Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some scanner help would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some scanner help would be appreciated

I just loaded the first roll of 120 film into my newly acquired Rolleiflex. I bought some mailers from B+H and plan to just have a set of small prints made for the near term.

I have a Nikon V that has worked very well for 35mm scanning. I am investigating which way to go on an upgrade that will handle 120 film. I have been reading everything I can find on the subject. My dilemma is do I spend $1000 buying an Epson 750V and a wet mounting device or do I need to spend more?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some scanner help would be appreciated

If the funds are available Cindy - do the Nikon 9000 and sell the V to help offset the costs. The 9000 is as good at 120 and 35 as your V and my 5000ED (was) at 35. It will do both formats (slowly - no bulk loaders), but multi-sampling, etc.

Probably the best your going to get short of a Hassy or drum scanner, etc. I also believe you can wet mount - though that may not be as necessary vs using a flatbed.

A flatbed will do an ok job, but will never be the same as a dedicated film scanner. Getting film height above the glass is CRUCIAL as is flatness, etc. when using a flatbed. I'd only consider that route personally if I already had the 750 or had docs and/or large format film to do.

In short, if you're going to stay with 120 film to any extent, you'll thank yourself by up-scaling on the scanner if your budget allows. the V750, as nice as it is, is still a compromise.

That's my advice anyway. If you can call in a favor, you might be able to find someone here who has both a 750 for LF and maybe a 9000 and have them get you access to like 120 scans via FTP. From what I've seen, there is a very notable difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thinking 120 - the upcoming Cv Bessa III (not to mention that 500CM kit on B&S) has got me thinking of doing some nasty things to my budget.

My problem is that I also don't have a scanner. My 5000Ed was sold (stupid) and while I have a 4990, I wouldn't even consider using it for film - no matter how many film holders they sell it with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've heard similar stories about the Nikon 9000. Seems like an excellent choice. I've also heard that you probably want the optional glass carrier for 120/220 which is about $340 on top the roughly $2,000 for the scanner. For rationalization purposes, about the same money as a mint 75 lux.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cindy,

As I mentioned in Tim's post regarding the Rolleiflex earlier http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...1623#post81623, I highly recommend the Nikon 9000. I have been using it for 35mm, 35mm pano, and 6x6 for more than 5 years now.

You do need to get a glass film carrier for MF for better results. Since I mount my slides in Gape glass slide mount (for projection), I have not used Nikon's glass film carrier. Nikon has a dedicated carrier for mounted MF slides.

As for scanning software, some people use vuescan and SilveFast. I have not tried those and been very happy with the Nikon supplied software, NikonScan.

Here are two quick scans of some snaps, the first one is 35mm with Summilux 35 ASPH and the second one 6x6 with Rolleiflex 3.5FH. Fuji Provia film used for both.

Kind regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks RobMac and Ocean for the info. I guess there is no free lunch. I was hoping to stay in the $1000 range, but it looks like I must increase my budget. Some of Tim's rationalization will be in order.

I already use vuescan, so I will stick to that. Staying in the Nikon family will probably keep the learning curve at a minimum.

Thanks for the samples, Ocean. They are both very nice. I am especially happy to see all of the detail in the Rollei photo.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a tip on those film mailers Cindy ... don't mail them individually. Put multiple mailers/rolls in a box and send them that way. The Post office is fond of losing the individual mailers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Here's a tip on those film mailers Cindy ... don't mail them individually. Put multiple mailers/rolls in a box and send them that way. The Post office is fond of losing the individual mailers.
    I will do that Marc. Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

No worries Cindy.

I tended to find the film scanned dictated the software used. Many of the films I tried did better with SF vs Nikonscan, but some films like Portra 160 & 400NC were just amazing with the stock Nikon software.

Portrait 160NC (135) shots from an R8 with a late 90 Elmarit processed with NS at 16x sampling were virtually identical to the same shots, same lens, 2 mins later done with a Canon 30D. had to double check that I didn't have two copies of the 30D shots.

Ocean - that first shot (Venice ?) is amazing.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Ocean - that first shot (Venice ?) is amazing.
    Rob, Thank you. This was actually taken in Florence few weeks ago in a very cold afternoon. Here is another one (35 Summilux ASPH).

Kind regards,

nei1

I use a minolta 5400 for 35mm and I think it will out scan any nikon.they made an excellent multiscanner for 120 which is pretty expensive second hand but cheaper and I think better than the nikon,the problem is maintenance of course although Ive had no problems with mine.

