The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Affinity, anyone?

V

Vivek

Share your experiences with this new stand alone PS substitute.

iiiNelson

I tested the beta but never bought the full copy. With the recent updates it may be worth looking at as a PS alternative again.

JohnBrew

I have a friend who is testing it now and waiting for his assessment. I really hope this could replace PS. I'm not at all happy with CC.

bab

Focus stacking is great, some pano images stiching is great, I haven't quite figured out the path tool and comd J to new layer.
It takes getting use to different terms and methods but the program now that you can export to psd is a keeper.

Jim DE

I have a copy of the new version affinity and it is impressing me as using it with apple photo's may be my aperture workaround when I finally can't use aperture anymore. I find affinity much like adobe CS

I was thinking C1 was going to be my only hope but it lacks the ability to use many of my plugins I use with aperture and that would hurt my workflow

Jan

I visit the website to read up on more details and it looks quite posh. What I what looking for, and can't find, is support for plug-ins. Can anyone enlighten me? The only plug-in I work with is Nik and being able to use that would settle the bill for me.

Jim DE

Jan, all my plugins or at least most work with Apple photo which also holds a copy of Affinity as well. It is sort of a longer way to get from point to point compared to Aperture and plug in but this way compared to C1 at least I have a DAM system similar to what I like about Aperture and the ability to access more powerful softwares through a edit with process

My jury is still out on this combo .. I wish Apple would put more power into their Photos program to make it closer to Aperture but so far this is the closest any software combos have come to replacing my Aperture.

It's no secret I hate Adobe not for their softwares abilities but the user interface and their customer service and tech support for an American who only speaks English they are a nightmare to say the least. Even finding a way to talk to them over the phone you have to be crocodile Dundee to find them.then you have to be a UN translator to understand WTF they are saying. I got so ticked at Adobe while they were logged into my system I uninstalled my LR6 and told them to keep it. This does not even take into account their cloud based monthly lease marketing plan which I would never do. C1 is a great PP software but no one is including them in a plugin type relationship and its DAm is OK but far from the ability of Aperture. DXO is ok but no Dam and no plugin support. ON1 has decided to only support Adobe software so you know how I feel about that idea... I will never use a cloud based Adobe software again.. period!!! Sadly some of the best color images I see on the net come from photogs using Adobe and NIK combos!

Last edited:

sc_john

I wish Apple would put more power into their Photos program to make it closer to Aperture but so far this is the closest any software combos have come to replacing my Aperture.
Jim,

I just came across new app named Raw Power, but have not tried it. Developer is same guy that led the development of Aperture; he says Raw Power has some capabilities that were not available in Aperture. Here is link where I found it: "RAW Power" App Brings Aperture Style Interface & Functions to Mac Photos... for just $10 (Limited Time Offer) - Fuji Rumors

It can run as stand alone or as an extension to Photos. It may make a good combo along with Apple Photos and Affinity.

John

Last edited:

shumicse

I have seen many of photographers are trying to use it as an alternative to Photoshop or Lightroom. I myself have not tried it yet but I feel like still I would prefer to use Photoshop instead of any new software.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Friends just getting interested in photography who've reached a certain level and want to go further, ask me what I suggest. I used to say Lightroom without blinking, but this new program shows promise and the price is very affordable. I think it might be a great way to get into post processing for people who are unsure how far they'll go or are unwilling/unable to spend more.

iiiNelson

I believe that this program is a great Photoshop alternative especially when used in conjunction with Apple Photos, Iridient Developer, Capture One Pro or the like. The price is great at $50 but it goes on sale pretty often for $40. Performance wise, I find that it runs slightly slower than Photoshop during processing time but it balances out when editing and being able to see the effects that processing choices will make before you select them. File support is good across the board and not having to convert items to smart objects is a nice move on part of Affinity developers. The different modules take a little while to get used to in knowing where certain functions lie but it gets easier over time with consistent use. Being able to choose to work within an entire colorspace workflow based on whatever the user prefers is a nifty feature whether you what to do RGB, CMYK, LAB, etc.

If you don't need some of the more Photoshop advanced features like working with 3D objects or integration into other Adobe programs then this software will work perfectly fine for the majority of users. Also it's great to have cross platform compatibility and not have to worry about subscriptions. I actually decided to cancel my Adobe Photography plan today (before renewal kicks in) and will stick with Capture One Pro 10, Affinity Photo, Iridient Developer, and DXO (when needed) for optimal lens correction/denoise functions.

*Pro-tip for those interested in cancelling the Adobe Photography plan. It often helps to contact Abobe customer service over the phone v. cancelling online. While online they attempted to charge me 50% the cost for the remaining time until another 1yr renewal (which would've been another 3.5 months of payment. They can override this extra payment over the phone. Be aware they will attempt to talk you into staying on or offering several months for "free." So that's what happens if you try to become subscription free.

Last edited: