The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF X sepia emulation and Lightroom

pesto

I have just recently begun experimenting with some of the emulation capabilities of the GF X. The images look good on the LCD but when I try to open them in either C1 ( after DNG conversion and EXIF adjustments) or Lightroom the effect is absent and I am left with a standard color image. The images do open in sepia the Lightroom Catalog section but revert to the embeded Provia profile once they are moved into the Develop section. Are others having this problem and are there any solutions? I can not believe that Fuji went to the trouble to develop these emulations solely for users to see on the cameras LCD.

Knorp

I wonder if the emulations are really 'processed' into and becoming part of the RAW image.
I'd expect them to become effective only to the in-camera generated JPEG images.
But hey - I could be wrong ...

pesto

I wonder what would be the point of that? It strikes me as a useless feature if we can not either archive the images or print them as is now the situation.

Douglas.

Knorp

I wonder what would be the point of that? It strikes me as a useless feature if we can not either archive the images or print them as is now the situation.

Douglas.
Hi there Douglas,

well I can only speak from experience with other brands.
Let's hope another GFX owner steps in and will enlighten us.
But there's no word in the manual ?

Krgds.

M

mjr

Any emulations or effects are only applied to the jpegs, if you're shooting raw then the image will remain as a raw. If you're using lightroom then use the profile section to pick the sepia profile. If you shoot both raw and jpeg, then the jpeg should reflect the style you chose in camera. This is my understanding anyway, I never use jpegs or simulations personally but that's the way it should work.

Mat

pesto

My thanks to all who have responded here. So far I have not been able to recover a printable or archivable image but will work with this a bit more and if I come up with anything useful will post it here.

Douglas

Rand47

Look into LR’s split toning panel. There are even LR presets for various tones, including sepia. BUT, I much prefer using split toning and leaving the upper highlights “untoned.” (Highlights’ hue & sat sliders both at zero). This method is camera agnostic, of course. I’m currently using this technique with some of my GFX images.

I then tone from the upper mids to the shadows. One of my favorite combos produces a dark cocoa type tone of varying depth/intensity. And using the balance slider allows you to select how much into the upper tones your toning penetrates.

In these examples you’ll see different recipes and intensities of my take on toning:

Of course, if you really liked and wanted the “chewing tobacco yellow” tone of traditional sepia, you can do that quite easily as well using split toning - without having the highlights also looking jaundiced.

Let me add that if you “only” want Fuji’s sepia emulation, you can get to Adobe’s version of it in “Camera Faithful” profiles in the develop module. As mentioned previously, the in-camera film simulations on all Fuji cameras are quite good, but are jpeg only. Adobe’s take on Fuji’s film sims are actually quite good, however, and are all accessible via the camera profiles in the develop module.

Rand

Last edited: