The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What does Capture One do Better than Camera Raw?

Frankly

Been playing with the full trial version on my Nikon D810 files. As far as imaging processing I don't see any ready difference in results between C1 and ACR but I'm just dabbling so far. Granted the organizational and project features could be nice but I don't use those much.

How could C1 possibly give me a better picture? Is it completely subjective or does C1 have some magic that discovers information that ACR misses? Or is simply a matter of producing images with a slightly different color palette? (In which case which colors and how much are they affected?)

In what areas should I be looking in order to see the differences?

Please throw me a hint.

iiiNelson

Been playing with the full trial version on my Nikon D810 files. As far as imaging processing I don't see any ready difference in results between C1 and ACR but I'm just dabbling so far. Granted the organizational and project features could be nice but I don't use those much.

How could C1 possibly give me a better picture? Is it completely subjective or does C1 have some magic that discovers information that ACR misses? Or is simply a matter of producing images with a slightly different color palette? (In which case which colors and how much are they affected?)

In what areas should I be looking in order to see the differences?

Please throw me a hint.
Personally I think the end results could be matched on either with technical know how. The main advantage I notice with C1 is tethering ease. Both are good products but maybe C1 gets to the better result a little easier once you overcome the learning curve.

darr

Hey Frank,

I have both C1 and Lightroom. I stopped my upgrade at v.9 with C1 and made the decision to end my upgrades there. Reasons are I need the DAM program that Lightroom is, and what C1 is not. Also, C1 would not process my Hasselblad files and Lightroom does. The one difference I saw in C1 was a warmer palette. Choosing one over the other is a matter of personal preference IMO. If I had a lot more time for post-processing where I could run separate programs for the Hasselblad files and for my DAM system, I might have stayed with C1, but I already spend too much time in front of a computer, and Lightroom fits all my needs.

Best to you!
Darr

pfigen

I find that C1 gets me closer to where I finally want to be faster than any other raw processor and generally with better quality and C1 extracts more detail from highly detailed files than most other solutions. For Canon files, C1 is so superior that it's a wonder Canon doesn't just license C1 and call it a day. Tethering is a no brainer. It just works. As far as DAM, neither C1 or Lr works for me at all. There are way too many file formats that one or the other won't digest. The DAM side of the development team have little or no understanding of how we professionals actually work and just how many and varied file formats we actually use. And not just image file formats, but video, audio, design, Illustrator, Resolve, Word, and pretty much anything else you can think of that you might use in your workflow.

One of the most important C1 features is the Selective Color tool, which is highly evolved. Nothing like it at all in Adobe products, but more importantly, you can use that tool to fine tune your color response and actually save that as a new ICC input profile.

I could give a crap about all the new layering **** they've added to it. Photoshop is still the best place by far for layering, masking and output. Phase's emphasis on this part of their development makes upgrades far less appealing to me personally, but I may be in the minority. Who knows.

DougDolde

I use C1 because I shot Phase One backs for years. Still use it with the D850.

LR has good tools too but I absolutely hate the cataloging it forces on you.