Site Sponsors

Thread: Next Apple machine ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Next Apple machine ?

I have a 2013 Mac Pro that works very well with Phase One IQ3100 and Sony A7Riii files. I also have a MBP13 which I use when travelling and a Mac Mini which works fine as a print server.

The new Mac Pro announced yesterday seems to be targeted at high end video and will cost $$$.

One day I will need to upgrade the current Mac Pro but that is TB2 and the world is moving on. Iím also not sure it makes sense to replace like with like. I wonít move from MacOs so Windows is not an option.

Am I the only person who thinks there is a gap emerging in the market for high end stills photographers ? Iím not in a hurry but I feel like we are entering something of a cup de sac.
    Miles Flint
    http://www.milesflint.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Next Apple machine ?

Honestly, the gap is there only if your fixed on Mac. There is no gap on windows. You can build or buy great workstations for 1k and 10k. Your as flexible as you need to be.

This will never happen with Apple. The new pro is amazing, but honestly you can get nearly 90% of its performance with a 1,5k windows pc...
    Christopher Hauser
    My iPhone / iPad Apps
    http://www.hauser-photoart.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MILESF View Post
    I have a 2013 Mac Pro that works very well with Phase One IQ3100 and Sony A7Riii files. I also have a MBP13 which I use when travelling and a Mac Mini which works fine as a print server.

The new Mac Pro announced yesterday seems to be targeted at high end video and will cost $$$.

One day I will need to upgrade the current Mac Pro but that is TB2 and the world is moving on. Iím also not sure it makes sense to replace like with like. I wonít move from MacOs so Windows is not an option.

Am I the only person who thinks there is a gap emerging in the market for high end stills photographers ? Iím not in a hurry but I feel like we are entering something of a cup de sac.
    I think for photography the base iMac makes a lot of sense but so does one of the new Mac Miniís with an eGPU. Thereís also the iMac Pro but Iíd wait u til they update it to allow user installable RAM. Iím in your same position where Iíd like a new Mac Pro but I donít know that I can justify the price personally. Windows isnít an option for me either... I use them at the day job but I hate using Windows personally... also I donít use Adobe and canít see myself ever going back to them.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The top of the line current Mac mini is more than enough for my needs. Six-core 3.2Ghz i7 cpu, USB-C, TB3, able to run multiple large monitors, 64G RAM, 1TB in it, etc etc, and about $3k or so.

A far cry faster and more capable than my current 2012 Mac mini, which is still soldiering along nicely if not particularly speedily by current standards. I plan to update this year.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 3 Weeks Ago at 14:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Who is going to buy the entry level MacPro with a 256GB SSD? So the $5999 price is disingenuous. I wonder if you have to use a special Apple SSD to upgrade with the T2 security chip. And with eight PCIe slots, are the cards going to be proprietary Apple cards?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Who is going to buy the entry level MacPro with a 256GB SSD? So the $5999 price is disingenuous.
    Some might for the ability to upgrade down the line. I probably wouldn’t myself but I can see the appeal to some. You can always add internal drives or a RAID array since the computer would likely remain stationary.

No special slots needed and Apple mentions that companies can even make their own modules to be used in this computer. I believe a standard card and drive will work.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The top of the line current Mac mini is more than enough for my needs. Six-core 3.2Thz i7 cpu, USB-C, TB3, able to run multiple large monitors, 64G RAM, 1TB in it, etc etc, and about $3k or so.

A far cry faster and more capable than my current 2012 Mac mini, which is still soldiering along nicely if not particularly speedily by current standards. I plan to update this year.

G
    This seems to target hardcore video creators and studio houses... maybe even high-end photographers too. Probably isnít the system for the average user at home. The iMac with and i9 or the iMac Pro seem to be better choices for the average ďone man bandĒ system... or even the newer Mac Mini if you prefer the smaller size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems the world is waiting for the T4 chip for the macbook pro if your a photographer on the go the Macbook pro is going to be the ultimate ticket. Mac Pro might do photographer justice but at a huge cost. I really wish Apple didn't ignore the Macbook issues and hope that the company is going to surprise us with a solid platform.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    This seems to target hardcore video creators and studio houses... maybe even high-end photographers too. Probably isnít the system for the average user at home. The iMac with and i9 or the iMac Pro seem to be better choices for the average ďone man bandĒ system... or even the newer Mac Mini if you prefer the smaller size.
    I don't know... My brother uses one for his recording studio business, my freelance photographer friend uses one for his assignment work, another friend uses one to browse the web, do email, and look at videos (just like the other two do as well). $3K for a fully stuffed Mac mini is not overly expensive for many/most people who want to upgrade to a higher end system and already have most of the peripherals/displays/etc that they would otherwise buy if they bought an iMac.