Post Thanks / Like

The Minoltas DO have a VERY strong rep - as witnessed by fact that 2nd hand prices have soared since they were discontinued.

I normally don't pay attention to Ken R, but his site does have some comments on various Nikon/Minolta scanners that can at least give you a starting point for research if you think you can find a clean used one.

Ocean - Florence it is. The color, tonality and detail of the hots are just great. the first is my fave of the two for the poses and colors in the costumes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went to B&H Today
    looking at Scanners....
    I have narrowed it down to Two

Nikon 9000 /$1995.00 ...The Dream scanner
    Epson 750 / $795.00 ...The Practical & Exc Scanner

Post Thanks / Like

Just buy the suckers used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Just buy the suckers used.
    At present I'm counting my PENNIES
    and can't even Afford Used... but its Fun to window shop...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have a plustek 7300 - cost around 250 euros. Comes with silverfast software while probably clever suffers from the UI from hell. Ended up buying Vuescan which has a better workflow.

wish i could say more about it...so far i have used it mainly to do lo-res previews of old negs for cataloguing... but today, after developing my second film of the weekend, the external power supply died on me.. so i cant give any real feedback beyond that this is what i pulled from a very old forgotten neg last week.

My research indicated that the flatbeds like the epson were better for formats bigger than 35 mm. The Nikons are supposed to be the best... but then again apart from plustek they seem to be the only game in town

scanning b/w seems to be a minefield I haven't yet navigated - there is lots of conflicting info. General indication is that XP2 and other C-41 developed films are easier to scan than traditional tri-x/hp5

I am still on the learning curve on this and will share experience

a) as soon as i get the power-supply fixed
    b) I am more confident in my long dormant developing skills

oh and

c) when i take delivery of a battered Leica CL....have to beg Cams lenses and actually have real film negs to get right. Though I suppose I do have an old Nikon film camera and a nice set of lenses i could be working on now:-)

cheers

K
    Last edited by kevinparis; 30th September 2009 at 23:57.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell me about it. If window shopping were fatal I'd have been dead a long time ago.

The 9000 doesn't come up often used, but with more folks bailing from film...a WTB here, on the RFF and say LL might not be a bad idea when the penny jar gets full enough. Am in same boat. Want to shoot film with digital but want flexibility of scanning MF and 135.

That said just acquired a CV 58 SLII and CV 75/2.5 SL that haven't even arrived yet and my Mac is starting to smoke with my PS work on my 1Ds2 files, so the (much) better half is just ignoring my mutterings about 'scanners'.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    At present I'm counting my PENNIES
    and can't even Afford Used... but its Fun to window shop...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...snip...
    c) when i take delivery of a battered Leica CL....have to beg Cams lenses and actually have real film negs to get right. Though I suppose I do have an old Nikon film camera and a nice set of lenses i could be working on now:-)

cheers

K[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that the little boy is saying: " I don't need no stinking G1!"
    Congratulations on the new CL.

Post Thanks / Like

I found it really does vary by film and even by shot (contrast, etc) within a film. The software can also be a big determinate. Some films scan better with X vs Y.

My experience before selling my 5000 ED (idiot...) was same as you'd seen. C41 processed B&W, on average, scanned better (for B&W). That said 'better' is a relative thing. I have a print on Epson VFA scanned from Tri-X that is as contrasty and grainy as hell, but wife and I just love it.

Films like the Kodak Portras scan REALLY well so if scanning B&W emulsions proves really annoying (as many find it), scanning a nice late-design color film (more designed with scanning in mind), allowing sue of ICE and then using SilverEffex to convert to B&W and tweak the grain and contrast curve more to your liking would be an option.

There is the whole B&W tonality argument of B&W vs. color film, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. ;>

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    i have a plustek 7300 - cost around 250 euros. Comes with silverfast software while probably clever suffers from the UI from hell. Ended up buying Vuescan which has a better workflow.

wish i could say more about it...so far i have used it mainly to do lo-res previews of old negs for cataloguing... but today, after developing my second film of the weekend, the external power supply died on me.. so i cant give any real feedback beyond that this is what i pulled from a very old forgotten neg last week.

