The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 12

Quentin_Bargate

I'm new to Capture One - this may be a beginner's question with that software, so apologies in advance. Patience is advised....

When processing a new previosuly unprocessed raw file in C1, then exporting as a TIFF and opening in Photoshop, its all good. Excellent in fact.

However, processing a raw file in C1 that has previously been processed in ACR, the saved TIFF exported from C1, when previewed in Bridge and also when opened in Photshop, is treated like a raw file. It opens in ACR and colour adjustments are applied.

I just want to open the file as eported as a TIFF from C1 and not have colour and other adjustments from ACR made some time ago rise up like some monster and afflict the processed file

I find it weird, but perhaps I'm missing something dead obvious.

Told you I was new to C1!

The files are from a Fuji GFX 50S

Thanks

Quentin_Bargate

Follow up: IF I open the Tiff in SilkyPix, no problem. Its only if the file is opened in Photoshop that old adjustments made by ACR are applied.

It must be the case the C1 converted file still "remembers" it was previously processed in ACR, and opens the file in ACR and applies the ACR changes (including any crop). Is this a C1 problem? What is the solution? Its preventing me reprocessing old RAW files in C1.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I believe that the difficulty lies with Adobe products.

You should be able to turn off the default profile color sharpening etc for the files ... but that is based on the camera the file is from ... I believe.

That may mean that you may need to do two things ... if you will use LR or ACR for the camera files without C1 in the future you may need to
save a profile for the camera that you prefer in ACR/PS/LR. Then you can apply it to the files ... if you uncheck all of the options for processing and
apply that as a default for your camera ... TIF or Raw ... you should be able to open the C1 TIFs without corrections applied. Just a guess. If the corrections from
C1 are saved in a meta file I assume that a friendly software would read them and use them but Adobe and Phase may not play that well together.

I pretty much dislike the majority of the canned corrections that Adobe applies so I have had my LR/ACR set to nothing for every new camera I use.

Another potential is to delete the side car file with the corrections ... potentially then rename the Raw file so that your original file ACR processing is saved.

Hope you get a better detailed response from someone more current in post for stills.

Regards,

Bob

Arjuna

In my environment, processing in ACR generates a filename.xmp file to match the filename.raw file. If I delete the .xmp file, all the adjustments that I made in ACR are lost. I suspect that any Adobe program would find the .xmp and apply the adjustments in it, when opening a file.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The .xmp file is the sidecar file ... delete it or change the name or ending so that you can re-use it if you desire down the road as a
starting point if a new ACR or PS process is favored. Like a batch change from filename*.xmp to filename*.xmp.old ... will keep it
from being seen by ACR.

archiM44

I just processed some RAW files in Capture One 12 and then sent the TIFF back to the same Lightroom folder and imported them back into my LR catalog by synchronizing that folder.
What came in looked different and even were cropped differently.
This has often happened in the past and is easily solved by going into the Develop module and clicking the RESET and all is corrected