The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 20 (13.1) Problem - Color Editor on layers disappear

StevenP

So I just found what seems to be a major problem for me. I kept noticing that my color editor (specifically skin tones) kept disappearing on my layers. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

-Make a layer and paint a mask...in my case it's usually a skin layer.
-Do some sort of color adjustment on that layer.
-Click off that layer, then click back on the color adjustment layer...and it's gone :scry:

What's odd is that other adjustments seem to stick around, like a layer with an exposure or HDR adjustments remain.

The actual mask that is drawn is also present. It's simply the color editor adjustments are gone.

This is a huge problem in that the simple act of clicking around my layers seems to erase a huge part of my work.

I send in a support form and I think this is being treated as a bug. I'm just curious if anyone else is seeing this?

I'm on OSX 10.14.6.

f8orbust

Seems to be working ok on C1 v13.1.0.162 on Windows 10. That said, when I click off the layer (e.g. click the background layer) the adjustment flickers off for the briefest of moments before reappearing (as if C1 is recomputing it).

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Wooops! I thought it worked with 13.1.0.172 and 10.15.4, but I went back and played some more and now my Advanced Color adjustments keep getting lost when I switch between layer and background. If I simply create a new layer, select it, and then go back to base, the adjustments are gone.

BUG!

Matt

StevenP

Wooops! I thought it worked with 13.1.0.172 and 10.15.4, but I went back and played some more and now my Advanced Color adjustments keep getting lost when I switch between layer and background. If I simply create a new layer, select it, and then go back to base, the adjustments are gone.

BUG!

Matt
Thanks for checking! I would've liked to have started this over on the med. format forum, since there are so many C1 users over there, but since I'm not a MF shooter, I decided against it.

Hopefully more people will report it and it will get taken care of ASAP, but it looks like for right now, I'll need to go back to 13.0 till this gets fixed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
File a bug report with Phase. They are very good at fixing them quickly.

MGrayson

Thanks for checking! I would've liked to have started this over on the med. format forum, since there are so many C1 users over there, but since I'm not a MF shooter, I decided against it.

Hopefully more people will report it and it will get taken care of ASAP, but it looks like for right now, I'll need to go back to 13.0 till this gets fixed.
FWIW, now that I'm on OS X 10.15.5, I can NOT replicate the bug. I tried it on yesterday's image and one from a different day. All good. Coincidence? Fix? I dunno.

Once again, the SECOND time I try it, the bug shows up. Edit color on base layer, create adjustment layer. Click on it. Click on base - color settings gone.

Another image, and bug doesn't show up. This is a nasty one. Filing a report...

OK, does anyone know HOW to submit a C1 bug report? They seem to have removed that functionality unless you own Phase One equipment. There are pages of complaints about this, but no suggestions I could find.

Matt

Last edited:

StevenP

I didn't know how to do a bug report (or even if what I was seeing was actually a bug), so I just went through the email contact form on the site. This was the initial reply:

"Thank you for bringing this bug to our attention, we appreciate the time you’ve taken to contribute towards the development and maintenance of Capture One.
I would consider this a bug and have already filed a report with all the details for the R&D team.
I will place your ticket on-hold and will get back to you should we need any more information on this bug report.
Unfortunately, we cannot comment when this bug will be fixed, but rest assured that it has been reported and will be looked into.
We also cannot guarantee that this will be in the next service release, but we will do our best to roll out a fix as soon as possible."

Hopefully a few people will report it and it'll get bumped up the priority ladder. I was really enjoying some of the minor tweaks to this .1 release, but once I get struggle through a few things I've started, I'll be going back the 13.0

MGrayson

I did manage to file a "request" that included details of the problem. I *hope* it will be seen as a bug report.

Matt

archiM44

I just tried to replicate the problem, but couldn't.
1. Made an empty adjustment layer and painted a mask on a face and then used skin color editor to change the skin tone in several ways. went back to the base layer and click the adjustment layer on and off without any issue.
2. Made a filled adjustment layer and used the skin color editor and then after clearing the mask brushed in the adjustments on the skin areas. Turning that layer on or off did not give any issue.

I am running 13.1.0.172 on a iMac on Mojave

I also tried other color edits on layers without any problems. Maybe I didn't understand the problem correctly, for which I apologize.

StevenP

Thank y'all for looking into this! I'm not surprised everyone isn't seeing the same thing, since that does seem to be what bugs do :D

Since I had already started some tedious work on a couple projects, I'm wading through them now, WITH the bug so I've seen some weird stuff.

-Color edits on the background layer MOSTLY seem to stick around, but I've seen them occasionally disappear from some of my finishing user styles.
-Turning the layer check box on and off acts like it should and doesn't make anything disappear. Only switching between layers to make them active to edit makes stuff disappear.
-Sometimes I can cycle through the layers WITH MY KEYBOARD ARROWS WITHOUT causing the bug to appear. This was how I was checking to see if someone was ready to edit, but it only lasted so long.
-The MOUSE almost always causes the bug to appear for me.
-There have been some pictures where the color edits haven't disappeared, even when I try to make them do so... :rolleyes:
-Some pics survive a couple clicks around, but then on the 2nd or 3rd layer click they disappear. Then it seems once it starts turning off, it does so more easily.

