The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom

pmwpaul

Anyone have any views on whether to buy it or pay the monthly rental fee. What are the any pros' and con's?

darr

You can no longer purchase Lightroom without a subscription.
Whatever copy you do get, will no longer be supported by Adobe.

Clens

I got used to Lightroom. It is a powerful RAW image processor. Actually, the best I found for myself. This is a pro factor that will beat any cons. I need it to do my work quickly so I have to pay for it.

scho

I am seeing a significant slow down after the latest Lightroom Classic update (10.1). A lot of spinning beach ball time that I never had in earlier versions. Using Mac mini 2014 running Big Sur.

Godfrey

I'm seeing the opposite, Carl, but I upgraded my 2012 Mac mini to a 2018 Mac mini in late 2019. The 'new' hardware has a 3.2 Ghz 6-core i7 and 32G RAM vs the old system's 2.7Ghz 4-core i7 and 16G RAM. I did this because I was concerned that it was reaching the limits of what I would be comfortable with using the older processor and less memory, and today's 50 Mpixel raw files from the Light L16 and Hasselblad 907x. LR Classic v10.1 is likely not optimized for Big Sur on older hardware, I suspect it depends on what exactly you're working with as to how much of a performance hit there might be.

You should see if LRC's "use graphics processor" option (Lightroom Preferences, performance page) is compatible. Some folks have said that it is not with their 2012-2014 Mac systems, but if it is, the performance is often nicely enhanced with that option enabled.

G

scho

Thanks Godfrey. I'm still using a mini 2014 and was going to upgrade soon to the new model. Graphics support is on Auto in LR prefs. There is a very long thread on the Adobe LR support site about this issue and the common recommendation is to switch monitor profile to SRGB, from native or custom profile. I haven't tried that yet. Also engineers are supposedly working on a fix for this issue.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I bought the PS photo bundle as the subscription and highly reco that route as you get every update as they come out. I don't even use LR, but I guess it's nice to know it's there if I want it. I did the same subscription route with C1, and glad I did.