When I buy one, I'll get the cpu unit and all the adapters to connect my TB1/TB2, FW, and USB things to its USB-C ports, including my displays, wired keyboard and pointing devices, external storage, printers/scanners, and all that. Done, that's all I need.

G

Post Thanks / Like

The new Mac Pro is priced for 150 megapixel Phase One owners. If you can afford the camera, you can afford the new Mac Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a critical review of the computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Z4mM3wofw

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 for the Mini. It's become a very powerful machine, and it's portable if needed.

I have done something that I didn't expect myself to do: I've bought a MacBook 12". My 5 year old MacBook Pro is litterally falling apart, so needed replacing. For travel, I only do light photo editing and no video editing, and it's powerful enough for that, and much lighter/smaller than any Pro. Since a new Pro needs dongels and adapters anyway, I found that a single 9-port adapter for the 12" will do the job just fine, so now I have a tiny computer with USB 3, HDMI, VGA, gigabit LAN, SD reader and Micro SD reader. I bought it factory refurbished with original Apple seals all over from MacSales, $899 with 512GB SSD, i5 1.3 GHz and 8 GB RAM.

If you can't beat them...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Here is a critical review of the computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Z4mM3wofw
    Haven't watched it through yet, but the reviewer seems a little, uh, breathless... LOL!

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new Mac Pro is priced for 150 megapixel Phase One owners. If you can afford the camera, you can afford the new Mac Pro
    so far I still use my 2013 Mac Pro 8 core with OWC 2TB Aura and 64GB RAM which can now go up to 128GB RAM if needed. No beach balls with IQ4150 files and plenty of PS/C1 giving 4+GB file sizes pre-flattening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bit the bullet last fall and replaced my 2013 Mac Pro with an iMac Pro (64GB, 2TB, 27" 5K display). Connected to a CalDigit hub, I've got both legacy ports and USB-C ports available. Quite a reduction in desktop clutter and cables. The new Mac Pro is clearly not targeted at me (pricey even in the base configuration, especially requiring a separate monitor and stand if you choose the new Apple 32" monitor) although a modular design has its advantages. I loved my modular Mac Pros, tolerated the black "trash can" design, and now like the iMac Pro as my "daily driver". It scores 36,940 on Geekbench.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know... My brother uses one for his recording studio business, my freelance photographer friend uses one for his assignment work, another friend uses one to browse the web, do email, and look at videos (just like the other two do as well). $3K for a fully stuffed Mac mini is not overly expensive for many/most people who want to upgrade to a higher end system and already have most of the peripherals/displays/etc that they would otherwise buy if they bought an iMac.

When I buy one, I'll get the cpu unit and all the adapters to connect my TB1/TB2, FW, and USB things to its USB-C ports, including my displays, wired keyboard and pointing devices, external storage, printers/scanners, and all that. Done, that's all I need.

G
    I don't doubt it works for everyone you mentioned. Personally, I donít swap computers often and I lean towards the option of future proofing. I donít prefer all-in-one solutions but itís hard to argue against the newest iMac with the i9 in it that slightly outperforms the mid level iMac Pro in many tests until you get into heavily graphic reliant video applications/RAW video. The Mac Mini is a option Iíve considered but itís not what I really want for my needs.

