The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tone Mapping

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Why??? I know a few guys here use it rather heavily, some use it less so, and most don't use it at all, at least any more. Put me in the camp of not liking the look. Just sayin.

/rant

iiiNelson

I don't know. Like all things there's a time and place. Whether or not it's aesthetically pleasing is highly subjective.

I've done some tone mapping on images that I think were greatly enhanced by doing so and I've done some that looking back makes me question my thought process at the time of processing. It's like any other processing - there's some uses that will looking pleasing to most and some that will look pleasing to few. If it helps create one's vision then great and if not then that's fine too.

Mark Muse

Its implementation is rather crude in C1. See Lr for a far more natural implementation. I have moved to C1 from Lr and the rather harsh rendering with blocked up shadows is something I am wrestling with. It is as if my A7r2 has lost several stops of dynamic range. The shadows are simply not very recoverable, exactly the opposite of Lr. Sorry for expressing my frustration. While I am having trouble with the tonal rendering in C1, on the positive side I think the color rendering of Sony files is vastly superior in C1.