The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 3FR files, ACR, and Passport custom profiles

mostlylost

I am accustomed to making custom camera profiles using Passport and applying them in Adobe Camera Raw. However, when processing Hasselblad files I note that the only profiles available for selection are Adobe Standard and Matrix. I normally see the custom camera profile at this point.

Only if I first convert the 3FR files to DNG's using Phocus and then open the DNG's in ACR am I able to select the custom profile.

Is this normal or have I messed up something ?

JohnBrew

I am accustomed to making custom camera profiles using Passport and applying them in Adobe Camera Raw. However, when processing Hasselblad files I note that the only profiles available for selection are Adobe Standard and Matrix. I normally see the custom camera profile at this point.

Only if I first convert the 3FR files to DNG's using Phocus and then open the DNG's in ACR am I able to select the custom profile.

Is this normal or have I messed up something ?
I believe you are doing it correctly though someone else here might know of a better way.

mostlylost

I believe you are doing it correctly though someone else here might know of a better way.
Ok, then perhaps I'm asking the wrong question.
A better question would be "How much information is lost in converting the original, out of camera raw file to an unedited DNG using Phocus" and then opening the DNG in ACR and proceeding with my normal editing routine from there? Or I suppose creating the custom profile in Phocus using the Passport target and the exporting to DNG would be preferable.

I would have thought I was better versed in DNG's as that's what comes out of my Leica's natively, but perhaps I need more information in that area.

I hate spell check. Every time I tried to type DNG the spell check wanted to change it to DOG :)

Last edited:

bab

I think the only changes would or could be meta data
The Digital Negative specification allows for not only all of the pixel information stored in current raw formats, but also for all of the additional, proprietary metadata that many manufacturers include. The Adobe DNG Converter may in some cases ignore some of this proprietary metadata, and only include the basic information necessary for creating a high-quality image file. The original raw file, however, can also be embedded in the new DNG format to ensure proprietary metadata from the manufacturer is not lost.