I donít wonder if it would be smart for Apple to consider having a lower priced modular desktop option between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro maybe based on the AMD chipsets since they seem to have fewer issues than many of the newest Intel developed chipsets. Also the Ryzen 3 and Navi based chipsets are very competitively priced which could give Apple a non-Pro Mac in the $1500-3000 base price range. Even if they maxed out to around 512GB of RAM (instead of 1.5TB) and only allowed dual GPUís (versus 4 GPUís), Dual internal HDD expansion (versus 4 HDD), plus the option for the Apple Afterburner... that would be an excellent option for the small business or average content creator with no desire for a Windows machine. Hell while weíre at it we could use an updated 26Ē Pro XDR display limited to 4K resolution for around $2,000-2,500 with the stands included.

Just thinking out aloud.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always fun to consider what could be useful. But I've found over time that Apple generally makes the right decisions that give me good options for my needs, and I'd rather be thinking creatively about the photography than about what kind of system I might consider to do it.

Apple's managed to make a successful business and a decent amount of profit with their offerings, so who am I to think my ideas might do better?

G

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't watched it through yet, but the reviewer seems a little, uh, breathless... LOL!

G
    I used to see the guy (Max) as a writer on Apple Insider. Apparently he has gone solo with YouTube

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always fun to consider what could be useful. But I've found over time that Apple generally makes the right decisions that give me good options for my needs, and I'd rather be thinking creatively about the photography than about what kind of system I might consider to do it.

Apple's managed to make a successful business and a decent amount of profit with their offerings, so who am I to think my ideas might do better?

G
    Who are you to think you can decide whatís best for you? Iíd assume an informed consumer... you probably know whatís best for you better than Apple, Microsoft, etc.

Thatís different from saying that any of them can provide a suitable solution but even a suitable solution can be a compromise - even though it may work for you. I do believe there are plenty of smart people on here that can effectively speak to their desires. That was the point of my ďwish list.Ē

The other elephant in the room is the development of iPad OS further differentiating itself from iOS. In some ways this was a bigger announcement than the Mac Pro announcements asi could see Apple using this as a true bridge in eliminating the MacBook and MacBook Air lines while maintaining the MacBook Pro line for working on more intensive applications on the go. Apple opening up the file system to iPad OS, creating a bridge with MacOS apps, and opening up native external storage solutions without fancy workarounds is a huge thing IMO. Iíll probably forego purchasing another MacBook Pro this year for mobile computing, add the newest iPad Pro later this year, and add a desktop solution for heavy editing. Iíll keep my same old MacBook Pro for my school work (yes back in school again for me) but iPad will take over mobile and desktop will be relied upon for heavy lifting... once I decide which way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

iPads? No thanks I hate them

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

...and that’s fine.

Everyone has different needs/desires. The app ecosystem is growing and maturing in iOS/iPad OS. Apps like Lumafusion, Affinity Photo/Designer, and the Adobe apps are desktop class apps for mobile computing. They work well and will get even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Still working on the "....something of a cup de sac"

Did you mean "cul de sac"

sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seanconnery View Post
    Still working on the "....something of a cup de sac"

Did you mean "cul de sac"

sean
    Yes. One day Iíll write a paragraph without a typo. Well spotted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My question was really about the longer term and I donít need to make any decision in the near future. That said the new Mac Mini would probably be the best option right now. Itís runs very quiet, itís surprisingly powerful (to me at least). TB3 and the 10gigabit Ethernet option probably future proofs it somewhat also.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougdolde View Post
    ipads? No thanks i hate them
    lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Strange. My six year old daughter loves them

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest issue with the new Mac Pro is you dont get much performance
    at the entry price. The graphics card is poor and the SSD quite small , and of course who wants a paltry 32 GB or ram?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The biggest issue with the new Mac Pro is you dont get much performance
    at the entry price. The graphics card is poor and the SSD quite small , and of course who wants a paltry 32 GB or ram?
    The biggest issue for me is that it's more or less as expensive as a 12" MacBook which is also around the same size and weight but comes with a proper keyboard and a full macOS.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up waiting on Apple to upgrade their Mac Pro lineup. I still use a Macbook when I'm on the move, but my workstation is now a PC. The spec of 16 cores, 64GB ram, multiple SSDs, a graphics card the size of a small planet and the fact that it is easily upgradeable is hard to beat. Oh, and saving a few (actually, many) thousands of dollars gave me a nice, warm fuzzy feeling too.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried windows on the laptop front and disliked it enough to take a big loss and go back to Mac. I would love an upgrade to my Mac Pro eventually, but as Doug says, the problem is as much what you get for the price as the price itself. If it was just 6000 dollars and extremely powerful, I might be able to swallow it, but when it is 6000 dollars on top of a few thousand more for graphics cards and storage, it starts to go from the realm of frustrating to unworkable.

