Site Sponsors

Thread: macOS Catalina: is it safe ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow macOS Catalina: is it safe ?

Sorry guys for asking this question every year ...

macOS Catalina 10.15
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: macOS Catalina: is it safe ?

Mmm, I guess better safe than sorry ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 20.06.26.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	144576

[by capture integration]
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Knorp

take a read here, for example.

Cheers
    Ivo
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adobe products with incompatibilities:

Photoshop
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...-catalina.html

Lightroom Classic
    https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cl...atibility.html

Joe

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Adobe products with incompatibilities:

Photoshop
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...-catalina.html

Lightroom Classic
    https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cl...atibility.html

Joe
    Is this going to be Adobe's "move everything to our cloud if you want to upgrade your OS" excuse? I've been wondering what they'd do next. They already own your workflow. Now they want your work.

M

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been more and more irritated by Adobe for the past five years. I haven't used PS since 2014 at all, and LR 6.14 is the last version of Lightroom I'll use. It'll live forever on my mid-2012 Mac mini, locked in time with macOS Mojave and all the other stuff that's already on it, for when I need it.

I'll soon order a new Mac mini, fully stuffed, and will configure it from scratch with new software that does the job I want. The only bit of kit that I have to check compatibility on is my Xrite i1 Display Pro software...

Safe? Eh, I'm not worrying about it. It'll work well enough with the right software.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Xrite statement from July:

https://xritephoto.com/ph_product_ov...SupportID=5921

They might be close to full support for everything by now. I've sent an inquiry.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Is this going to be Adobe's "move everything to our cloud if you want to upgrade your OS" excuse? I've been wondering what they'd do next. They already own your workflow. Now they want your work.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I've been more and more irritated by Adobe for the past five years. I haven't used PS since 2014 at all, and LR 6.14 is the last version of Lightroom I'll use. It'll live forever on my mid-2012 Mac mini, locked in time with macOS Mojave and all the other stuff that's already on it, for when I need it.

<snip>

G
    I knew that even mentioning Adobe would create a [email protected]#t storm. I'm just passing on information relevant to the OP's question. With an X1D, Capture 1 is not an option for me. And at my age, I doubt whether I have sufficient brain cells left to learn a new processing app. YMMV.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post

M
    Not for Venezuela

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm more concerned regarding C1 : https://support.captureone.com/hc/en...es-immediately
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, sorry Joe. Didn't mean to blow up a cloud of horsepucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Sorry guys for asking this question every year ...
    Perhaps the correct answer is embedded in your question ... You ask the same question every year, and the answer is undoubtedly the same: Some things are fine, others are not. Until there's more evidence from the field, it's best to be cautious. Exactly what does and doesn't work will have to wait until there are a few people who've installed it and started testing their gear with it.

Unless there's some overriding need to be on a new OS revision, just hang out and wait until the vendors of your critical software have caught up.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow-on to the OP question:

I use Econ Technologies' ChronoSync as the basis of my backup and archiving system. They're released a full technical note regarding preparing for and upgrading to macOS Catalina:

https://www.econtechnologies.com/chr...na-Update.html

They're all ready for it, I've got the latest revision (Catalina compatible) already installed and tested. This software is at least as important as Lightroom and Photoshop, to me anyway.

G

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been using Catalina for a few days now. No problems so far. What's annoying is that Mac Pro 2010-2012 isn't any longer compatible, even with a Metal compatible GPU (or at least that's what they say). I suppose they did that on purpose to force people over on the new Pro.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I have been using Catalina for a few days now. No problems so far. What's annoying is that Mac Pro 2010-2012 isn't any longer compatible, even with a Metal compatible GPU (or at least that's what they say). I suppose they did that on purpose to force people over on the new Pro.
    No, they likely did that because some bit required for compatibility with the latest OS is missing in that generation Mac Pro's hardware architecture, and any workaround would make the new OS not run particularly well, as well as be difficult to maintain. 2012 generation stuff is old hardware now.

I had access to a couple of these decision teams at Apple once upon a time. It's never a lot of fun to have to say 'Yes, we should not support that.' when it comes to aging out a generation of computer hardware. It has to happen eventually for most hardware if you are going to move forward, but no one ever likes doing it ... including the marketing goons.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Define “safe.” I spent a half hour this morning getting my dock back.

I hope it’ll be there tomorrow.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    No, they likely did that because some bit required for compatibility with the latest OS is missing in that generation Mac Pro's hardware architecture, and any workaround would make the new OS not run particularly well, as well as be difficult to maintain. 2012 generation stuff is old hardware now.

I had access to a couple of these decision teams at Apple once upon a time. It's never a lot of fun to have to say 'Yes, we should not support that.' when it comes to aging out a generation of computer hardware. It has to happen eventually for most hardware if you are going to move forward, but no one ever likes doing it ... including the marketing goons.

