Jack, maybe you try doing a clean install.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Jack, maybe you try doing a clean install.

That's definitely worth a try.

Although there are certain issues with apps that aren't ready yet, I find that my late 2013 Mac Pro is more responsive and works very well with El Capitan. I am running the latest beta version.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    That's definitely worth a try.

Although there are certain issues with apps that aren't ready yet, I find that my late 2013 Mac Pro is more responsive and works very well with El Capitan. I am running the latest beta version.
    I agree. I had several issues with Yosemite, one of them being Photoshop giving hiccups on my Mac Pro, now is responding just ok.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone willing to know, now is possible to tether Nikon, Sony and The Capitan with the latest C1 update.
    Last edited by Antonio Chagin; 23rd October 2015 at 14:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I experience the same problem. I have been able to circumvent it by checking the edit box in the lenstagger window, selecting all and copying the exiftool command (be sure to load the correct preset and press the update command before doing this), and then pasting and running this command directly in the shell.

After exiftool runs, you can then load the metadata back into lightroom as usual.

Hoping this helps and lenstagger is updated soon to solve this issue (I believe it is maintained by a single individual, we should not forget).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vrrp View Post
    I experience the same problem. I have been able to circumvent it by checking the edit box in the lenstagger window, selecting all and copying the exiftool command (be sure to load the correct preset and press the update command before doing this), and then pasting and running this command directly in the shell.

After exiftool runs, you can then load the metadata back into lightroom as usual.

Hoping this helps and lenstagger is updated soon to solve this issue (I believe it is maintained by a single individual, we should not forget).
    I now have figured out how to get LensTagger to work with El Capitan.

● In LR, click on File>Plug-in Manager…
    ● Find LensTagger Exif Tool in the list on the left
    ● In the Options, Export & Import section for LensTagger type in the path for ExifTool:

● Click “Done”
    ● Restart LR (may not be necessary)

Now when using LensTagger, the correct path to ExifTool appears in the plugin dialog and the plugin functions as before.

As before, you must be in the Library module in grid/thumbnail view to modify multiple images.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

● In the Options, Export & Import section for LensTagger type in the path for ExifTool:

● Click “Done”

Now when using LensTagger, the correct path to ExifTool appears in the plugin dialog and the plugin functions as before.

As before, you must be in the Library module in grid/thumbnail view to modify multiple images.

Joe
    Works with me. Thanks a million!

Post Thanks / Like

● Click “Done”

Joe
    Thanks for this. It worked for me as well. I just updated to El Capitan and the plugin stopped working.

To add a little bit more to this, run the following in Terminal:

Code:
    which exiftool
    It should return something like:
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/exiftool
    If it does, that is what you put in the plugin settings as described by Joe Colson. If it says it can't find it or it returns nothing at all, you need to install exiftool.

Mark O.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a matter of interest, would you advise or otherwise upgrading from Snow Leopard to El Capitan? My photographic software is CS6 and Capture 1, and Silver Efex pro plug-ins. I also use Moneydance 2014.5 financial software and Office for Mac 2011 suite.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    As a matter of interest, would you advise or otherwise upgrading from Snow Leopard to El Capitan? My photographic software is CS6 and Capture 1, and Silver Efex pro plug-ins. I also use Moneydance 2014.5 financial software and Office for Mac 2011 suite.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    My soft and hardware adviser of many years has upgraded me to Yosemite which works perfectly for all programs (Adobe Cloud, Capture One Pro9, Photo Ninja etc. etc.) and is still hesitant about El Capitan. He suggested waiting for a few more upgrades to El Capitan.
    maurice da silva solis

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only El Capitan incompatibility I know of is tethering a pre-007 Leica S. That still doesn't work, although S(007) El Cap tethering was released a few days ago. I have no problem tethering a Sony A7II to Capture One v9 under El Cap (tested just now).

--Matt

BTW, It's very easy to install El Cap on an external disk and test your workflow by booting from that disk.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I have done it! All works fine after downloading Java, but Capture One version 9 will not open as it is showing an error message advising that the OS security barrier does not recognise it! Anyone know how to defeat El Capitan's security block just for this program?
    Many thanks
    Cheers, Dave

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I understand you correctly, there are two ways.

You can go to System Preferences (under the Apple menu or it may be in your Dock), click the Security & Privacy pane, unlock the pane by clicking on the little lock and entering your password, and changing the "Allow apps downloaded" setting (which you can change back after you open C1 for the first time).

Or you can right click on C1 and select Open from the resulting list. This will ask you if you really mean it, and you can say yes. This is different behavior from simply double-clicking on C1.

Good luck,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    If I understand you correctly, there are two ways.

You can go to System Preferences (under the Apple menu or it may be in your Dock), click the Security & Privacy pane, unlock the pane by clicking on the little lock and entering your password, and changing the "Allow apps downloaded" setting (which you can change back after you open C1 for the first time).

Or you can right click on C1 and select Open from the resulting list. This will ask you if you really mean it, and you can say yes. This is different behavior from simply double-clicking on C1.

Good luck,

Matt
    Thank you Matt, that worked perfectly and I am much obliged.
    Cheers, Dave