The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo hosting sites

Bugleone

As of 27th June 'Photobucket' has changed it's hosting facility and my images are effectively ransomed.......

What is a better hosting site please?

pegelli

I use SmugMug and am very happy with the site. It's very reliable, customizable and user friendly and cost is reasonable (It costs me less then 60$ per year)

In case anybody is interested you can use this link: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=qhPNqZdmiZ1oE, which will get both you and me a discount. No pressure, just a small win-win in case you choose to go with SmugMug.

But there are several other good (pay) sites as well (Flickr, Zenfolio, Joomeo, .......) so it pays to look around and choose one which one suits you best.

I also started of with Photobucket several years ago but abandoned them once they changed their terms that they get a non exclusive right to use any picture uploaded to them and since I didn't want that decided to go to a pay site (most free sites have such a clause these days)

Godfrey

I've been using Flickr.com since 2008 for casual presentation and photo sharing. It works well and is very easy to deal with, if not particularly customizable or great.

For some years, I also managed my own photo portfolio website. 100% control, written 100% by me, it did exactly what I wanted then albeit with limited features and such.

Nowadays, if/when I want more control and the ability to host photos the way I want, I'll probably just sign up for a SquareSpace account and use their website design tools rather than building a site from scratch.

G

Bugleone

Thanks for valuable pointers....... I see that there is now angry dissent across the web. I'm trying to get all my images (over the last 12 years!) removed from their site, 399 dollars a year is a little too much for me!

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I upload my snaps to these fora direct from my desktop. Cost free!
If you want to know more, knock twice and ask for Fifi.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You have a free image gallery right here on getDPI. For $30 you can upgrade to an unlimited "Subscriber" gallery, where you can make as many sub albums as you want.

Bugleone

Hi Jack,

I have been wondering about the gallery function here,....I took a quick look but failed to sort out how to upload images....

.......Any hints or pointers?

Jan

I use EverWeb (the new I-Web, commercial 'affordable' software) for maintaining my website and do the hosting with a local provider which cost me (current xchange rate) around 50 USD/year.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack,

I have been wondering about the gallery function here,....I took a quick look but failed to sort out how to upload images....

.......Any hints or pointers?
Yup, to upload an image, go to your gallery, click the upload button. At the "choose image" button, press it and choose an image you want to upload. You can do 10 at a time. Make sure you select your gallery from upload to menu below if it isn't already defaulted to that. Then read this post about to use them :) : https://www.getdpi.com/forum/about-...-/54-how-post-images-threads-use-gallery.html

Rachael Alice

Not Available
Here the list of some top photo hosting site which I use from last few years and i give me full control over my website and business images. You also try to upload your image over these sites. It's really user friendly and helpful.

Imgur
Flickr
Photobucket
DeviantArt
Shutterfly
TinyPic
WeHeartIt