The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SilverEffex Query

robmac

For those that use SE via PS, how do you find it saving memory usage via the compressing of multiple "layers" into one SE smart filter?

Let em elaborate. I do most of my work in B&W and have been resisting SE because a): like the full manual process and b): it ain't cheap.

That said, am using an iMac that is long due for an upgrade (rumored "opening up" of iMacs re: max memory, etc sound promising) and 1Ds2 images destined for 13x19 or 17x22 paper with various layers and smart filters, etc can make for long processing waits - or having to save work in multiple stages.

The B&W conversion process alone of course requiring the B&W adjustment layer, at least one curves layer and usually a dodge and/or burning layer (or the same effect via a curve layer and masking) all in all lets say 3-4 layers to get the B&W side only of the image where I want it with the ability to go back and edit.

While I know SE saves time, I'm thinking/hoping that SE will allow me to effect the same process (plus film mimicry) within one layer - improving memory requirements (and thus processing waits) on a per image basis.

I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation/repudiation of that theory.

I downloaded and played with the trial last year but foolishly didn't really put it thru it's paces on multi-layer images due to time commitments and when I looked up two weeks had just flown by -- the trail of course being a one-time gig.

Thanks