The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

macOS Catalina: is it safe ?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Godfrey

I've been more and more irritated by Adobe for the past five years. I haven't used PS since 2014 at all, and LR 6.14 is the last version of Lightroom I'll use. It'll live forever on my mid-2012 Mac mini, locked in time with macOS Mojave and all the other stuff that's already on it, for when I need it.

I'll soon order a new Mac mini, fully stuffed, and will configure it from scratch with new software that does the job I want. The only bit of kit that I have to check compatibility on is my Xrite i1 Display Pro software... :D

Safe? Eh, I'm not worrying about it. It'll work well enough with the right software.

G

Photon42

Is this going to be Adobe's "move everything to our cloud if you want to upgrade your OS" excuse? I've been wondering what they'd do next. They already own your workflow. Now they want your work. :angry:

M
Not for Venezuela

Godfrey

Well, sorry Joe. Didn't mean to blow up a cloud of horsepucky.

Sorry guys for asking this question every year ... :grin:
Perhaps the correct answer is embedded in your question ... You ask the same question every year, and the answer is undoubtedly the same: Some things are fine, others are not. Until there's more evidence from the field, it's best to be cautious. Exactly what does and doesn't work will have to wait until there are a few people who've installed it and started testing their gear with it.

Unless there's some overriding need to be on a new OS revision, just hang out and wait until the vendors of your critical software have caught up.

G

Godfrey

Follow-on to the OP question:

I use Econ Technologies' ChronoSync as the basis of my backup and archiving system. They're released a full technical note regarding preparing for and upgrading to macOS Catalina:

https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/TN-CS-Catalina-Update.html

They're all ready for it, I've got the latest revision (Catalina compatible) already installed and tested. This software is at least as important as Lightroom and Photoshop, to me anyway. :)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have been using Catalina for a few days now. No problems so far. What's annoying is that Mac Pro 2010-2012 isn't any longer compatible, even with a Metal compatible GPU (or at least that's what they say). I suppose they did that on purpose to force people over on the new Pro.

Godfrey

I have been using Catalina for a few days now. No problems so far. What's annoying is that Mac Pro 2010-2012 isn't any longer compatible, even with a Metal compatible GPU (or at least that's what they say). I suppose they did that on purpose to force people over on the new Pro.
No, they likely did that because some bit required for compatibility with the latest OS is missing in that generation Mac Pro's hardware architecture, and any workaround would make the new OS not run particularly well, as well as be difficult to maintain. 2012 generation stuff is old hardware now.

I had access to a couple of these decision teams at Apple once upon a time. It's never a lot of fun to have to say 'Yes, we should not support that.' when it comes to aging out a generation of computer hardware. It has to happen eventually for most hardware if you are going to move forward, but no one ever likes doing it ... including the marketing goons.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No, they likely did that because some bit required for compatibility with the latest OS is missing in that generation Mac Pro's hardware architecture, and any workaround would make the new OS not run particularly well, as well as be difficult to maintain. 2012 generation stuff is old hardware now.

I had access to a couple of these decision teams at Apple once upon a time. It's never a lot of fun to have to say 'Yes, we should not support that.' when it comes to aging out a generation of computer hardware. It has to happen eventually for most hardware if you are going to move forward, but no one ever likes doing it ... including the marketing goons.

G
I hear what you're sayin' Godfrey. Still, I'm running 10.13 High Sierra on my 2009 4,1 (officially limited to 10.11 El Capitan) with the High Sierra Patcher that someone was so kind to develop. I don't have any problems with it at all, except obviously not being able to install upgrades, which is also due to the fact that there are no Metal compatible GPUs available for it.

However, since the 4,1 is available used for around $300 these days, it's a fantastic photo server/backup unit, since it swallows four large disks, larger than the specified 2TB limit (i use 4TB units), and will last much longer than the "plastic fantastic" disk towers that are available elsewhere for a similar price but with no processing capabilities.

scho

I installed Catalina a couple of days ago and running fine on my 2014 Mac Mini. Only issue was with ImagePrint not working, but they have promised an update next week.

baudolino

I just updated to Catalina and can report that Capture One 12 seems to be running fine, including tethering with the D850 and an IQ3 back. Doesn't mean that what I did was super clever, given Phase One's guidance not to upgrade for the moment, given that Catalina is "not supported at the moment" and reports on the web to the effect that tethering did not work. Perhaps I will discover some issues later but so far so good.

scho

I installed Catalina a couple of days ago and running fine on my 2014 Mac Mini. Only issue was with ImagePrint not working, but they have promised an update next week.
Just a followup to note that ImagePrint was updated and is working well with Catalina. I have not had any issues processing images in Lightroom Classic, Capture One 12, Luminar and DXO. I mainly use Lightroom.

MrSmith

i really don't understand why people rush to upgrade?
one thing that i did find out is that my Eizo screen will have to be replaced as colour navigator is only catalina compliant with version 7 not 6 (32bit) and my CG 241W is not supported by version 7.
i can still use it but not take advantage of calibrating with colour navigator which is the point of using an Eizo!

so if you use an Eizo that’s a few years old then check first before upgrading.

Godfrey

I don't know that anyone in this thread is 'rushing' to upgrade. Seems to me that folks in this thread are being cautious and deliberating over whether it's an update that will cause problems before diving in. Of course, someone has to update for user information on "what works" and "what doesn't" to surface too... :D

Thanks for the notes on EIZO display compatibility! Not something that affects me, but I know many people really like their EIZO displays. I'm still happy with my now-ancient Apple Thunderbolt 27" display.

G