The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

macOS Mojave: is it safe ?

archiM44

I always wait a long time before updating a new OS, at least until I can't find any more disaster stories on the web.

Leigh

How to Install & Run macOS Mojave Beta...
Does anybody here know what a Beta software release is?

It's a pre-production version that hopefully does what it's supposed to do.
It's been tested sort of, far enough to know that it should not crash.
The operative words being should not.

- Leigh

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I think that we are all aware of what a beta release is ... and that it is not the current Mac OS Mojave.
Multiple betas have been released tested ... the Golden Master release was tested and now we have
the first release of Mac OS 10.14 So we are past the beta stage.

Even stable general releases can crash ... less so these days but still possible.

While not perfect ... I have seen and endured worse.

All the Adobe Blackmagic Resolve Studio 15 and major software products conform and run well ... all 32 bit programs are gone ...
and a few glitches will need to be sorted ... like Apple pushing Metal and deprecating OpenGL.

If you have current Mac hardware should be good ... but if like me you are trying to support a powerful
but old MacPro 5.1, with Nvidia GPU ... which trounces all of the current Mac offerings ... you may have a
bit of discomfort until new drivers will work with the buggy Metal implementation that Apple condigns appropriate
for their OS.

Roon VLC CuteClips3 need upgrades and my Dell 5K looks like an early VGA monitor until Nvidia can sort the changes in the
non Beta OS.

Nothing critical is missing and I am able to work without major constraint.

So safe ... yes ... but make a complete backup prior to the upgrade and pay attention to all of the stuff Apple says
you need to do to upgrade. So if something is not to your liking you can roll back to the old system.

I was pleasantly surprised to find my 8 year old MacPro cheese grater is able to run Mojave. Trying to hold out for the ... now 2019 new MacPro. If only it is released by 2020.

Truth is if you wait for the third update to this OS you will still have to sort the smaller software compatibility issues ...

k-hawinkler

Does anybody here know what a Beta software release is?

It's a pre-production version that hopefully does what it's supposed to do.
It's been tested sort of, far enough to know that it should not crash.
The operative words being should not.

- Leigh
If you substitute macOS Mojave Beta with macOS Mojave the article shows you how to get that working in emulation. :facesmack: :LOL:

Knorp

Since I've nothing to lose, not anything too serious anyway (and being a bit reckless by nature), I've jumped (of course).
And so far so good even with Capture One Pro 11.3 ... :rolleyes:

As for you guys: just wait a little longer ... :angel:
Well, apparently you really need to wait a little longer ... :rolleyes:

Screenshot 2018-10-05 at 21.40.24.jpg

Screenshot 2018-10-05 at 21.39.47.jpg

Just saying ...:lecture:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been using Mojave for a few days now, and everything seems to work well. I like the dark mode too.

In connection with this installation, I've experienced something very interesting:
Since my email account had been hacked and I had a serious virus problem, I wanted to do a "clean installation". Apple doesn't offer that option anymore, which is a pitty. In addition to the virus problem, I also thought my battery was dying after 4 years of heavy use. Sometimes it didn't last longer than an hour. However, after the clean install it lasts for 3-4 hours. Clearly not like new, but dramatically better then before. Apparently, many interesting leftovers were crawling around at the bottom of my computer, eating processing capacity and battery life. Another effect is that the computer doesn't get as warm as it used to.

The clean install requires some use of Terminal, and I felt a bit like living in the old MS-DOS days, but it was rather straightforward, and the instructions I found online were very detailed and clear:

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/clean-install-macos-10-14-mojave/

scho

Any problems with printing and/or color management using Lightroom and Epson printers under Mojave?

scho

Any problems with printing and/or color management using Lightroom and Epson printers under Mojave?
I did a CarbonCopy clone to an external drive and then installed Mojave on my computer. No problems and so far all working well, including printing and CM from Lightroom.

docmoore

I did a CarbonCopy clone to an external drive and then installed Mojave on my computer. No problems and so far all working well, including printing and CM from Lightroom.
I lost a bunch of stuff ... but revert to my CCC to run them until they are viable with Mojave.

And I run Mojave 85% of the time ... just waiting for a few updates to drivers.

Otherwise very stable.

Bob

Godfrey

I always have a bootable hard drive with the previous OS version on it available so as to be sure to be able to get everything working if a new upgrade breaks things. I don't bother with a clone ... all my important data is backed up anyway on external drives, why waste the time to make it?

---

Anyway, I installed macOS Mojave v10.14 yesterday. I've been exercising LR 6.14, Flare 2, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Mail, etc. The only app that raised any issues is TextWrangler, so far ... and it was supposed to not work with High Sierra either. It did anyway.

Photoshop CS5.1 wants me to reinstall the Java engine again ... I'll probably not, dump it and just use Affinity Photo instead at this point. I almost never touch Photoshop CS anymore, and Affinity Photo does as good if not better at what I used PS CS for now.

Now to figure out what use all the "new features" in Mojave are. :D

G

docmoore

So I gave up waiting for Nvidia to get an updated driver for Mojave.

Dropped a AMD Vega 56 into the CheeseGrater and all of my problems solved ... and I now have true 5K in 10Bit on my Dell 2715.
Had no idea how much better photo and video editing could be. Have to switch to 4K for regular work as the fonts are too small to read in 5K.
But that takes about 5 seconds.

All the irregularities in the system were due to the poor driver for the Nvidia card.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For once I actually said yes to to the tour aorund the new features that kept poping up at the top of the scren every day (you know the offer that you postpone until the next day for several weeks until you finally cancel it) (Yes, I also eat quiche. :ROTFL: ).

The new feature set is rather impressive and most is very good for productivity.