The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Info about 'lightroom' and 'Nik suite'

Bugleone

I am currently using RawTherapee quite successfully to edit ARW (sony RAW files) although I am not very proficient yet as the software is quite complex (to me anyway!) Fortunately, I understand some of the technicalities associated with image editing as I was trained as a technical photographer in my youth, although that's quite some time ago now!...but I know about image contrast and DlogE etc....

I would like to use parts of the Nik Suite, 'Silver FX' and HDR , which are a free download. Unfotuntately 'Lightroom 3' is the minimum requirement........

Does anyone here know if there is a free download of 'L3' anyware on the web please?..(not 30 day trial thanks!)

darr

I am currently using RawTherapee quite successfully to edit ARW (sony RAW files) although I am not very proficient yet as the software is quite complex (to me anyway!) Fortunately, I understand some of the technicalities associated with image editing as I was trained as a technical photographer in my youth, although that's quite some time ago now!...but I know about image contrast and DlogE etc....

I would like to use parts of the Nik Suite, 'Silver FX' and HDR , which are a free download. Unfotuntately 'Lightroom 3' is the minimum requirement........

Does anyone here know if there is a free download of 'L3' anyware on the web please?..(not 30 day trial thanks!)
Lightroom has never been free. The latest Camera Raw version may not be supported by LR3, which could mess up your workflow (you should be using the latest for optimal performance). LR is now up to version 6.x and Camera Raw is 9.x. Adobe's monthly subscription for Lightroom (and Photoshop) is currently US $9.99 a month.

Bugleone

Darr,....thank you for speedy reply!

Yes, I am aware of Adobe's pricing and policies (being in the UK I would be obliged to pay Adobe's idea of fair price) but unfortunately I am more or less forced to be a 'shoestring photographer' due to several other equally expensive interests!.......

I was rather hoping that LR3 being now horribly old fashioned and outdated might now be a free aquisition somewhere.

.......Also, I have been warned off of Camera Raw (adobe) as a doubtful RAW converter and need to experiment before any expensive impulse takes hold!

Jan

Lightroom in the past (and still probably) has been shipped with many camera's (no idea which version) and perhaps you can find someone that has it on the shelf somewhere, not using it. I am a AdobeCC customer and I use Photoshop (and the Bridge) only as I would like to stick to my workflow.

Ironically I am a paid Nik software user too from the very early days and it is a bit of slap in the face that these days it can be downloaded for free.

Darr,....thank you for speedy reply!

Yes, I am aware of Adobe's pricing and policies (being in the UK I would be obliged to pay Adobe's idea of fair price) but unfortunately I am more or less forced to be a 'shoestring photographer' due to several other equally expensive interests!.......

I was rather hoping that LR3 being now horribly old fashioned and outdated might now be a free aquisition somewhere.

.......Also, I have been warned off of Camera Raw (adobe) as a doubtful RAW converter and need to experiment before any expensive impulse takes hold!

archivue

Ironically I am a paid Nik software user too from the very early days and it is a bit of slap in the face that these days it can be downloaded for free.
and it's not compatible with apple captain and later...

i would love to pay to have it upgrade... google policies is sometimes just ... grggrgrgrggggrgg !

Last edited: