The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help Please - color cast problem

ReeRay

There's an obvious color cast on this image and for the life of me I can't figure it out!

I've tried every deverative known to man but I just can't sort it. As you can see, color correction isn't my strong point!

Can you help and point me in the right direction please- i.e. more blue , less yellow etc.

Thanks

A

andershald

Hi Reeray.

Slightly weird, it seems to me that the left side of the image is more yellow and the right side more blue... First clue is the skin tones of the twins, Left twin skin is more yellow, right twin skin (sounding like dr seuss here) is slightly cooler. If you look at the doors behind the twins, the same goes. Is there a tungsten lightsource nearby to the left?
The catch light in the twins eyes looks like you might have used a fill flash, which should have eliminated the difference, at least in the foreground (the twins).
You could try to warm up the image overall to see if you like it more.

Best regards,
Anders

A

andershald

is the a warm relective surface...like a wall to the left?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Measuring the twins' skin tone at nearly adjacent points with identical lighting suggests that the one on the right actually IS bluer by about 5-10%. This is much more than the difference in color in the light background behind the girls, their front teeth (which are almost exactly the same color), or in the difference in color of their frocks, both of which read within a couple of percentage points identical.
Perhaps the one on the right was holding her breath or the one on the left had more sun exposure?
Over-all, the whole picture is just a touch cyan (minus red)
There is no way, without masking, that you will be able to make the girls match.
-bob

ReeRay

Thank you all for coming back.
I did indeed use fill-in flash (a relatively overcast day) and there isn't a reflective source or tungsten light. It's actually an open porch. (I've just had a quick look at the doors and they are indeed a different colour! Doh, Thailand.)
May I ask how you go about masking "Bob" - I'm unaware of this tool.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
For masking, in Photoshop, add an adjustment layer with a layer mask.
Fill the mask with black and then paint in with white in the mask area where you would like to apply the adjustment.
-bob