My research indicated that the flatbeds like the epson were better for formats bigger than 35 mm. The Nikons are supposed to be the best... but then again apart from plustek they seem to be the only game in town

scanning b/w seems to be a minefield I haven't yet navigated - there is lots of conflicting info. General indication is that XP2 and other C-41 developed films are easier to scan than traditional tri-x/hp5

I am still on the learning curve on this and will share experience

a) as soon as i get the power-supply fixed
    b) I am more confident in my long dormant developing skills

oh and

cheers

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

since there is such a difference in price between the two scanners you are considering, you might want to factor in the size you will be printing to.

If you are only scanning MF and if you only want to print up to 13x19 I think you will be well served with the epson.

35mm scanned on the epson might leave you wanting, but if you only print to 11x14 I think you'll be fine.

(Friedlander made a career out of 11x14 from 35mm...if its good enough for him...)

If you want to print any larger you have no choice but the nikon.

I bought an epson 4990 for 4x5 and 8x10, and it does a good job on those, which is not saying much.

fyi-th epson scanners are really only half the rated resolution. My 4990 is something like 4800dpi but that is really fuzzy. 2000ppi is about right. So from 35mm you can get 10 inches on the long side, maybe 14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arrgh, my head is burning! I want all this stuff. But a step at a time.

A question regarding B&W film, does anyone develop film, make traditional silver prints and THEN scan the prints? I keep reading about a compressed dynamic range from scanners and wondering how that balances with the print-scan approach. How much control in post processing is possible with negs scanned to digital? Are the results you can get that way; better than, the same as, or worse than what a silver print looks like?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

granted they were from 4x5, but i have a few images in the large format film thread that were scanned on an epson 700 from tri-x negs developed in HC 110. they look pretty good to me, even compared to my original silver prints

Post Thanks / Like

FYI the latest issue of View Camera has a short but timely article on best results scanning larger negs on the V750M Pro. Essentially with the right (betterscanning.com) accessories, profiles, care, workflow, software and practice it can do well (again on LF in this case).

The biggest issues again being keeping the film flat, especially as the scanner gets warm from multiple scanning passes and getting negative JUST the right height above the bed for sharp results.

Personally, if no need for LF scanning, flatbeds are a compromise best avoided IF the budget permits. Dedicated films scanners be they Minolta or Nikon deliver great, repeatable results with minimal PITA. Scanning is never FUN, but the PITA factor and frustration can be minimized and saved time can be spent shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here are a couple more scanned today from the Plustek OpticFilm 7300. Having a real bad time with my own processed HP5 - but these are from some kodak colour film that was lying around

shot on borrowed M2 and noctilux, some PP in Aperture and Define

will have to find a less dusty apartment, find some distilled water for the final wash and learn to be really careful about scratches - you know I don't think this whole film thing will ever catch on :-)

K
    Last edited by kevinparis; 30th September 2009 at 23:57.

nei1

Tim ,if you print using enlarger paper and chemicals your best efforts will be like small treasures,you will love them.On the other hand a scanned neg,photoshopped to hell,heaven and back again will be technically perfect but not nearly as lovable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't disagree Nei1, but I like to share the love. Which means there will be digits involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    I went to B&H Today
    looking at Scanners....
    I have narrowed it down to Two

Nikon 9000 /$1995.00 ...The Dream scanner
    Epson 750 / $795.00 ...The Practical & Exc Scanner
    If you go with an Epson flatbed go with the V700 and not the V750 as the wetmounting platform that comes with the V750 is a POS as it scans through the low-quality plastic on it--after much testing there is zero difference at scans up to and including 2400ppi from the V750 and V700's in our lab. There's also no point in going above 2400ppi as you are optically limited by the lens in the scanner.

My suggestion is to save/bite the bullet and buy the Nikon 9000 if it's within the realm of possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

jeremy

would be interested to know your thoughts on the plustek - i bought it as a way of archiving old negs with sentimental rather than artistic value.

the software that comes with it (silverfast) has the worst interface ever seen...I am sure it is capable of doing great things but what is it with germans and interface design :-)

Vuescan is a little better - but all those options sheesh... both are designed to confuse... and I am someone who has spent the last 20 years working with all sorts of software and demoing it to the public...

K

Post Thanks / Like

@Kevinparis

Hi Kevin,

From your screen name i assume you live in Paris so If you want to get your negs developed nicely I recommend Negatif+ ( blvd Lafayette) or just google it. They propose a lot of diffrent services and they do huge volumes so their chemicals are always up to date.

I don't know the scanner but I have always been pleased with my nikon coolscan IV which is the model from around 2001. Have a look at ebay or around shope in paris as they tend to pop up. Or go for the more recent model the coolscan V.

