The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Still looking for a Aperture replacement... anyone use ON1 Photo10?

Jim DE

I still have a death grip on my Aperture 3 software but know it's usable days are numbered. I have DXO, C1, CS6, Lightroom 6, and several others but none of them fit me like my aperture software has. I saw on the Sony a7x pics thread a artistic rendition of a photo and the user mentioned it was done with ON1. I looked at their site and the cataloging seems decent and what little I gleaned from their promo it looks like a possibility.

I will say this up front I have slammed the door on all Adobe software use from CS6 forward...... I am done with them no matter how good or powerful their tools. They will never see another dime from me, period! In fact while fighting with their tech support one night trying to translate a foreign language and decipher the tech info they were trying to share I Uninstalled my Lightroom 6 paid software while they were on the phone and watching through the shared link. This will give you an idea of just how bad I dislike Adobe and their Customer Service/ Tech departments. This did not even touch what I think of leased software but that is another issue.

Anyway C1 does a great job on sony files but the file management system lacks apertures refinement. DXO10 Pro is OK and IMO has the best noise reduction software available but these new near isoless sensors today noise is near a non issue. CD6 is super powerful and does it all but I never have really enjoyed their UI and no file management system. Don't let me start on Lightroom ;)

So anyone been using this new to me ON1 Photo10 software? Do you care to offer your opinions to a person looking for a aperture replacement?

Jim DE

As a follow up ... Well they had a pkg deal for it and two other things for basically the price of a Friday night dinner out so I bought it. It is like many phone apps with a varied stock of templates but also manual adjustments. Not bad but no replacement either for my Aperture program. If one was just getting into post processing or did not want to spend a lot of time learning varied tools this would be a quick way for them to get relatively decent results.

I find when layers are stacked the tools become slow and tend to set off the tool timers in my top of the line Mac with 32g ram on 42mp base images. Would probably work much better on smaller file sizes.

Anyway... I answered my own thread and offered my results .... Back to Aperture

bipbip

No fish and chips for you next Friday either, Jim: Affinity Photo is well worth a look at if you're used to PS CS and on Mac OS. There's a Windows version in the pipeline too. It's a 10 day trial and then forty quid - forever. None of this rip-off monthly Adobe nonsense, don't get me started ...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If C1 supported my current system, I would have stayed with them. File management is improving steadily, and the rendering is my favorite. Still nothing out there as easy as Aperture, but once it started perpetually rebuilding thumbnails, I had to give it up.

Good luck with your search,

Matt

silver92b

Funny how things are different for different folks.. I tried aperture long ago and did not like it I use LR5 and it does most of what I need. I also use ON1 as well as the NIK suite. Both work very well integrated with LR5. ON1 has some powerful presets and filters as well as the enhance features which allow the removal of unwanted things in your images. You can also do a bit of effects such as removing specific colors from an image, etc. The NIK software has some very clever presets than can be modified in many ways with very easy to use tools. They also have "control points" which are very nice to edit specific areas of your image. The ON1 suite is not too expensive, and the NIK I believe can be had for free... Either or both are worth trying if your Aperture can't give you the flexibility you need.

Cheers!

BTW, I use a iMac and a Macbook pro for my storage, workflow and editing.

Mark Muse

As a follow up ... Well they had a pkg deal for it and two other things for basically the price of a Friday night dinner out so I bought it. It is like many phone apps with a varied stock of templates but also manual adjustments. Not bad but no replacement either for my Aperture program. If one was just getting into post processing or did not want to spend a lot of time learning varied tools this would be a quick way for them to get relatively decent results.

I find when layers are stacked the tools become slow and tend to set off the tool timers in my top of the line Mac with 32g ram on 42mp base images. Would probably work much better on smaller file sizes.

Anyway... I answered my own thread and offered my results .... Back to Aperture

You might have a look at Iridient Developer (formerly RAW Developer). Excellent software but it is a raw converter only. Also Luminar is interesting.

Jim DE

ON1 has decided to be a Adobe plugin so for me that was the end of ON1 as a possible Aperture substitute.

iiiNelson

ON1 has decided to be a Adobe plugin so for me that was the end of ON1 as a possible Aperture substitute.
It can run on its own as well. They allow you to choose.

Essentially you can create your own file organization structure and point ON1 to it for edits. There's a little more work involved potentially in organization as it's done at the user level but there are some advantages like being able to edit from any computer on your network if you store images on a NAS type drive.

Last edited:

Godfrey

With the Leica SL, I've spent a good bit of time learning how to get the results I want in-camera, outputting JPEGs, such that simple software like Flare 2 would do fine for image processing and add-on effects (borders and such), and then I can just use Photos as the organizer.

If I ever want to. For the moment, I'm perfectly happy using your most hated vendor's LR product.

G