The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Masking toolkit (worth the cost of the software alone)

Paul2660

I have for years felt that the masking capabilities provided by Capture One, were not on par with other software tools, mainly comparing it to LR.

After watching a view C1 videos and reading some info, I have to say, Capture One has some really powerful masking tools.

The Auto mask has been improved dramatically, but the new Luma masking and Refine Mask both offer some excellent ways to get a horizon mask completed.

Just the basic pick a color and create a mask algorithm has been seemingly improved. The ability to mask a blue a sky against pine needles, without white outlines is now possible.

The combinations of Auto Mask, then using the Luma tool to "refine that range" is extremely powerful. You can create very detailed masks now

The only downside is the processing required by the Auto mask and especially the luma range, on IQ3/4 files it will take a bit of time, and even on Z7 Nikon images you can expect slight delays, but the fact that a mask can now so tightly controlled makes it worth the extra time.

I would recommend anyone using C1 to look at some of these masking tools, especially, the Luma and refine mask options.

Paul C