G
    I hear what you're sayin' Godfrey. Still, I'm running 10.13 High Sierra on my 2009 4,1 (officially limited to 10.11 El Capitan) with the High Sierra Patcher that someone was so kind to develop. I don't have any problems with it at all, except obviously not being able to install upgrades, which is also due to the fact that there are no Metal compatible GPUs available for it.

However, since the 4,1 is available used for around $300 these days, it's a fantastic photo server/backup unit, since it swallows four large disks, larger than the specified 2TB limit (i use 4TB units), and will last much longer than the "plastic fantastic" disk towers that are available elsewhere for a similar price but with no processing capabilities.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I installed Catalina a couple of days ago and running fine on my 2014 Mac Mini. Only issue was with ImagePrint not working, but they have promised an update next week.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just updated to Catalina and can report that Capture One 12 seems to be running fine, including tethering with the D850 and an IQ3 back. Doesn't mean that what I did was super clever, given Phase One's guidance not to upgrade for the moment, given that Catalina is "not supported at the moment" and reports on the web to the effect that tethering did not work. Perhaps I will discover some issues later but so far so good.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I installed Catalina a couple of days ago and running fine on my 2014 Mac Mini. Only issue was with ImagePrint not working, but they have promised an update next week.
    Just a followup to note that ImagePrint was updated and is working well with Catalina. I have not had any issues processing images in Lightroom Classic, Capture One 12, Luminar and DXO. I mainly use Lightroom.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Capture One 20 to the rescue ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

i really don't understand why people rush to upgrade?
    one thing that i did find out is that my Eizo screen will have to be replaced as colour navigator is only catalina compliant with version 7 not 6 (32bit) and my CG 241W is not supported by version 7.
    i can still use it but not take advantage of calibrating with colour navigator which is the point of using an Eizo!

so if you use an Eizo that’s a few years old then check first before upgrading.
    They are just tools for a job.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that anyone in this thread is 'rushing' to upgrade. Seems to me that folks in this thread are being cautious and deliberating over whether it's an update that will cause problems before diving in. Of course, someone has to update for user information on "what works" and "what doesn't" to surface too...

Thanks for the notes on EIZO display compatibility! Not something that affects me, but I know many people really like their EIZO displays. I'm still happy with my now-ancient Apple Thunderbolt 27" display.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From Fuji Rumors ...

Capture One is offering a 20% discount to all existing Capture One Pro 12 customers, who pre-order Capture One Pro 20.

Keep in mind that our exclusive 10% discount code OCT-AF-P89 expires on October 31, so only until then you save 30%. After that, you’ll save “only” 20%.

Dedicated Capture One 12 to Capture One 20 upgrade deal page
    And now we wait ...
    Bart ...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    From Fuji Rumors ...

And now we wait ...
    ... until when? Is there a release date?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    ... until when? Is there a release date?
    'Coming soon', but not this month ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

And why is Capture One going to version 20 ? Obviously to synch with the year but who cares?

I am not so concerned with anything except not being able to
    use my old version Microsoft Office which I believe isn't 16 bit

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

To answer a few questions ...

Q: What is Capture One 20?

A: Following on from Capture One 12, Capture One 20 is the next generation of Capture One.

Q: Why did you skip 13-19? Why is it called 20?

A: Capture One 20 is more powerful than ever and will deliver the next generation of photo editing tools. So with a new decade taking off in 2020, we decided to mark a new era of photography and image processing with Capture One.

Q: When is the new version being released?

A: In support, we cannot comment on future releases. However, we’ll definitely be sharing the news of the launch via emails, the Resource Hub and our social media channels – so stay tuned.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Given that I've heard that LR v6.14 would run successfully in the macOS Catalina environment with an "install-over" installation, I considered installing Catalina on my current mid-2012 Mac mini. But then I reconsidered and felt that my original plan to keep the 2012 mini frozen on Mojave with LR 6.14 forever as a backup to all the work that I've done with Lightroom since 2006, and buy a new Mac mini for Catalina and beyond, was a more sensible and prudent plan going forward.

So yesterday I ordered a new Mac mini configured with the higher end six-core processor, 32G RAM, and 1T internal SSD. I need a TB2 to TB3 adapter to enable continued use of my Apple Thunderbolt Display 27", and adapters to connect my current USB3 drives through USB-C ports. All of my photo data other than the Lightroom catalogs themselves are on the external USB3 drives, my current keyboard and trackpad will work just fine. I need to check compatibility of the Xrite i2 Display Pro with both the USB2 to USB-C connector as well as my CD/DVD drive and SD/CF card readers. I'll build up the new system afresh when it arrives. I suspect PS and LR will no longer be installed on the system at all.