Vuescan is the way to go to get nice flat bw negs when scanning. check this tip:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootf...57608204093047

Good luck.
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks for that william

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kevin,
    I use a Nikon V and an approach similar to the one outlined in this tutorial. I always lightly brush off my negs with a dedicated sable brush before I scan them. Scanning is pretty easy with the Nikon V.

Post Thanks / Like

A brush that works well is the Visible Dust sensor brush - statically (word?) grabs the dust off negatives. Like Cindy (I used the 5000ED) - the scanning process itself is very easy with the Nikons. If doing any volume at a time, the 35mm slide feeder works very well. There is also a roll-film feeder but I've no experience with it.

Hide the penny jar: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...7/limit/recent
    Last edited by robmac; 17th March 2009 at 08:07.

nei1

If your scanning mainly black and white then a cold cathode light source is better,its pretty good with colour too,again the old minoltas are the only ones that have this light source and again I dont know what Ill do if the bulb goes.The nikons are I imagine easier to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

well in my experience, the nikon 9000 does not do as well with black and white negatives as it does with black and white positives. It does phenomenal with color negative film like fuji pro 160C, it does okay with color positive film like provia. I have both glass holders and there are advantages to each. Of course you know it is still consumer grade but it is as good at some films as the older generation imacons but not with velvia, imho..

Post Thanks / Like

Viablex,

Do you have some straight scans from films like fuji 160c or portra 160 or 400 you could show as I'm planning on getting a new scanner soon?

Thanks.
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I modded one of the trays for my Nikon 8000 for wetmounting. Results are stunning. if your negs can resolve 112 megapixels then the Nikon will, albeit with a slight softness so MTF might seem a little low until you sharpen. With 16x multisampling the tonal smoothness and deep densities will match a midrange drumscanner (but pixel to pixel contrast will of course not). And for convenience it's great too, for a quick scan just pop in a MF strip into the glassless holder and scan it.

Personally I think the Nikon software is OK, the least bad of all scanner softwares. Digital ICE is fantastic, a huge timesaver but works best on E6 film and has problems with silver halide.

If you can find a used 8000 or 9000 at a good price then that might be a great choice for dedicated MF scanner.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a straight scan from Velvia, 16x oversampling, with ICE. Scanned in the glass MF holder so no wetmounting.

The frame along the top is from the film holder.
    Some tonal adjustments give brings up shadow details:

Post Thanks / Like

Lars - nice.

I actually played with wet scanning 35mm slides (sandwiched between glass mounts) did a nice job. ICE (an issue with B&W negs sadly) and 16x is worth it's weight in gold.

Knew I shouldn't have started participating in this thread - keep thinking M7II 1-2 lenses or maybe the CV Bessa III or a nice used Hassy 500 kit and a 9000ED. Ouch.

One thing to bear in mind is that scanning 35mm let alone 120 film creates BIG files (35mm + 16x = 110MB+) and any PP work in PS will require a computer with LOTS of RAM if, like me, your an adjustment layer junkie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The cool thing about wetmounting on a Coolscan MF scanner is that it's really easy and you can work fast - between the fluid and ICE, almost all defects are taken care of. No need for dust paranoia like on a drum scanner - and believe me with a drumscanner you have to be really paranoid.

As a parenthesis, my dusting setup for my drum scanner consists of a 240-120V transformer, a small compressor (for airbrushing) with a humidity filter, an airtool hose, a Wilkerson coalescing filter, and a Simco TopGun ionizing airgun. The coalescing filter is a bit expensive (a few hundred dollars, cheaper on ebay) but really scrubs the air clean from oil as well as humidity. The TopGun emits both positive and negative ions into the air stream, which gets rid of any and all static, period. It's quite a setup but if you spend up to an hour dusting each 8x10" scan then it's worth it. Great for cleaning keyboards and camera sensors as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    The cool thing about wetmounting on a Coolscan MF scanner is that it's really easy and you can work fast - between the fluid and ICE, almost all defects are taken care of. No need for dust paranoia like on a drum scanner - and believe me with a drumscanner you have to be really paranoid.