I do run a photo business on my Mac, and I need my big Eizo monitor for working with clients and proofing, so I do not want to give that up to switch to an iMac. I do not want a multiple monitor setup. Meanwhile, I do shoot 4k video and deal with a lot of huge film scans, so I can appreciate the extra speed and graphics power of the faster computers. I wonder is the most powerful Mac Mini better for video and photos than a Mac Pro 2013? If so, how much?

Are we at the point that a maxed out Macbook Pro connected to an external display and RAID arrays is faster than the Mac Pro 2013?

I am curious to hear from people who know about this stuff...I know the kind of performance I want, but I do not know the best way to get it with a non-iMac Mac these days...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart,

You might consider an external GPU. I have no experience there, but it may be enough video processing power at a much lower price than a well-equipped Mac Pro.

I do no video, so a Macbook Pro or 2015 iMac are quite powerful enough.

Matt
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Stuart,

You might consider an external GPU. I have no experience there, but it may be enough video processing power at a much lower price than a well-equipped Mac Pro.

I do no video, so a Macbook Pro or 2015 iMac are quite powerful enough.

Matt
    eGPUís are a great alternative though you lose some performance due to the TB3 throughout bottleneck. A Mac Mini will almost assuredly require an eGPU for video and thankfully it can support two of them through the TB3 ports. Technically there are 4 TB3 ports but only two controllers which support one eGPU each. Itís the most logical option right now if you donít want an iMac but the iMac probably packs a bit more performance though youíll lose the T2 chip in the non-Pro iMac which the Mac Mini does indeed have. If you donít use H.265/HEVC video then you may not see a difference though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Who are you to think you can decide whatís best for you? Iíd assume an informed consumer... you probably know whatís best for you better than Apple, Microsoft, etc. ...
    Um, I can say what works for me best, but I can't do what you're doing and say what would be best for Apple to produce.

Thatís different from saying that any of them can provide a suitable solution but even a suitable solution can be a compromise - even though it may work for you. ...
    ALL of these things are compromises in one way or another.

I agree that the further differentiation/development of iPad OS from iOS is a huge thing. Makes me even happier that I decided to buy an iPad Pro 11" last year and sell the MacBook Air 13" that was just sitting around... The iPad Pro 11" with current iOS is already doing the number as my 98% use system.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Um, I can say what works for me best, but I can't do what you're doing and say what would be best for Apple to produce.

ALL of these things are compromises in one way or another.

I agree that the further differentiation/development of iPad OS from iOS is a huge thing. Makes me even happier that I decided to buy an iPad Pro 11" last year and sell the MacBook Air 13" that was just sitting around... The iPad Pro 11" with current iOS is already doing the number as my 98% use system.

G
    Different points of view I guess and thatís fine but if I donít see my desires met I voice them. Itís still a ďfreeĒ world... for now.

What i wont do is express loyalty or congratulations to a product that doesnít fit my desires. Iím not accusing you of doing so but Iíve seen Apple struggle in the past with dictating to people what they SHOULD want prior to the iPod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Are we at the point that a maxed out Macbook Pro connected to an external display and RAID arrays is faster than the Mac Pro 2013?

I am curious to hear from people who know about this stuff...I know the kind of performance I want, but I do not know the best way to get it with a non-iMac Mac these days...
    The short answer is yes. Here are some real world Geekbench scores from my Macs:

A maxed out 8-core 2019 MacBook Pro comes respectably close to the performance of an iMac or iMac Pro and is much improved over the 2013 Mac Pro. Hope this helps.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joe. I have the late 2013 trashcan Mac Pro, depending primarily on the 6 Thunderbolt ports, 4 of them connected to converters and RAID enclosures from Firmtek. So, that gave me a reliable and high performance storage solution for the last decade, occasionally replacing eSATA hard drives with lighter capacity ones, currently utilizing 4 and 6 TB drives.

