Site Sponsors

Thread: jpeg vs raw

Post Thanks / Like

jpeg vs raw

Wise wordsAttachment 116317
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: jpeg vs raw

I don't see why one would never shoot jpg again. True, for serious composition I certainly shoot raw for processing but in camera processing is so good these days that if you take casual shots the jpg image is good enough, even for a reasonable size print.

The proof in the pudding, just a snap out of camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jpeg has its place even for demanding work. If in-camera performance is critical, or time to market/publishing, or storage space, then raw becomes an obstacle.

Personally I think it's a good exercise for everyone to shoot Jpeg every now and then, to get a grip on the compromises involved and make Jpeg work for you - in case you need it at some point.

Typically some of us (including me) get lazy with the white balance when only shooting raw. Direct-to-Jpeg demands more from the photographer.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Jpeg has its place even for demanding work. If in-camera performance is critical, or time to market/publishing, or storage space, then raw becomes an obstacle.

Personally I think it's a good exercise for everyone to shoot Jpeg every now and then, to get a grip on the compromises involved and make Jpeg work for you - in case you need it at some point.

Typically some of us (including me) get lazy with the white balance when only shooting raw. Direct-to-Jpeg demands more from the photographer.
    I shoot jpg + RAW, just because of the white balance risk, especially if the lighting is tricky.
    maurice da silva solis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archiM44 View Post
    I shoot jpg + RAW, just because of the white balance risk, especially if the lighting is tricky.
    Yeah me too, so... My point exactly - you haven't (and I haven't) mastered WB enough to confidently use Jpeg.
    Last year I changed my action sports photography to shoot Jpeg only, but it's so far outdoors only so WB is predictable and measurable.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    I don't see why one would never shoot jpg again. True, for serious composition I certainly shoot raw for processing but in camera processing is so good these days that if you take casual shots the jpg image is good enough, even for a reasonable size print.

The proof in the pudding, just a snap out of camera.

The shirt is blown; easy enough to fix if you had shot RAW.