The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 12 SLOOOOWWWWWW

tashley

Subscriber Member
One eternal feature of these forums is that the majority view is, to put it bluntly, that somehow LR is for enthusiasts but C1 is for pros.

I have always hated C1 - I make no bones about that - and my general workflow has been to only ever use it if the raw file can’t be opened in LR, or if I am using a Phase back. I admit that for creating and applying LCCs and technical camera lens profiles it has LR beat. But for the rest, well, its interface sucks and it’s cataloging is pitiful and and and...

So I recently upgraded to an IQ4150 and suddenly I am having to use C1 more often. C1 12 is required for correctly dealing with the files and a license for the full version came with the back so I installed it on my late 2013 Trash can Mac Pro (1tb SSD, 64gig RAM) and on my touch bar retina 15” MacBook Pro, also 1tb SSD and 32gig RAM.

On the Mac Pro it is almost unusable. Applying brushes or other adjustments such as linear grads in layers causes it to spin the wheels for many minutes while it works out if it is supposed to be showing you the mask or the result of the layer action. So much so that I moved my catalog from an external HD to the SSD to see if that improved matters, which it does not. Then I tried to make the same edits on the same file on the MacBook Pro and, whilst a bit sluggish, the result was useable at least.

So is there something I can do? I promise you this: importing an 800mb TIF of the same file onto my iPad Pro and using the adjustments brush in LRCC is WAY, way way way faster to render than on C1 on either of my macs - and the same is true of LR classic and CC on the macs.

So is there some hidden setting to get C1 to behave acceptably?

All suggestions gratefully received....

Knorp

Sorry I don't know about hidden settings, but I'm sure you checked if C1's hardware acceleration is enabled ?

Screenshot 2019-01-27 at 20.30.58.png

tashley

Subscriber Member
You should find them under 'General'.
Oddly, I looked for precisely this earlier and missed it but as it turns out, it was already set to auto. However, after an OS update, on restarting C1 I got a progress bar saying ‘setting up hardware acceleration’ and after a couple minutes it finished and after that, my brushes in adjustment layers were a lot faster.

Weird!!!

tashley

Subscriber Member
OS mojave doesn't support nvidia...something to keep in mind
Thanks - mine has AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB but I can't move from High Sierra to Mojave because I stupidly installed an OWC 1TB SSD to replace the 256 Apple one that came pre-installed, and OWC (from whom I will never ever purchase again) are rather opaque about when if ever it will be possible to install Mojave on it as a boot drive. To quote them:

'The machine identifies the drive as an external drive. This is because the SSD controllers are sitting behind a Marvell RAID controller. Unfortunately, this was the only way we could design this drive when it was released.'

So that's that then. I must say that I don't remember them highlighting that particular detail when I shelled out for it!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Sadly that doesn’t work on a Mac Pro.

What does work is moving back to the original apple SSD and upgrading to Mojave on it, then doing a restore on the OWC SSD from the Apple SSD. But that is not an upgrade to Mojave, it’s a clean install of Mojave on the OWC and that leaves you needing to reinstall everything else, which, frankly, is a nightmare and almost certain to mean losing something important.

Not worth the effort.

The OWC drives come with hidden issues which I personally will be steering well clear of in future.

This was my email to a third party that OWC trust, and at the end in italics is the OWC response:

A quick note about OWC SSDs: I installed one in my MacPro trashcan (2013) because the 256 gb SSD it shipped with quickly became too small. A 1TB OWC fit the bill and even though it failed after approximately a couple of years, I had full backups and they replaced it so all was good.

However, as time goes on it becomes clear to me that however good their intentions, they cannot really offer a viable long term solution because they can’t control whether their drives are future proofed to the same extent that Apple drives are. I had problem a while back when my system wouldn’t allow me to upgrade to what was then the latest OS version because the SSD didn’t behave like the Apple one. There was a fix (swap the as-shipped Apple SSD back in to the machine, run the OS update, then swap the Aura back in, rinse and repeat - something to do with a FW update that was required IIRC).

Now I cannot move from High Sierra to Mojave because the Aura is seen as an external drive. The update requires the drive to have AFPS but the updater cannot apply that change of file system to the Aura whilst doing the upgrade of OS. The only option so far seems to be to swap the Apple SSD back in, upgrade the OS on it, swap it back out and boot from it in an external enclosure and then use it to do a RESTORE on the Aura.

That’s fine but it wipes the Aura - which means this isn’t a way of upgrading your system to Mojave, it’s affectively a clean install, leaving a massively complex task ahead to get back to having all your data and apps etc on the new OS.

I know this isn’t OWC’s fault as such, but its the second time I’ve had to spend a weekend messing around trying to sort out the long term implications of the fact that whatever their marketing implies, a OWC SSD is absolutely NOT a full alternative to an Apple one. It’s a “this will work really well for now” option, and a long term cause of serious issues.

From OWC:

Unfortunately, the only work around for this issue is what the customer outlines below. The big issue here is what the customer mentioned. The machine identifies the drive as an external drive. This is because the SSD controllers are sitting behind a Marvell RAID controller. Unfortunately, this was the only way we could design this drive when it was released. Future forward, our designs will all be native PCIe solutions and will not encounter this issue.