Site Sponsors

Thread: Aperture 2

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aperture 2

Just downloaded the new trial version of Version 2 and have to say this is really nice. This is worth a try, lot's of control

I am able to pull some serious detail out of the M8 files
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Aperture 2

This calls for some serious playing around.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heavy sky action here. Nice tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just playing here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From what I can gather we can shoot tethered also. I like LR better but this is interesting to play with

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Color little tough on this one of Prince Andrew shot at 1250

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Going to have to pull some studio lighting shots just to see how it does there.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Guy. I've got my upgrade on order. I bought Aperture with my MBP but couldn't get into the workflow enough to replace CS3. With the additional functionality and the more streamlined GUI, this seems like it might be a a good, single program for me. It's especially encouraging to note that 3rd party plug-ins can now be developed.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure I would switch from LR but this tethered option that comes with Aperture maybe worth the 200 bucks since I really could use a real tethered software. I have to try this and make sure it works. LR and Aperture are very similar . I give the nod to LR because the workflow seems smoother but Apple has done better here. The problem is it is a Mac program and until PC users can use it than it is a real problem for universal appeal. In the photo world having a specialized program is not a good thing when your dealing with art directors, graphic designers and others that will wind up working raw files. To me this would be only a secondary program for a certain thing like tethered until Leica comes out with a better capture software or C1 and LR could support such a function.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This obviously marks me as a old newspaper hack, but why would you want to shoot with your camera connected to a computer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Studio work Maggie so you can see on screen and large the image shot plus any Art directors around love to see what you are doing. For studio work this is very nice to have than look at a LCD screen that is 2 inches. i also use it a lot on location for lighting reasons also. Sometimes i may have 10 strobes going and this gives you a chance to see what each one is doing. Yes the M8 does commercial work too. LOL For me the M8 has no classifications , it is a digital tool and i use it for almost anything it will work at within it's own limitations. I do NOT follow that Leica is a PJ tool only idealism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Studio work Maggie so you can see on screen and large the image shot plus any Art directors around love to see what you are doing. For studio work this is very nice to have than look at a LCD screen that is 2 inches. i also use it a lot on location for lighting reasons also. Sometimes i may have 10 strobes going and this gives you a chance to see what each one is doing. Yes the M8 does commercial work too. LOL For me the M8 has no classifications , it is a digital tool and i use it for almost anything it will work at within it's own limitations. I do NOT follow that Leica is a PJ tool only idealism.
    Sorry for the hijack here, but this post stirred something in me and has sponsored a question regarding future workshops from you guys. It seems as though most of your workshops are geared towards landscape/available light photography and processing/printing. Have you ever done or considered doing one that has more emphasis on controlled/artificial light as in studio lighting or flash?

Having done some of that work myself many, many years ago, and having been present during shoots wearing my advertising director hat, I have a healthy respect for the miracles that can be achieved in pursuit of commercial photography.

What is the possibility of a workshop that might include studio/location lighting?

Thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never worked in a photo studio, but it sounds a lot like working in a recording studio, where the ad execs keep asking you, "could you play that back?' after every take!

When you're working tethered do you keep the camera on a tripod or move around or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Sorry for the hijack here, but this post stirred something in me and has sponsored a question regarding future workshops from you guys. It seems as though most of your workshops are geared towards landscape/available light photography and processing/printing. Have you ever done or considered doing one that has more emphasis on controlled/artificial light as in studio lighting or flash?

Having done some of that work myself many, many years ago, and having been present during shoots wearing my advertising director hat, I have a healthy respect for the miracles that can be achieved in pursuit of commercial photography.

What is the possibility of a workshop that might include studio/location lighting?

Thanks
    Very possible and something I would love to do. Hopefully we can put one together in June since outside temps are not a issue. We can rent a studio in almost any major city and put one on. New York and San Francisco would be my choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    I've never worked in a photo studio, but it sounds a lot like working in a recording studio, where the ad execs keep asking you, "could you play that back?' after every take!

When you're working tethered do you keep the camera on a tripod or move around or both?
    Pretty much just like that Maggie they love to drive you crazy. LOL.

You can shoot on tripod or off , you just need to be connected via firewire or USB to the computer. Depends on what you are shooting for me Fashion would be off and still's would be on a tripod. Also location stuff I am mostly off the tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

I think shooting tethered with an M8 will draw a lot on the battery relatively quick. Yes/No?

