The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luminosity Masking Actions - suggestions

I would assume this question has been asked before, so if there is a thread with this information, please guide me to it.

After having spent the past 10-years plus hiring post-processing / retouchers to do all my digital processing, I have started to do it on my own. I am now at the point where I understand enough of Photoshop CC to realize my work needs to use luminosity masks. And, that being written, I would like to know which of the “famous” expert’s Action you think is best. I am aware of the 3 “usual suspects”, and have watched their YouTube videos.

Now, as always with my posts, I find it necessary to over explain myself, so as to cut down on the snarky responses, as well as eliminate as many questions as possible with regards to what I am looking for. So here goes…

I am looking for recommendations on luminosity masking Actions, and not a link to how to create channels & layers, I want an automated process.

I am using Photoshop CC, and Capture One. Price is not an issue. Complexity of the Actions are not an issue, as long as there is not significant learning curve. I am a landscape photographer, and I do not photograph people. My camera gear is Phase One digital backs, Sony A7S, and Nikon D3x.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I use Tony Kuyper's TK4 and infinity panels. Even when not using luminosity masks, the panels speeds up other tasks. If you go that way, I would suggest Sean Bagshaw's videos that explain setting it all up and using it.

Like Cindy I use Tony Kuyper's masks. As a BW landscape photographer, I can't tell you a colorful story; but I make frequent use of his set of masks that roughly approximates the Zone System. I'm too pleased with them to experiment with other options.

His masks were recommended to me by Rob Reiter, one of the three or so truly-fine fine-art photo printers in the SF Bay Area. At the time he was using them extensively for color printing. That was 2 years ago, so I don't know what He uses or recommends now.

I just finished a portfolio book of BW landscapes and have received compliments for their tonal range - more shadow and highlight differentiation than usual in digital BW. This owes a lot to TK's Zone 0-1 and 8-9 masks. (Files were from Monochrom and A7rII.)

Kirk

Last edited:

Mark Muse

I use Tony's luminosity mask actions and many of my own, for monochrome and color work. Be aware that the "Zone" masks do not correlate well with the zone system, particularly in the mid-tones. That said, his actions are robust and very useful.

That's right, they really don't. But you can measure the tones and then construct and print a two-tier graded scale with the 'real' Zone System and Kuyper's scale underneath it. Then it's easy to figure out which mask to use (keeping in mind that each mask moves the adjacent 'zones' to some degree).

Kirk