So right now working through these pics, it's kinda like I get one shot at a layer then I have to leave it alone. For the way I work, it's possible for the small number of pics I'm working on, but a pain...and a pain compounded by the fact that I'm colorblind, so I'm super worried something will sneak past me, since it might not be immediately obvious to me if I miss something.

I sure hope it gets fixed really soon, but I'm also keeping a level head about the whole thing, since this is pretty minor in the scope of things that could be going wrong, in my life ;)

StevenP

I guess I can hijack my own thread, right?

So, does anyone actually work at C1 technical support, besides one guy who seems a lot like a robot, who emails once every 24 hours with a (seemingly) canned response? I've been referenced the same support article several times, even though I'm trying my best to explain that it's not working for me, that way...with screenshots. I also keep trying to explain that I KNOW the backups were made with 13.0.

I'm totally not trying to be ugly. I'm legitimately wondering because I'm having some fairly significant issues going backwards to 13.0 from 13.1.

I couldn't get my backup catalog MADE WITH 13.0 BEFORE I upgraded to 13.1 to work right. Now that I'm in 13.0 I can't get any of my backups to be recognized with the RESTORE CATALOG feature.

The backups are there. I can see them. I can even click on them from my finder and open them. It seems to have all the pics there, BUT all my detailed mask work is gone. The layers are there and (as far as I can tell) the settings are what I had them at, but there are no masks. Kind of a big deal to me since I have to return to a project to edit some more pics for a client and I was hoping they'd be to help me with consistency.

I mean, how do you get good support for something like this? Makes me think I should buy C1 from Digital Transitions or Capture Integration, next time so I could email one of them...

rsinclair

I'm finding in C1 20 that any and all layer adjustments of any kind no longer appear once one has exited the program and later return. The layers are there, but any masks no longer appear. The adjustments appear in the adjusted areas but the masks do not. As an eg, if I make a gradient mask on a layer, make adjustments, exit C1, and then return later, I can click on the layer, the adjustments appear in the adjusted area (like exposure, etc), but the mask no longer exists and I must remake it.

rsinclair

When they released 13.1.1, my layers issue was fixed. Which version are you on?
Not sure if you're responding to the OP or my post immediately preceding yours, but I'm using the current, 13.1.1.24 build.

The layer's application method is removed following an exit from the program or at times simply going to another image and then returning to the adjusted/layered image; the method of layer application (eg., gradient, brush, radial, etc) is removed.

And to add to the frustration, Exposure Evaluation does not load on the selected image unless one selects the image and Exposure Evaluation, where subsequently nothing appears unless selecting any other image and then reselecting the desired image when evaluation then appears.

For me, all of the above are new to C1 20 vs prior versions and result in a slow/cumbersome workflow.

_Robert

StevenP

Not sure if you're responding to the OP or my post immediately preceding yours, but I'm using the current, 13.1.1.24 build.

The layer's application method is removed following an exit from the program or at times simply going to another image and then returning to the adjusted/layered image; the method of layer application (eg., gradient, brush, radial, etc) is removed.

And to add to the frustration, Exposure Evaluation does not load on the selected image unless one selects the image and Exposure Evaluation, where subsequently nothing appears unless selecting any other image and then reselecting the desired image when evaluation then appears.

For me, all of the above are new to C1 20 vs prior versions and result in a slow/cumbersome workflow.

_Robert
I'm sorry, I should've quoted you to be more clear. That is the same build I am on, which cleared up my original issues. I know how frustrating the layers issues are, because they've become a HUGE part of my workflow.

Upon one of the members suggestions, I tried out and found the Capture One Support Forum pretty helpful. It didn't fix my original problem on the first release of 13.1, but a couple people were very helpful with my trouble downgrading (to 13.0) and restoring my backup, which held me over till 13.1.1.24 was released. MAYBE some will have a suggestion over there 🤞🏼

archiM44

I just tried using an empty adjustment layer and then masking and also using a filled adjustment layer, adjusting the total image and after right clicking to clear the mask brushing in the adjustments.
If I exit the program and later reopen Capture One in the same session and image the adjustment layer and mask are still there. If I reopen Capture One in the same session and work on an other image using adjustment layers and then close the program and reopen in the same session, I can continue working on both images using the same adjustment later and masks stored with each image. I don't know what the limit is to the number images where the layers and information is stored in and if this works in a catalog. I also tried shutting down my computer and later starting up again. If I return to the same session all is ok in the images I had worked on. Layers and masks are available. I don't know how many images in the session you can work on as there must be a limit

StevenP

I just tried using an empty adjustment layer and then masking and also using a filled adjustment layer, adjusting the total image and after right clicking to clear the mask brushing in the adjustments.
If I exit the program and later reopen Capture One in the same session and image the adjustment layer and mask are still there. If I reopen Capture One in the same session and work on an other image using adjustment layers and then close the program and reopen in the same session, I can continue working on both images using the same adjustment later and masks stored with each image. I don't know what the limit is to the number images where the layers and information is stored in and if this works in a catalog. I also tried shutting down my computer and later starting up again. If I return to the same session all is ok in the images I had worked on. Layers and masks are available. I don't know how many images in the session you can work on as there must be a limit
That's interesting that you bring up sessions vs catalogs. I'm exclusively using a catalog (LR convert) and not having a problem since upgrading to 13.1.1.24.

I'm not entirely sure why my earlier reply to rsinclar isn't here, but I was able to get a little more help at the Capture One Support Forum. May be worth a shot going over there.