The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR6 Question On Image Correction

rollsman44

If I just need to adjust an image that was already adjusted in LR and its in a folder with 100 other images that were adjusted in LR do I have to Import the entire folder just to make an additional adjustment to 1 image? Then do I have to Export the entire folder with all the images again?
This would give me a duplicate folder with all the same images in it just to make 1 change to 1 image? Thank you

bradhusick

You should be able to import just the one image. The changes that were already made should be in the sidecar file attached to the image.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This is how I work with LR: I import into my photo library from my SD card and name the folder with a name like this "160426 Dodd shoot". Then I adjust the images. When one image or 100 images are needed, I select and export through the File>Export dialog into a folder. If you want to change one image in an exported folder of 100 images, then you can make changes to the one image in LR (you don't have to re-import, as it is already there) and export it back out to the folder. It will ask you if you want to overwrite the first file of that name that you put into the folder, or do you want to give this a unique name. You overwrite, and now the newly edited image is in your folder with the other 99. If for some reason, you want to add an image that was not in the original "160426 Dodd shoot" folder, then you can add the image (say from Photoshop or other) by physically putting the file into your Lightroom Photo Library on your disk and then going into the Library Module and right clicking on Lightroom Library>Lightroom Photo Library>2016>160426 Dodd shoot. Choose synchronize. LR will add the photo so that you can make changes and then export.

When you use the export dialog, you can give your files new names, such as Dodd Wedding 1, and LR will name each of the 100 with a unique name( or you could have added Dodd Wedding to the originals on import...this is all unique to how you like to work). You can export one folder for printing and one folder for web size shots, etc. You never re-import these images, since you always have the edited originals in the Library.

My hierarchy on my physical disk is Lightroom photo library>2016>160426 Dodd shoot. Every year I start a new folder by year under the Lightroom photo library. All my folders line up by date and I can easily find a folder. I keep the whole Lightroom Library on a 5TB external drive (library, catalog, cache, etc.). It is easy to back up or move this way.

This was not part of your question, but I use 3 Sony cameras, so on import, I append the name of the camera to the file (such as RX1RII_DSC1656.ARW, A7RII_DSC1459.ARW, etc.) Since I send them all to the same folder for a given shoot, I don't want any conflict with the names. I do this all through the Lightroom Import dialog. I also have a copy written to my backup disk at the same time. I have another backup disk offline at all times, so that if there is a fatal error of some type, I will not loose everything. Periodically, I move a copy of the hard disk to my bank deposit vault.

Last edited:

Godfrey

If I just need to adjust an image that was already adjusted in LR and its in a folder with 100 other images that were adjusted in LR do I have to Import the entire folder just to make an additional adjustment to 1 image? Then do I have to Export the entire folder with all the images again?
This would give me a duplicate folder with all the same images in it just to make 1 change to 1 image? Thank you
Are your "already adjusted in LR" images EXPORTED from LR or are they the raw originals that you adjusted in LR and then removed? If they are the raw originals, and you removed them from LR without exporting or saving the adjustments ("Metadata > Save metadata to file" menu command), they are just the original files without any adjustment. If you exported the files after adjustment, then the files have the adjustments you made 'baked into' them.

If you want to import just one file into LR without duplicating it, there are several ways to do that. The canonical way to do it is:

1. Start LR.
  2. Click Import in the Library module.
  3. Select the source folder in the left hand panel.
  4. Click "Deselect all" at the bottom of the grid view.
  5. Find and click the 'select' checkbox in the thumbnail of the image you want to import.
  6. Click "Add" at the top of the import window.
  7. Click "Import" at the bottom right of the import window.

Lightroom will add the image in place, without duplicating or moving it, etc. If the folder it is contained in is not already in the LR catalog, it will add the folder in the Library module, Folders list, but only the file you imported will appear in it.

G