If replacing the 6 year old trashcan with a higher performance Mac computer, I would like to keep my storage setup, requiring a minimum of 4 Thunderbolt connections. What New Mac gear would support that? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good luck Apple - you are going to need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Joe. I have the late 2013 trashcan Mac Pro, depending primarily on the 6 Thunderbolt ports, 4 of them connected to converters and RAID enclosures from Firmtek. So, that gave me a reliable and high performance storage solution for the last decade, occasionally replacing eSATA hard drives with lighter capacity ones, currently utilizing 4 and 6 TB drives.

If replacing the 6 year old trashcan with a higher performance Mac computer, I would like to keep my storage setup, requiring a minimum of 4 Thunderbolt connections. What New Mac gear would support that? TIA.
    The newer Macs (iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro) have USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports. Your 2013 Mac Pro has Thunderbolt 2 ports. You'll need a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 "dongle" and/or a "hub" to get the connectivity you need. I swapped my drive enclosures to USB-C enclosures to avoid dongles, but it wasn't necessary given the availability of USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 dongles from Apple. BTW, I daisy chain the USB-C connections between drive enclosures. I also use a CalDigit dock/hub to add more ports and an SD card slot. One short cable from the computer to the dock/hub adds 15 additional ports of various kinds. Hope this helps.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    The newer Macs (iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro) have USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports. ...
    Mac mini too. That looks like quite the hub! At a slightly lower end price, however, there's the OWC 10-Port USB-C Dock and the OWC USB-C Travel Dock. These look a little more my speed for the Mac mini I'm planning to buy.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    The newer Macs (iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro) have USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports. Your 2013 Mac Pro has Thunderbolt 2 ports. You'll need a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 "dongle" and/or a "hub" to get the connectivity you need. I swapped my drive enclosures to USB-C enclosures to avoid dongles, but it wasn't necessary given the availability of USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 dongles from Apple. BTW, I daisy chain the USB-C connections between drive enclosures. I also use a CalDigit dock/hub to add more ports and an SD card slot. One short cable from the computer to the dock/hub adds 15 additional ports of various kinds. Hope this helps.

Joe
    Many thanks Joe for the excellent information, much appreciated.
    The CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock/hub seems to me what I would need.
    BTW which USB-C enclosures do you recommend for daisy chaining?
    I use 28 hard drives and 4 external SSDs, all in 4-way RAIDs.

Thanks again, Karl-Heinz
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:25.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder if those scales from Joe C are for default configurations direct from Apple.

If so then my OWC Aura Pro X2 has read/write around 1500+/1300+mb/s on a 2TB SSD. These things cost a bit over $600 now and sure gave my 2013 Mac Pro 8 core (64GB OWC RAM) enough extended life to sustain usage during IQ4150 file processing in C1 and PS where files sizes exceed 4GB without beach balls.

Guess I should try a geekbench test to get my numbers as configured above. Any hints in how to do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Many thanks Joe for the excellent information, much appreciated.
    The CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock/hub seems to me what I would need.
    BTW which USB-C enclosures do you recommend for daisy chaining?
    I use 28 hard drives and 4 external SSDs, all in 4-way RAIDs.

Thanks again, Karl-Heinz
    Karl-Heinz, I use two of these (link), each with four SSDs. They were available before OWC offered USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 enclosures for 2.5" SSDs. Now I think you can get something similar from OWC. I wanted quiet enclosures to complement the quiet I've been able to enjoy since the 2013 Mac Pro came on the scene. I put the enclosures in a back-ventilated printer cabinet beside my desk, so now there's no fan noise whatsoever. You can even turn off the fans on these enclosures but the manufacturer doesn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I wonder if those scales from Joe C are for default configurations direct from Apple.

If so then my OWC Aura Pro X2 has read/write around 1500+/1300+mb/s on a 2TB SSD. These things cost a bit over $600 now and sure gave my 2013 Mac Pro 8 core (64GB OWC RAM) enough extended life to sustain usage during IQ4150 file processing in C1 and PS where files sizes exceed 4GB without beach balls.

