The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

JPEG or RAW only import on iDevices

Photon42

What is your favorite way of just importing one file type to an iPad, if the camera is setup to store JPEG and RAW at the same time and only has one card slot (sigh ...)?

Use case: sometimes I like to preview shots, do some triage, add comments and send one or the other, but not necessarily high quality. There is a Lightroom plug-in which propagates settings of one file type to the other. Thus, when home, the JPEGs sync through the cloud including flags and comments and the RAWs get imported into the Mac. Then, I copy some metadata settings over from JPEG to RAW using the plugin.

Godfrey

What is your favorite way of just importing one file type to an iPad, if the camera is setup to store JPEG and RAW at the same time and only has one card slot (sigh ...)?

Use case: sometimes I like to preview shots, do some triage, add comments and send one or the other, but not necessarily high quality. There is a Lightroom plug-in which propagates settings of one file type to the other. Thus, when home, the JPEGs sync through the cloud including flags and comments and the RAWs get imported into the Mac. Then, I copy some metadata settings over from JPEG to RAW using the plugin.
If you capture paired JPEG+raw, there's no way to transfer just the raw to the iOS device unless you use a dedicated 'to your camera' app that supports that capability. The SD reader dongle and Photos will always move both. Think the same is true for LRM but I don't use it.

G

KarmaProctor

For me, importing only JPEG or RAW on my iPad depends on the mood of the day. Loving the Lightroom plug-in trick for syncing settings and comments – makes life easier. By the way, anyone found a slick way to compress JPEGs on the go? Share your tips!

Last edited: