The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe latest LR classic and PS really slow

bab

working with LR classic the brush is super slow so is moving files to a catolouge
in PS the healing brush take for ever

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? Do I need to do something to speed up the programs? Like change some setting that didnt port over from the previous versions.

thanks

BAB

fotografz

Just starting to use the new LR. Transfer of files to LR Classic was super slow and I'm not sure it completed the transfer. I don't use the healing brush in LR because I've never like it compared to PS.

Very confusing new issue of LR with LR 2018 and LR Classic. I don't understand LR 2018 ... but haven't looked into it yet. I never seem to learn to study something before committing to it. :facesmack:

- Marc

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Frustrated is an understatement . I avoided PS because it was and continues to be a huge sink hole for wasting time . I completely understand the need to produce the very highest quality possible and if I was producing commercial work ..it still seems a must have and learn.

LR has been my go to post processing since it was introduced . The ability to work of the original raw file indefinitely with out a need for duplicate copies and the strong digital asset management foundation ...seemed to keep it well positioned . So now ten years later and a few hundred thousand images ..its my archive .

Raw Processing Quality .....no question that the LR/PS combination no longer competes for best possible raw conversions with Capture One /DXO etc . Depending on your system others maybe even better ...Irident for example for Fuji X files .

Yet ..Capture One ....much improved work flow and superb conversion process...will not support competitive MF files . Leica S,Fuji and HB are not supported (work arounds lose the file specific conversion logic..so DNG is a no go for me).

:banghead:

erudolph

After standing my ground as a Perpetual License user I finally caved in and subscribed, due to the recent announcement of discontinuing support for the Standalone version of LR.

I started following Victoria Brampton's forum to understand what some of the issues are. Marc, you probably want to stay away from LRCC and if anything stick with LR Classic CC.

On the whole, the upgrade was painless. My catalogue is about 3 gb and has about 60k images in it. Both LR and CC are working well on a late 2012 iMac w 32gb RAM and I have not noticed any slowness using brushes.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I am starting to actively hate Adobe. Like others, I've long known that C1 is a better raw converter but for DAM, and for wider camera compatibility, plus the fact that I committed to it years ago and have a massive catalogue of images and their edits stored in it dating back ten years or more, LR has been essential to me.

Now withe the forced update cycle, they have screwed up large.

Firstly, no serious photographer with a huge catalogue is ever, ever going to use the new LRCC - for two reasons: 1) the cost of the cloud storage would be immense and 2) the upload of existing assets would take forever even on a fast connection. My catalogue is terabytes. As an additional factor 3) I am not a child, and I don't need access to everything everywhere.

SO I have to use LR CC Classic as they call it. Only on my Mac Pro late 2013 with 6 fast cores and 64GB ram, it won't run. It freezes constantly, says 'Loading' all the time, won't let me see files at all in Develop view, and is generally utterly useless - and yes I have turned off the graphics processor and followed the other tips and tricks.

Adobe used to be so cool, so useful, so listening. Now they are insistent on giving us not what we want, but on what they want to sell.

We'll see how that ends.

Godfrey

LR 6.12 (perpetual license) runs fine on my system, does pretty much everything I need, and I have zero plans to acquire any new cameras—I'm completely satisfied with the two Leicas and my film cameras. I am also moving away from the volume of work I once did and have little motivation to learn new processing techniques, change workflow, etc. So as long as LR6 remains compatible with macOS, I will just stick with it.

If and when the time comes that I can't run LR6 any more, I'll consider its successors and the competition.

I want to spend my time in Photography doing photography and not fussing over the equipment and the supporting technologies. :)

G

tashley

Subscriber Member
LR 6.12 (perpetual license) runs fine on my system, does pretty much everything I need, and I have zero plans to acquire any new cameras—I'm completely satisfied with the two Leicas and my film cameras. I am also moving away from the volume of work I once did and have little motivation to learn new processing techniques, change workflow, etc. So as long as LR6 remains compatible with macOS, I will just stick with it.

If and when the time comes that I can't run LR6 any more, I'll consider its successors and the competition.

I want to spend my time in Photography doing photography and not fussing over the equipment and the supporting technologies. :)

G

Very wise too, and I am glad that LR6 meets your needs - up until not long after that release, it worked very well for me too! However the standalone is to be discontinued and I don't trust myself not to acquire new cameras at some point, given my 'previous'.... One thing I would add, though, is that lens profiles are as useful to me as the ability to read RAW files from new camera models, and that over time the lens profiles in LR6 perpetual will not be updated either.

Last edited:

scapevision

I've jumped up to the Classic as well and definitely noticed a huge drop in performance. I don't know what they did in those "speed improvements", but my copy seems to have been skipped!

JohnBrew

I am starting to actively hate Adobe. Like others, I've long known that C1 is a better raw converter but for DAM, and for wider camera compatibility, plus the fact that I committed to it years ago and have a massive catalogue of images and their edits stored in it dating back ten years or more, LR has been essential to me.

Now withe the forced update cycle, they have screwed up large.

Firstly, no serious photographer with a huge catalogue is ever, ever going to use the new LRCC - for two reasons: 1) the cost of the cloud storage would be immense and 2) the upload of existing assets would take forever even on a fast connection. My catalogue is terabytes. As an additional factor 3) I am not a child, and I don't need access to everything everywhere.

SO I have to use LR CC Classic as they call it. Only on my Mac Pro late 2013 with 6 fast cores and 64GB ram, it won't run. It freezes constantly, says 'Loading' all the time, won't let me see files at all in Develop view, and is generally utterly useless - and yes I have turned off the graphics processor and followed the other tips and tricks.

