The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Physical controls for Lightroom using MIDI

I recently learned about a free plug-in which allows you to use MIDI controllers to operate many of the controls within Lightroom. It takes a bit of fiddling to set it up, but if you're at all technically inclined, it should be no trouble. I find it extremely convenient to have physical controls for my most-used LR settings.

You can use just about any MIDI controller with knobs or sliders, but motorized sliders make the experience much better. I'm using this one - https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-BCF2000-BEHRINGER-B-CONTROL-FADER/dp/B000CZ0RJ2/ref=sr_1_1 (I found a used one for about $175)

The software is MIDI2LR, and you can get all the details here - https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/wiki

Here's a 55 second video showing it in action -

2WK

Cool. I have been looking into this for a while as well. And that Behringer is on my list. Also the BCR2000 which is all rotary sequencers instead of faders. Why do you prefer the faders? Thanks!

Why do you prefer the faders? Thanks!
I like the graphical nature of the sliders. I can glance at them and 'see' the adjustments which have been made to the image. (this may be the result of many hours spent in front of an sound mixing board in the old days.) But the BCR unit is nice because it has so many knobs.

GlenC

Mike, I totally understand the intuitive nature of the sliders. I am using Behringer X Touch Compact model. It has 9 motorized sliders that update to new positions every time I advance to the next image in Lightroom. I've programed some of the controls and labeled them using a Dymo label maker. I changed the labels a couple of times as I think of a more efficient layout. Currently, I use one hand to control the next/prev photo and white balance, and the other hand controls the 4 most used adjustments I make. The software is easy to use, the LR plugin installs fairly easily. The MIDI2LR software is actively supported and updated occasionally. It's easier to use than dragging a mouse on the graphical sliders in LR and it's faster too. I always use it when I'm processing a large amount of photos. The one downside is the room it takes up on your desk. I can slide mine out of the way when I'm not using it but it takes 2 hands.

Glen

_DSC0081.jpg

2WK

Thanks Mike. The only thing I was thinking re the physical faders is that when I'm culling images from a shoot I tend to move pretty quickly to get though a huge batch of files...say 700 - 2000 etc. I was thinking the moving sliders would be jumping around and making noise where as the sequencers would just be little lights moving. I'll have to try it out though. Either way it does look like it would save me some time and carpal tunnel pain!

I like the graphical nature of the sliders. I can glance at them and 'see' the adjustments which have been made to the image. (this may be the result of many hours spent in front of an sound mixing board in the old days.) But the BCR unit is nice because it has so many knobs.

Rachael Alice

Not Available
It is a useful plugin recently i use with lightroom for more control over LR setting. I also use it's alternative named Palette Gear and it's also remarkable.