The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MM1 files no longer open in Nik filters?

D&A

Hi All,

I encountered a strange problem. I have the original NIk filters installed in Photoshop on my Windows 10 CPU. I can open any Tiff or jpeg file from any camera (except one) in any of the Nik programs from within Photoshop. Yet when I open a MM1 monochrome image in Photoshop (a Tiff or jpeg.... when I go to the filters drop down menu in Photoshop, the Nik selection is grayed out and not available. In addition, if I for example open both a Tiff or jpeg from any other camera in Photoshop along with opening a Tiff or jpeg from the MM1, if I highlight the file from any other camera, the Nik filter selection is available but if I highlight the MM1 Tiff or jpeg, it's grayed out.

I can also access the usual Nik filter selections on the right side of the Photoshop window where a Nik filter selection is located and when I try selecting any Nik program/filter with a MM1 file from this location (instead of Photoshops filter drop down selection), it simple says Nik selection is not available. I even tried some MM1 files shot years ago that opened with Nik previously but even those don't any longer. Other than that, Nik filters seems to work perfectly with every other Tiff and jpeg from every other camera file.

I have learned that the original Nik filters now available from DxO can be used as a stand alone and I haven't yet downloaded and tried this but can't see why the Nik filters in Photoshop don't work with my MM1 files "only". Any ideas of what this issue is would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

bensonga

Hi Dave. I remember having this problem before. I think if your MM1 images have a image Mode type of Grayscale, not RGB Color, then the Nik filters will be greyed out and not accessible. I just opened one of my Sony a7 Monochrome image files to check. Regardless of whether it was a TIF or JPG file, if the Mode is RGB Color the Nik filters are available, if I change the Mode to Grayscale the Nik filters are no longer available. Perhaps that is the same for your MM1 files.

By the way, I have the same basic setup as you....a Windows 10 computer with the original Nik PS plug-in filters.

Gary

D&A

Hi Dave. I remember having this problem before. I think if your MM1 images have a image Mode type of Grayscale, not RGB Color, then the Nik filters will be greyed out and not accessible. I just opened one of my Sony a7 Monochrome image files to check. Regardless of whether it was a TIF or JPG file, if the Mode is RGB Color the Nik filters are available, if I change the Mode to Grayscale the Nik filters are no longer available. Perhaps that is the same for your MM1 files.

By the way, I have the same basic setup as you....a Windows 10 computer with the original Nik PS plug-in filters.

Gary
Gary, that was exactly the issue! Once I converted the monochrome file from grayscale to RGB, all Nik filters worked perfectly. Cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond! Very much appreciated. As an aside, I never recalled having to convert color space previously with the MM1 files. Guess father time has caught up with me :). Thanks once again!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Gary, with regards to what I posted above, I also learned something else (mentioned by someone else).

When I just opened some MM1 monochrome images in ACR... On the bottom of the ACR window, the image opened as Gray Gamma 2.2 / 8 bit. I changed it to RGB /16 Bit and then opened the (these) MM1 ACR images in photoshop. Voila! Nik filters were available. I then immediately opened some color images from other cameras in ACR and they too as always opened in RGB 16 Bit. Therefore changing this preference in ACR now opens all files, especially the ones from the MM1 in RGB 16 Bit. (it also gives the choice of 8 Bit). My guess is a long time ago when I opened MM1 images in ACR and the Nik filters were immediately available without doing anything, my ACR was set to RGB. Along the way I recall I did a fresh re-install of ACR/photoshop and it must have set ACR to Grey Gamma 2.2/8bit. Not realizing this when I recently opened MM1 files was the issue why my Nik filters were not accessible. All very informative and I learned something valuable. Guess old(er) dogs can learn new tricks. :). Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

Thanks for that additional info Dave. There are just so many quirks that can trip us up. At my age, it is getting hard to remember and keep them all straight.

Gary