Adobe used to be so cool, so useful, so listening. Now they are insistent on giving us not what we want, but on what they want to sell.

We'll see how that ends.
Tim, so right! I just now opened the new updates and HOLY COW have they screwed the pooch! I don't know what happened to Bridge but it is now worthless. And really, really slow. What pisses me off is that you can't use Bridge or PS until you have loaded the new updates. I wish there was some way to go back to the previous version. I've been trying Luminar, but it needs a way to preview the images before selecting what to work on. I've always hated C1 because it is so different from PS, which I learned on, but I'm ready to throw in the towel and start taking YouTube tutorials.
And, no, the rant is not over. It's just beginning.
I hope everyone has Happy Holidaze and you don't have to work on your images with Adobe products.
John

darr

Sorry you guys are experiencing so many different problems since the upgrade. I am running an iMac purchased new in 2016 with 64 RAM. I have experienced the "loading" scenario after exporting an image in PS, working on it, then importing it back into LR's Library module. I find if I switch to seeing the image in the Develop module, the "loading" scenario stops. This happened before about 2 years ago when there was another major upgrade. Adobe worked it out and I am sure they will again. I need to use LR for cataloging and quick development. I've tried other programs, but LR is still my image garage.

Kind regards,
Darr

iiiNelson

At the very least I’d advise everyone backup their catalogs to prepare ingestion to another RAW converter. It seems quite a few companies are paving the way to make it easier to move your catalog to their platform whether it’s Phase One, Luminar, Photo Mechanic, or DXO. Personally I dropped Adobe back in June due to hearing rumors that standalone support would be dropped and frankly I was using Adobe less and less for RAW conversion. Since I currently only shoot Sony it wasn’t as big of a deal to shift to Capture One and Affinity Photo but I could see how that could be a problem for those that shoot other MF systems. I’ve said for years that Phase One is missing a very obvious software market opportunity by not supporting competing MF cameras but I guess that’s da dead horse to beat at this point. No doubt many would drop Adobe in a second if they would support competing MF systems.

On another front Serif is slowly developing DAM software but no release on that. I’m also testing Luminar now due to possibly purchasing a Fujifilm XT-2 and GFX soon.

MrSmith

Considering how much money adobe are sitting on the performance of photoshop is abysmal. I use it nearly everyday and despite the latest Mac hardware it's terribly slow. Brush lag, glitches changing viewing mode and the extract/refine edge tool just sits there hanging. And if i check an email and come back to CS a brush stroke will only do the first round part of the initial stroke and not the whole thing. I would gladly pay double the subscription for it to work properly. It's not the Apple hardware either FCP-X shows just how good hardware/software can work together.

They really need to pull their finger out.

fotografz

Considering how much money adobe are sitting on the performance of photoshop is abysmal. I use it nearly everyday and despite the latest Mac hardware it's terribly slow. Brush lag, glitches changing viewing mode and the extract/refine edge tool just sits there hanging. And if i check an email and come back to CS a brush stroke will only do the first round part of the initial stroke and not the whole thing. I would gladly pay double the subscription for it to work properly. It's not the Apple hardware either FCP-X shows just how good hardware/software can work together.

They really need to pull their finger out.
I have none of those issues. Performance/speed/rendering is instant. The only issue I've had since the last Photoshop CC update have been crashes when trying to save files from Google/Nik plug-in (probably need to update the Nik stuff). Using a Mac also. I wonder if you are experiencing a Graphics Card issue?

- Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Marc,

Mine is not that slow.

Nik is pretty much defunct on the PS CC these days ... mine crashed one too many times.
I moved to Luminar 2018 as it is supported and rumor is many of the original Nik programmers are there.
A little slower and the interface is a bit different but output is very close. If only they would spend a bit
more time perfecting the BW conversion .... does not seem to have all of the emulsion curves
that I came to trust in Silver Efex 2.

You may be right that it is a graphics card issue or a conflict with software.

Bob

fotografz

Marc,

Mine is not that slow.

Nik is pretty much defunct on the PS CC these days ... mine crashed one too many times.
I moved to Luminar 2018 as it is supported and rumor is many of the original Nik programmers are there.
A little slower and the interface is a bit different but output is very close. If only they would spend a bit
more time perfecting the BW conversion .... does not seem to have all of the emulsion curves
that I came to trust in Silver Efex 2.

You may be right that it is a graphics card issue or a conflict with software.

Bob
So, there isn't an update? I may put PS 6 back on my machine so I can still use Nik plug-in.

BTW, when I open Silver Efx Pro-II out of Light Room, it works fine.

- Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
No Update ... Google has stated that it is no longer supporting the product.

I hate to go back to a product that is without a forward path. Guess I am
in denial about my age and future prospects. :ROTFL:

Luminar may be the only path forward at this point.

Bob

archiM44

I just tried LRCC Classic on my oldest iMac (late 2009) running on Sierra and have noticed none of the mentioned problems.
It responds well to my catalog of 40000+ images
Masking is very quick and smooth and responds well to the new functions of refining the mask.
Opening the Fuji RAF files at 100% is a little slow is a little slow before they are completely sharp.On the same old iMac that is faster using Capture One PRO11.
The LR catalog works better than the Capture One and synchronizing Capture One catalog files is not reliable at all.
Luminar is muuuuuuch slower at loading RAW files, whether they be X-Trans or Bayer than either LR Classic or Capture One so I don't use it and regret the purchase.
I guess everyone seems to have a different experience with diverse programs.