The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

De-fish software Samyang 7.5 for µ4/3rds

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello all,

Hemi Fish does not work for me; it leave one set of lines in interiors curved. I would like a rectilinear result.

I bought this for interiors. Any workflow suggestions? I use PS4, Aperture, and Capture 9 Pro.

TIA, KL

danielmoore

If you have PTGui or another stitching program that allows to assign straight line control points you could pick an interior image with plenty of well spaced vertical elements and manually correct one image. Once that's done to your satisfaction you can save that lens profile to the lens database and apply it without needing to use control points again. The interpolation algorithms, especially Sinc 36 through 256, do an amazing job (assuming you're using PTGui). If you would like any help with that just let me know.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks for that suggestion, Daniel. I will look further into PTGui; is there a tutorial for using PT the way you suggest? Cheers, KL

danielmoore

I had a quick look around the web and didn't find exactly what I alluded to. It's so easy when you see how that if you sent me an image shot with that lens with multiple 'vertical' lines across the frame I should be able to work up a video of the correction process.

Interestingly enough, this all reminds me of when I first learned of Jacks prowess in defishing the canon 15mm, many years ago. Around the time of the 10D.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't thank Helmut Dersch for Panorama tools. As far as I know, he's the father of lens correction profiles. For the digital age, at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panorama_Tools

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
In the meantime I have been watching Florian Knorn's tutorials in PTGui; it does seem like a remarkable program. I assume I need the standard version, rather than the 'pro' one.

I will take a typical image for you today; the Samyang 7.5 covers the full frame on µ4/3rds so (shooting the interior I have in mind) shows wider than 90° (if the camera is in the corner of a room, you see the adjoining L and R walls as well as everything in between). It was this feature that drew me to the fines originally.

Will WeTransfer work for you re. sending you a jpeg, or is there a better way? If I use WeTransfer, I will need an email address. Mine is kit_l at mac dot com.

Cheers and sincere thanks, KL

danielmoore

The more 'vertical' lines spread throughout, especially at the edges, the better for calibrating. You can always make a more perfect calibration when the subject presents itself if you can't now. Any image will do for the setup. You can probably just email me a <20MB jpg at full res of course. I'll email you in a moment for convenience. I have used PTGui for many many years and have never needed the pro features myself.

Glad to help.

Last edited: