Site Sponsors

Thread: iPad image processing: Affinity Photo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

iPad image processing: Affinity Photo

I'm on travel now and my iPad Pro 9.7 is doing service as my "do it all" carry computer very nicely.

That said: I found myself dissatisfied with the results out of the latest Snapseed, which now processes raw files but I hadn't used for that purpose. My Leica CL images seemed to lack the sparkle I saw on screen when rendering them. Well, I've had Affinity Photo on the iPad for some time but hadn't used it. I took on particularly critical example (it's nothing without snap and pop in the sharpness) and quickly dragged it through Affinity for a comparison. My gosh: The difference is astonishing! The Snapseed photo output looks like a thick piece of cheap clear vinyl was dragged over the image, the Affinity output is crystal clear and PRESENT in every way; it pops!

Affinity Photo isn't that expensive and seems to have 95% of what Photoshop CS5 has in it. It runs superbly on the iPad Pro 9.7". Guess what I'll be taking some time to learn more thoroughly now...?

Onwards!
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: iPad image processing: Affinity Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm on travel now and my iPad Pro 9.7 is doing service as my "do it all" carry computer very nicely.

That said: I found myself dissatisfied with the results out of the latest Snapseed, which now processes raw files but I hadn't used for that purpose. My Leica CL images seemed to lack the sparkle I saw on screen when rendering them. Well, I've had Affinity Photo on the iPad for some time but hadn't used it. I took on particularly critical example (it's nothing without snap and pop in the sharpness) and quickly dragged it through Affinity for a comparison. My gosh: The difference is astonishing! The Snapseed photo output looks like a thick piece of cheap clear vinyl was dragged over the image, the Affinity output is crystal clear and PRESENT in every way; it pops!

Affinity Photo isn't that expensive and seems to have 95% of what Photoshop CS5 has in it. It runs superbly on the iPad Pro 9.7". Guess what I'll be taking some time to learn more thoroughly now...?

Onwards!
    G
    That was interesting. I've used Affinity now and then on the Mac with good results, but didn't know that it was available for iPad. I have to check if there's an Android version then

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: iPad image processing: Affinity Photo

I found out what the SnapSeed problem was: somehow, the defaults had been re-set to 1600 pixels maximum length on Export. The downsizing algorithm was losing most of the image quality. I returned the settings to "original size" and now its processing is back up to snuff.

Meanwhile I've gotten a lot friendlier with Affinity Photo. Like Photoshop, it has a ton of features that I'll never use, and is more complicated than I'd prefer, but I have to give it a thumbs up for quality of output. Very nice raw conversion, sharpening, etc. A well done, full featured image processing app.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post