Site Sponsors

Thread: Affinity Photo for skin-ton corrections

Post Thanks / Like

Affinity Photo for skin-ton corrections

sometimes even big corporate clients donít want MUAs when i shoot male manager portraits so i have do deal with reddish caucasian skin-tone problems more often than i like. i also use AP on a regularly basis for certain tasks which are performed better or more easy in AP than PS CC. recently i started to use AP more for skin-tone color corrections because the developers added the ability to use the curve tool with lab or cmyk independent from the colorspace of the image (only in beta version ) . i can now edited an image with cmyk curve adjustments while staying in adobe rgb for example, for me this is really a phenomenal feature because i always prepare files for offset printing and much prefer working with cmyk values. so working on some images from my last shooting i discovers that AP seems also to give superior results compared to PS when selective color adjustments are used to correct to much red in skin-tones. the AP result with - magenta and + yellow in the red tones give more natural results compared to similar corrections made with PS. the effect is very subtile but in direct comparison very visible - the PS result looks waxy and unnatural. everybody dealing with similar problems should give AP a try !

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Affinity Photo for skin-ton corrections

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    sometimes even big corporate clients donít want MUAs when i shoot male manager portraits so i have do deal with reddish caucasian skin-tone problems more often than i like. i also use AP on a regularly basis for certain tasks which are performed better or more easy in AP than PS CC. recently i started to use AP more for skin-tone color corrections because the developers added the ability to use the curve tool with lab or cmyk independent from the colorspace of the image (only in beta version ) . i can now edited an image with cmyk curve adjustments while staying in adobe rgb for example, for me this is really a phenomenal feature because i always prepare files for offset printing and much prefer working with cmyk values. so working on some images from my last shooting i discovers that AP seems also to give superior results compared to PS when selective color adjustments are used to correct to much red in skin-tones. the AP result with - magenta and + yellow in the red tones give more natural results compared to similar corrections made with PS. the effect is very subtile but in direct comparison very visible - the PS result looks waxy and unnatural. everybody dealing with similar problems should give AP a try !
    Have you ever used the skintone tab of the Color Editor in Capture One? It can be applied globally or as a local adjustment.

Best option I've ever seen for handling the issue you describe. Makes AP's approach look crude and indirect.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Affinity Photo for skin-ton corrections

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Have you ever used the skintone tab of the Color Editor in Capture One? It can be applied globally or as a local adjustment.

Best option I've ever seen for handling the issue you describe. Makes AP's approach look crude and indirect.
    best option ? it works great for quick and dirty jobs or when only small adjustments are needed but it is not a substitute for serious skin-tone work in PS or AP. i do not like the kind of hue compression this tool applies, often the result is more like a very bad MUA job and instead of solving the problem it adds a new one - destroyed color differences making skin look unnatural. maybe this is ok with wedding photography were you have to work large amounts of images but for the type of work i do it is not an option.