The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MACBOOK Pro 16 GPU choice for C1 Pro ?

archivue

i'm in the process to buy a new macbook pro 16", but i don't know what gpu to choose...

i remember that at launch, C1 was slow with these machines... GPU optimisation problems...
is it fixed ?

there is now 4 different options :

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 Go GDDR6
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 Go GDDR6
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 Go GDDR6
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 Go new with HBM2

The 5600 is too expensive for me, and probably overkilled for photo.
Anyway, i need 1To ssd, so i was in the process to buy the A9 with the 5500M

regular prices, the 5500M 8Go is just + 125 euros over the 4Go.
but, here in France the street price for the base regular A9 with the 5500M 4G is 380 euros cheaper than the one with the 8Go.

Is there a major difference in C1 and Psd with large files ( Fuji GFX 50r ) using the 5500M 8Go VS 4Go ?

Thanks

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The problem with these analyses is that software changes over time, and generally moves towards heavier GPU usage and better use of multiple cores. Get the most of either that you can afford.

My 2p,

Matt

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Rereading Diglloyd s macperformance blog ....C1 makes extensive use of GPU s and very poor use of Core s . LR is the opposite ..much faster with more cores . I would always go with the most GPU speed I could afford ....I expect that the MacBook 16 would be a 3 year life
span (for me ).

i'm in the process to buy a new macbook pro 16", but i don't know what gpu to choose...

i remember that at launch, C1 was slow with these machines... GPU optimisation problems...
is it fixed ?

there is now 4 different options :

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 Go GDDR6
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 Go GDDR6
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 Go GDDR6
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 Go new with HBM2

The 5600 is too expensive for me, and probably overkilled for photo.
Anyway, i need 1To ssd, so i was in the process to buy the A9 with the 5500M

regular prices, the 5500M 8Go is just + 125 euros over the 4Go.
but, here in France the street price for the base regular A9 with the 5500M 4G is 380 euros cheaper than the one with the 8Go.

Is there a major difference in C1 and Psd with large files ( Fuji GFX 50r ) using the 5500M 8Go VS 4Go ?

Thanks

iiiNelson

I have the 5500m with 8GB but that’s mostly because 4GB is about the absolute minimum I’d recommend today. For photography today I don’t know that you’ll see a huge difference between the 5500 and the 5600. For video, you may in some software. So I’m short I’d upgrade the GPU, RAM, and the. The SSD since storage wise you could choose external solutions and with TB3/USB3 you’d still maintain good speed.

archivue

i went with the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 Go / 32 Go RAM / 1 To SSD / i9 it looks like a good balance and you can find it in the refurb apple store...
refurb + apple care + that's the best deal !

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
C1 is greatly improved in it's GPU optimization. Note a reco below* For photo editing, I would always bias toward the most ram you can get in the box, then buy the best GPU you can afford for your remaining budget -- and I think that's still a sound philosophy. However, with the caveat most of the latest high-end GPU's are for video or 3-D gaming, and possibly not worth it for digital still imaging unless you want the best performance for those other applications. One thing is for certain -- having the best/fastest may not add much, but generally never hurts.

*Whenever I upgrade C1 Mac, I goto User>Library>AppSupport>C1>ImageCore and delete the files there -- they are what hold the GPU optimization settings and even though they're usually segregated by version I still delete them all. Then on next launch C1 will re-optimize for your system with the drivers in that version of C1. This usually takes a few minutes the first launch, and just be sure to let it finish before doing anything else. I have found this practice has eliminated all C1 process related hang-ups. YMMV.

iiiNelson

That’s the exact system I have. I get a discount through my employer so I paid a little over $3k out the door on my system that retailed for $3900+ tax.