The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HELP: Cant Open Files taken 10 years ago in LR

rollsman44

I have photos from our vacation we took back in 2006 and have them on a DVD. I tried to open the files but could not in LR. Did not recognize them. Is there any way to open them so I can make up some prints. Thank you Dennis

Knorp

Mmm, then you need a computer nerd instead of a photographer.
Did you try browsing that DVD ?
If your OS (Microsoft or Apple ?) can't find the files or even the DVD, so nor can your LR ...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
IsoBuster can open almost anything ... a PC program but will run on any Parallels type simulator.

https://www.isobuster.com

It will dump everything out and you can recover stuff.

Many times DVD programs early on used a format for writing that was not continued today. Or the disk may be corrupted.

I always write 2 usually 3 backups on disks to insure that one may be readable in the future.

Good luck.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This sounds like you are reading the DVD directly into LR making it hard to determine the true issue . Eliminate LR from the discussion . Try loading the files from the DVD to you desktop using your computer . In a Mac the DVD will show up as a drive on the desk top . Pull the folders across to your computer .

Now you can work on possible problems with the DVD .

To help more we need to know ...PC or MAC ? have you been able to get your computer to recognize the DVD ?

This problem is almost certainly with the DVD itself and has nothing to do with LR . But we can know for sure if you move the files to your computer .

rollsman44

When I insert the DVD in my IMAc not even recognize that a DVD is in. Under Devices it does not show the DVD listed. Thank you

Godfrey

When I insert the DVD in my IMAc not even recognize that a DVD is in. Under Devices it does not show the DVD listed. Thank you
What camera were the images made with?
How was the DVD made?

Perhaps insert the DVD and then use Image Capture.app to see if that recognizes it ...?

G

Knorp

It could mean the DVD is damaged, let's not forget it's about eleven years old, or its format is not compatible with your current OS version.
Or perhaps the DVD was created under Windows ?

I told you: we need a 'nerd' ...

rollsman44

It was on the DVD in 2006 I am of course using a different computer Update OS Mac. You mean to tell me that due to software upgrades images made several years ago can't be opened? It doesn't even show up under Devices . Normally I would get a CD or DVD showing up. Nothing
Thank you for all your suggestions nut still trying to figure it out. I don't remember which camera I used. Might have been a Canon 5D

I am Sorry I just checked They are on CD-R NOT DVD

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
When any storage medium doesn t show up in Finder on a MAC..it means that the MAC can not read or recognize the LABEL/Volume. In this case the CD-R .

The OS iOS looking for the type of volume to determine how to read the detail contained . There is a better terminology for this but the point is that it doesn t know what it has ....like a cover to a book .

1. It has nothing to do with LR .

2. It does not mean that the files contained can not be read ..,maybe yes maybe not .

Recovery software may be helpful ....but read the forum posts you will find from the Google search .

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I hope that you are able to get to your files. Please remember though that CDs and DVDs are not suitable for long term backup. Only tiny damages can make them unreadable and you can't be sure that these devices can be read by computers at all 20 or 30 years from now. An increasing number of computers are made without CD/DVD readers, and although it's possible to keep old devices to be able to read those discs, you can't be sure that they will actually work in 30 years from now.

A couple of years ago, I went through stacks of old CDs and DVDs, and found that a surprisingly large portion of them where defect, also some of the "archival" ones. Most of my data now exists on multiple HDDs. Hopefully, that's safe enough for permanent storage, but with commercial electronics and the rapid development of computer technology, I doubt that they'll survive me, unlike the 80 year old printed family photos that were given to me by an older family member earlier this year.

tcdeveau

Possibly a dumb question, but does your drive open other CD-Rs/DVDs/etc (ie have you confirmed that the drive itself isn't defective)?

rollsman44

I did try with a different DVD and it opened. Is it possible it won't read CD-R ? I will continue to search Google . Thank you all

Satrycon

take it to a repair shop / or a printing place..ask them to use a pc with windows to open the CD and copy the files onto the memory stick.

I did try with a different DVD and it opened. Is it possible it won't read CD-R ? I will continue to search Google . Thank you all