As a parenthesis, my dusting setup for my drum scanner consists of a 240-120V transformer, a small compressor (for airbrushing) with a humidity filter, an airtool hose, a Wilkerson coalescing filter, and a Simco TopGun ionizing airgun. The coalescing filter is a bit expensive (a few hundred dollars, cheaper on ebay) but really scrubs the air clean from oil as well as humidity. The TopGun emits both positive and negative ions into the air stream, which gets rid of any and all static, period. It's quite a setup but if you spend up to an hour dusting each 8x10" scan then it's worth it. Great for cleaning keyboards and camera sensors as well.

Lars,
    What solution do you use for wetmounting?

Post Thanks / Like

Well...

I just bought a epson v700 today as my old epson 2450 died a few days ago. So hopefully I will be able to do some testing...i'm on my second scan now and I'm quite impressed.
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    Viablex,

Do you have some straight scans from films like fuji 160c or portra 160 or 400 you could show as I'm planning on getting a new scanner soon?

Thanks.

fuji 160c I used digital ice but not wet mounting, Lars don't play!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post

okay you knew that this question qould be posed, what did you do to modify the holder to allow wet mounting, and what fluid do you use!! that scan is off the hook, do you use it8 targets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    okay you knew that this question qould be posed, what did you do to modify the holder to allow wet mounting, and what fluid do you use!! that scan is off the hook, do you use it8 targets?
    I gutted the 35mm filstrip holder so only the frame remained, then had a sheet of glass cut to fit inside the opening. I had to shim the glass carefully to get it in the same focus plane across the surface. Then silicone sealant along the edges to keep any fluid from leaking out. In the photo you can see the underside masked with black tape to keep stray light away.

If I redid the tray I would have used thinner glass, it's a large heavy sheet which means the stepping motor in the scanner has to work harder and will probably wear more.

Also note at the right side that the coding holes are masked to be the same as on the MF filmstrip holder, this will tell the scanner to scan the MF width.

For fluid I first started out with lighter fluid from a tobacco store, which is pure naphta. Now I have a drum scanner so I use drum scanner fluid which is KAMI. I'm not sure where I bough cover sheets, someone sells cut sheets specifically for Coolscan 8000/9000.

Yes have some IT8 targets, the 35mm targets are batch measured so I'm not sure how exact they are. My 4x5 targets (for the drum scanner) are individually measured but more expensive.

BTW if you're like me you'd be worried about soaking your precious film originals in a solution. I left a slide in the solution for a few days, to verify that nothing bad would happen. That piece of film had never been so clean
    Last edited by Lars; 18th March 2009 at 08:52.

Post Thanks / Like

wow you are just "the man" you have really inspired me !!

Post Thanks / Like

Lens cleaning fluid also works fine if KAMI isn't easily available.
    Nice job Lars. If you can find an efficient way to wet scan, it w/o questions yields nice results.
    Last edited by robmac; 18th March 2009 at 09:19.

Post Thanks / Like

Example to show the detail and low-grain possible with 160NC (lighting sucked, but simply screwing around testing lens). I use this example because the same shot taken seconds later using the same lens on a 30D was identical in terms of resolution. I had to double check exif when I printed them as thought I'd done two copies of the 30D file.

Snapshot crop of an unprocessed scan from a 5000ED (similar performance to 9000). 16x sampling, dry mounted. No USM, no PP what soever - just cropping and converting for posting here. R8 using 90/2.8 latest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While we're on the subject of scanning fluids - a warning is motivated.

Naphta is a clear petroleum-based liquid that evaporates without leaving any trace. It's probably not good to inhale it, so make sure you are doing the mounting in a ventiilated area.

In Sweden there is a product sold under the name "lacknafta", it's a paint cleaner based on naphta. lacknafta also contains various oil products that do not evaporate, so it is NOT suitable for wetmounting.

In general, a good wetmounting liquid should:
    - Evaporate clean, leaving no trace. Try on a clean glass surface.
    - No harm film. Stick a neg into the liquid for a few days to test.

KAMI also sells a drum cleaner solution and a film cleaner. The drum cleaner is for removing tape glue residuals left from the mounting tape used with drums. There is no need to use tape with a flat scanning surface so no need to look at that product. KAMIs film cleaner does a good job, but the mouting fluid itself cleans the film so well that there seldom is a need for additional cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

point well taken it doesn't take too much exposure to induce RADS in people, this is why I am glad I don't have a darkroom actually, inhaling chemicals in general is not wise especially over time.

I found a premade wet mounting tray but it is pricey and a a place to buy kami fluid so I may try that!!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

having never tried wet mounting...how messy is it? i assume you add a layer of solvent to the glass and , what? squeegee down the negative?