The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Evil Adobe

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Old as well as new pricing are available here. I can't see why I would pay twice as much for extra cloud storage. What I fear is that the cheap alternative will eventually disappear. Adobe's previous practices leave little room for optimism.

Don Libby

I really can't see this as "Evil". Adobe provides me with an excellent product that I choose to use in my professional business much the same as C1-Pro. I've made a heck of a lot more money than what I've been charged. Same as with my past and present camera systems. I don't give my work away for free and I don't expect my suppliers to either.

pegelli

Agree it's not "evil", it's a business decision as any other and you can choose to remain or leave after this 100% price hike (which gives a minor functionality upgrade).

For me the main reason to not step in the program in the first place is the "end play" when you stop your CC subscription.

If Adobe would allow you to continue using the Lightroom develop module but stopped the import functionality I'd probably get in the CC program. But the current "end play" disabling the develop module I find unattractive, so for the time being LR 6.14 will do.

Robert Campbell

Agree it's not "evil", it's a business decision as any other and you can choose to remain or leave after this 100% price hike (which gives a minor functionality upgrade).

For me the main reason to not step in the program in the first place is the "end play" when you stop your CC subscription.

If Adobe would allow you to continue using the Lightroom develop module but stopped the import functionality I'd probably get in the CC program. But the current "end play" disabling the develop module I find unattractive, so for the time being LR 6.14 will do.
I tried to get LR 6.14 recently. It seems to have been discontinued in February, and is no longer available.

archiM44

I really can't see this as "Evil". Adobe provides me with an excellent product that I choose to use in my professional business much the same as C1-Pro. I've made a heck of a lot more money than what I've been charged. Same as with my past and present camera systems. I don't give my work away for free and I don't expect my suppliers to either.
I agree wholeheartedly with you
I have been using Photoshop and Lightroom each as soon as each came out.
Presently have the Photography subscription with the 20GB storage which has not been stopped.
In my view a great value with constant updates and improvements showing a large and constant investment in R&D
I can not understand the constant Adobe Bashing in this forum.
I alo have Capture One Pro 12, also for many years, but would want to point out their major upgrades are not cheap at all.

pegelli

I tried to get LR 6.14 recently. It seems to have been discontinued in February, and is no longer available.
Maybe you can find a second-hand licence somewhere if you really want one.

I can also understand why they stopped selling it, first because the maps module in 6.14 doesn't work anymore from mid 2018 that and selling partly disfunctional products doesn't look too good for a company. So I was really surprised it stayed still for sale so long. Secondly, they're trying to move everybody to the subscription model, so selling older/perpetual license versions is not in their interest.

Godfrey

Maybe you can find a second-hand licence somewhere if you really want one.

I can also understand why they stopped selling it, first because the maps module in 6.14 doesn't work anymore from mid 2018 that and selling partly disfunctional products doesn't look too good for a company. So I was really surprised it stayed still for sale so long. Secondly, they're trying to move everybody to the subscription model, so selling older/perpetual license versions is not in their interest.
I agree with Don Libby ... Adobe is just a software provider trying to make a buck. They make their business and pricing decisions, I decide whether they're worth it for my use. Calling them Evil is a bit of heavy handed silliness, an emotional response to something that should be evaluated objectively for costs and benefits..

Regards LR: LR 6.14 raises the "not optimized for Mojave" flag on macOS Mojave every week, the Maps module is permanently dead due to a change in the back-end SPI ... and Adobe has publicly and frequently stated that it is no longer putting any development into the perpetual license version. I would suggest to anyone (on macOS at least) not interested in LR CC to look for other software at this point; it's certainly foolish to buy LR 6.14 and start depending upon it now.

I'm using LR 6.14 now and find many minor glitches popping up. Not enough to stop just yet, but I know the writing is on the wall. I'm not particularly comfortable getting into the Adobe CC universe because my use nowadays does not make that the optimal cost/benefit choice.

On my systems now are RAW Power, Luminar, On1, and Affinity Photo for evaluation. I have no interest in Capture One ... I've tested that in the past and simply cannot get past the user interface design. So far, RAW Power used with Photos to handle the DAM side of things is looking pretty good as an LR replacement and runs on both my macOS and iOS devices. Affinity Photo also runs on both OSes and seems a decent Photoshop replacement for the little I actually need Photoshop for these days. On1 and Luminar look like excellent macOS apps that do all of what LR does.. or at least all of what I use in LR.

So there are plenty of options if you consider Adobe to be Evil. As my father used to say, "Pick your poison and pay the Piper." :D

G

Calling them Evil is a bit of heavy handed silliness, an emotional response to something that should be evaluated objectively for costs and benefits.
Exactly. Do a rational cost/benefit analysis and make a decision. By the way, Capture One 12 is $299 or $20/month, unless you opt for the Fuji or Sony limited versions, which are on sale now for $109 or $8/month (for 12 months). Among the non-subscription software, Affinity Photo is $49, Luminar is $70, and DxO PhotoLab is $129. Something for everybody. I have a lot of time invested in learning LR/PS, so while I would prefer not to pay a higher monthly rate, I also would prefer not to have to learn new software programs. Part of the decision making process involves valuing your time.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Why is it that we always have people that berate and belittle companies yet never follow through with their posts?

MrSmith

After the first 10 minutes of retouch work it’s then paid for itself for the rest of the month.
My only gripe with Adobe is the poor efficiency and buggy nature of some tools.
You would think they could spend some of their profits on sorting that out instead of fancy new features.

JohnBrew

My problems with Adobe are well documented here. Eventually Adobe will force everyone into the cloud where your images will be held hostage.
I am still subscribed under the “old” program, but am forced to use PS 2017 on my PC because it’s too old to use Windows 10. I wonder how long PS 2017 will be supported? And since I dislike the new Bridge I am forced to use the old one on my Mac. Ditto about the old Bridge.
I am trying to use Luminar 3 as a replacement, but they still have a few problems to work out.