A new adventure beckons. I look forward to it.

G

No matter where you go, there you are.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So, my late 2013 “trashcan” Mac Pro was overheating and shutting down with a fairly light workload. It didn’t seem to have any airflow through it. Oh boy, do I need a new fan?

Nope. I found one video out there where someone removed the outer shell and used a soft brush to clean the air intake all around the bottom of the “trashcan”. Upon inspection I found that after 6 years of continued use the air intake was completely plugged up. After brushing off all the small dust and fiber particles, airflow has been restored and the “trashcan” runs cool under any workload. Problem solved.

The 1 TB internal SSD is now running the latest version of Mojave and I will keep it frozen that way so that I can keep using PS CS6, an old version of Nik, and a free plug-in for Helicon Focus that I use in combination with Capture One Pro for my cameras from various makers. I also have an old version of LR that I don’t use any longer.

I ave also added a 2 TB external SSD to run Catalina on. I have noticed that a bug in Catalina has been fixed so that the latest version of SoftRAID can be installed without a workaround.

Generally I like using Catalina a lot. But unfortunately it doesn’t support some of the functionality I still rely on. Unless I can replace those under Catalina lost functions with supported ones I will keep switching between Mojave as my primary OS and Catalina as my secondary one.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The adventure begins:

The new Mac mini (Catalina pre-installed) arrived yesterday, a week early, and is waiting for me to get to work setting it up. I'm working out just how I want it to be configured and with what... Fun fun fun!

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey, good luck with the Mac Mini. I just received my 16" MacBook Pro with Catalina pre-installed. So far, so good. Most/all of my apps have caught up with Catalina. No incompatibilities discovered yet.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, good luck with the Mac Mini. I just received my 16" MacBook Pro with Catalina pre-installed. So far, so good. Most/all of my apps have caught up with Catalina. No incompatibilities discovered yet.

Joe
    Hi Joe,

Have you used Lightroom 9.x and/or PS 2020 with your new MackBook Pro?
    If so, any problems encountered?

Thank you,
    Darr
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Hi Joe,

Have you used Lightroom 9.x and/or PS 2020 with your new MackBook Pro?
    If so, any problems encountered?

Thank you,
    Darr
    Darr, I'm using Lightroom Classic 9.0 and Photoshop 2020 and have found no issues (yet). My Nik Collection and Topaz AI plugins work well also. So far, so good.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Darr, I'm using Lightroom Classic 9.0 and Photoshop 2020 and have found no issues (yet). My Nik Collection and Topaz AI plugins work well also. So far, so good.

Joe
    Thanks so much Joe.
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Adventure Continues ...

I'm running on the new mini now. I decided to do my setup by initializing the system with its defaults and then using Migration Assistant to pull over everything from the 2012 mini using a Thunderbolt connection. After initialization, the migration required a TB2 to TB3 adapter in addition to the one I bought to run the display. It completed the pull-over of everything in about two hours total. Not bad for 800 Gbytes of data to transfer.

Since then, I've been checking operations and deleting no longer useful applications. The different port availability and need for an external CF/SD card reader means I probably have to add a small USB3 hub to configure all the peripherals the way I had them before... of course, I have to decide whether that's really needed or what I want.

My old PS 5.1 was dead already since I hadn't installed the Java engine it requires. LR 6.14 perpetual license is dead as expected. I have a fresh copy of On1 Photo Raw 2020 to install, and I have RAW Power and Affinity Photo already installed. And I have Luminar on tap to play with too. (I really have to learn how to use Photos a bit more before I get comfortable with RAW Power...)

The 2012 mini is as it was, and can be hooked up and brought into service in two minutes for access to LR 6.14. It'll be interesting to see how often this is necessary until I'm fully converted to using new software.

Onwards...
    G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

More in The Adventure Continues ...

Since they're nonfunctional on Catalina, I went through the hoops required and removed Photoshop CS5.1 and Lightroom v6.14 from the new machine. AND the collection of LR catalog folders as well. They're all untouched on the old mini, why waste the space? And that space was considerable ... almost 100Gbytes of my terabyte startup drive.

QT Pro 7 no longer runs, as well as a bunch of other old utility apps that had been lingering. All gone now. Some updates to various and sundry other apps installed.

I updated Adobe Digital Negative Converter to current. I'll install Hasselblad's Phocus when the 907x arrives, meanwhile I've got On1 Photo RAW 2020 installed as well as FastRawViewer and one of the RawDigger versions. And RAW Power. Now to learn how to use Photos, RAW Power, and On1 for real.

Obviously, I'm in no hurry. Things proceed apace...

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I received this message today ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 18.29.27.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	145855

... but is it safe ?
    Bart ...