The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

macOS Mojave: is it safe ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So I gave up waiting for Nvidia to get an updated driver for Mojave.

Dropped a AMD Vega 56 into the CheeseGrater and all of my problems solved ... and I now have true 5K in 10Bit on my Dell 2715.
Had no idea how much better photo and video editing could be. Have to switch to 4K for regular work as the fonts are too small to read in 5K.
But that takes about 5 seconds.

All the irregularities in the system were due to the poor driver for the Nvidia card.
I just read that CheeseGraters with Metal enabled graphics cards are able to run Mojave. May that have been a part of the problem you had?

I'm in a dilemma here. My home Mac is a Pro 4,1 that runs High Sierra with Sierra Patcher, but there's probably no way to make it run Mojave, so I consider buying a higher specified 5,1 and install Mojave, but how do I know if the one I buy, second hand obviously, comes with Metal? Until now, "metal" to me was the stuff our magic welders at the workshop make impressive, big machines from :facesmack:

No, I'm not buying an Astray. The beauty of the CheeseGrater is its solid build, beautiful design, ability to carry 4 large HDDs (and yes, I still play DVDs), changing stuff without the toolbox of a Formula 1 team while possessing fingers as thin as pencils, as long as flag poles and with the flexibility of a Gorilla Pod etc. etc. It's the Grand Piano of Macs.

Edit:
1. There's already a Mojave Patcher available that will work with my 4,1:
macOS Mojave Patcher

2. At least two graphics cards that are Metal compatible will run with the 4,1:

- AMD Sapphire HD 9750 for Mac
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Editition

Any of them will be a dramatic upgrade from the GeForce GT 120 that is currently installed, and obviously much cheaper than a 5,1 (that sells at Ashtray prices nowadays), so the upgrade path is pretty much set.

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here is the listing from Apple for compatible boards:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...le-reveals-boot-camp-support-limited-for-imac

My board was metal compatible, flashed with Apple ROM but without an advanced driver and CUDA support from Nvidia it was crippled. Could work but
only with no advanced functions. It was a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti with 11 MB memory.

I have GTX 1080 Ti, Titan Black and a GTX 680 ... all with Apple ROM, and all sitting on the shelf in a closet. However every time that Apple released
an update to OS X you were in need of an updated driver from Nvidia. Usually they came in a couple of days. Now that Apple has dropped CUDA
and deprecated Open GL Nvidia has to do a lot of work to bring a working driver for Mojave.

Most any of the AMD boards ... through the Vega 64 have deep Apple support in the OS so they run as if you have a new Mac. The 64 has a few issues with
fan speed ... which is why I went with the Vega 56 with 11Mb memory. It is much slower than the GTX 1080 Ti but runs so much better than a patched on driver
that I am pleased with the compromise.

I do think that the 5.1 form factor is ideal ... room for 6 drives, 4 PCIe slots, adequate memory slots. It was such a clean well designed tower ... could work today
with TB3 USB 3.1 and updated memory support. I hope that the coming MacPro in 2019 will not be crippled and will allow one to configure it and sustain it down the road.
Perhaps Apple's biggest liability is pushing svelte form over function ... and underestimating the effects of thermal throttling.

I have done the PC thing ... for years and would prefer to stay with Mac OS for everything ... just wish they would take their hardware back to a stronger spec.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks. I finally found the same text on Apple's own page:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

I'm totally with you on the 5,1. I never needed a small computer for my work room, but I do need space inside my work computer. The fact that it's called a "desktop computer" doesn't mean that it has to stand on top of the desk. Can somebody please tell Apple?