Guess I should try a geekbench test to get my numbers as configured above. Any hints in how to do that?
    Lou, no these are not default base Mac configurations. I usually try to get 5-6 years out of a Mac before upgrading. That likely drives Apple [email protected]#t crazy but it makes sense for me.

You can download the Geekbench app from geekbench.com and run the speed test without purchasing anything. You can then use their online score browser to compare your score with others. Some apps (C1 for example) take better advantage of the multi-core machines than other apps (Adobe LR for example), so these speed tests are only a rough gauge of how your configuration will perform in real life use.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Joe. Very interesting gear.
    I am also looking at these

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...derbolt_3.html

Each one would give 6 slots for storage, 1 slot for redundancy, and 1 slot free standby - if I understand that right. So 36 TB +.

I am in no hurry to upgrade, certainly will wait until the fall.
    Running Mac Pro (Late 2013) under macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3.
    However, my machine never finishes updating to a newer version.
    I probably have to take it to an Apple genius to figure that one out.

At the moment I am more interested in what Jim Kasson will do with his Fuji GFX 100 when he hets it.
    Also waiting for FW 6.0 for my Sony A9.

Again many thanks for your help Joe.

With kind regards, Karl-Heinz.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

OWC has some great upgrade deals for us Trash Can Mac Pro users.
    I can get a 2 TB SSD stick for $620 and they'll give me $120 for the old 1 TB stick so $500 net.

Similarly I can upgrade my 32 GB of ram to 64 GB for $120 by buying two more 16 GB sticks. Not sure if I really even need to do that though.

I just don't think the new Mac Pro is a good fit for any photographer. It's more suited for editing high rez video and doing rendering in 3D applications.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't think the new Mac Pro is a good fit for any photographer. It's more suited for editing high rez video and doing rendering in 3D applications.
    Yeah. $6000 for a computer with a 256GB SSD seems on the excessive side for photography. I'm sure some will rationalize it though. I guess if you have already splashed $50,000 for a IQ4150, what's another $10,000 or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post

Stuart,

barefeats.com will provide the answer. They test Macs and Mac accessories under different professional workloads (photo, video, audio, animation, etc).

There's tons of information on the site, but you can probably start here:

https://barefeats.com/macbook_pro_2018_geekbench.html

..and then move-on to articles that dig deeper into different configurations for the models that interest you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bernard,

I had come across it once or twice. It is a bit hard to navigate, but there is indeed a lot of information there! It seems like the most sensible thing for the moment is to wait. My Mac Pro is still working adequately for what I am doing, there are still options for upgrades (adding more internal storage, for example, though most of mine is external RAID). Meanwhile, I am pretty reliant on FlexColor and Hasselblad just confirmed that they have discontinued the X series scanners and will not update the software to 32 bit, so either way, I am kind of stuck with Mojave for the moment. The new Mac Pros or newer macs will prevent that from working, which would mean I will need a dedicated scanning workstation...something I had hoped to avoid.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Yeah. $6000 for a computer with a 256GB SSD seems on the excessive side for photography. I'm sure some will rationalize it though. I guess if you have already splashed $50,000 for a IQ4150, what's another $10,000 or so.
    It is probably overkill for an owner/operator kind of shop, but it wouldn't be if you spent all day retouching or doing catalogue work.
    You wouldn't run that from local storage, so the dual 10Gb Ethernet will come-in handy.

The $6,000 configuration is confusing a lot of people. Nobody will buy it like that, just like nobody ever buys a pickup truck with no options. You will either add more CPU, or more memory, or more storage, or more GPU, etc, depending on your requirements.

I'm not a Mac person, but I ordered a new Linux workstation a few months back. The process was exactly the same (as was the price). Vendors start with a "base" configuration that does nothing particularly well, and then you upgrade the CPU, GPU, memory, etc, until you get what you want. In my case, I knew that GPU memory was critical (for video work), but CPU wasn't. On-board storage wasn't critical either. I run everything off-of a NAS.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Next Apple machine ?

On a related topic, will a 2013 Mac Pro or a new Mac Mini be compatible with the new Mac Pro Display XDR? My 2013 Mac Pro shipped with two AMD D300 GPUs. Not sure if the video is upgradable.
    Any disadvantage to doing photo editing with a 6k monitor?
    Thanks.