When I leave the M8 connected via USB, I notice that it warms up a bit. so, I'm assuming that this setup would draw on the battery.

By the way, I tried the tethered feature on Aperture 2 with the M8 and it's simple:

1. Create a project for your session
    2. FILE | TETHER | START SESSION
    3. Tether Setting appears: define your settings and click on Start Session
    4. Initiate the capture from Aperture or initiate the capture on the M8

Upload to Aperture after each shot is relatively quick. A couple of seconds.

The tethered feature doesn't apply to my work, but I like it's simplicity. Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure about battery, I would imagine it would go a little faster. I will have to try this tethered

Mitch Alland

I've used LightRoom but not Aperture. How would you characterize the differences between these two programs? Does Aperture have selection tools that allow selective dodging and burning, etc?

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Mitch Alland

For a change I had some free time today and was able to download the trial version of A2 and hence can now answer my own questions:

1. No, A2 is not a photo editing programme and doesn't have selection tools that allow selective burning and dodging.

2. But it is very good at overall editing and its default setting result in an excellent, subtle, rendition both in colour and B&W. For me that is the starting point because I then proceed to "destroy" this "exquisite" rendition to get the type of expressive prints that I want. However, I believe most people will be quite pleased with the default settings, which really do have excellent sharpening and noise reduction settings.

3. While I feel that the A2 default settings are better than those of LightRoom, the latter, for me at least, is a much more intuitive user interface: I like the contact-sheet type view of LR much better and the way of going from the view to the Develop facility, as well as the way exporting tiff and jpg files are handled is much more intuitive than A2.

4. As I use LR for RAW file viewing management and then do everything in LightZone the intuitiveness of LR is important I'm going to continue to use it rather than switching to A2. But user who want to do the type of editing that LR and A2 are designed for may wish to consider A2 because of it's beautiful rendiition.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mitch sorry I did not reply yet and you figured it out some. I like the LR interface also much better and your right out of the box A2 looks pretty good. i will play more with it myself and try the tethered part as soon as i am done fixing my house. Seems everything broke while I was gone. This handy man guy stuff has to end somewhere .

wbrandsma

It is a shame it is only a Mac app. I think the full mode display with the HUD is great, especially on a notebook. And I also think the Light Table is a great feature.

Mitch Alland

Wouter:

Are you now using both Aperture 2 and LightZone, in which case how do you use them together? I've been trying A2 and am beginning to like it a lot, but for the "non-exquisite", high-contrast look that I want I prefer to do everything on LZ. On the other hand, if I wanted a more exquisite look, or colour photos, for that matter, I would probably start using A2.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really tempted to get it, especially since I got that 50mm Heliar Classic for my birthday, thus slaking my thirst for 50mm bokeh.

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Wouter:

Are you now using both Aperture 2 and LightZone, in which case how do you use them together? I've been trying A2 and am beginning to like it a lot, but for the "non-exquisite", high-contrast look that I want I prefer to do everything on LZ. On the other hand, if I wanted a more exquisite look, or colour photos, for that matter, I would probably start using A2.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    I am a PC guy so I use the Lightroom/Lightzone combination. I would love to see Aprture available for the PC as I really like some of the features in Aperture. There are some things I miss in Lightroom, like a real full screen mode and besides the Vibrancy option I am not really happy with the raw conversion for my GX100 files. As mentioned before I think the Light Table is a great way to arrange my photographs.
    I agree with you that you can push the contrast of your raw files further with Lightzone than with Lightroom for instance without pushing the boundaries (to get noise form one or more colourchannels).

Mitch Alland

Wouter:

I've had some more time this afternoon to play with A2 and must say that I'm beginning to like it: for adjustments I think it's much better than LR. The spotting and patching tools are very effective. I found that I can push contrast quite a bit; and combining that with Vignetting I can get results that I like. That means that I could use A2 and then go to LZ only for selective dodging and burning — anyway I'm beginning to think about this.

The thing that I haven't figured out is whether LR may be easier to use for image management, that is just for viewing the RAW files. What do you think?Maybe Maggie has some ideas on this as well, as she uses LZ.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hi, Wouter. how is the stair working out?

j milich

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    The thing that I haven't figured out is whether LR may be easier to use for image management, that is just for viewing the RAW files. What do you think?Maybe Maggie has some ideas on this as well, as she uses LZ.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    That's pretty much how I use iPhoto/LZ, Mitch. It works for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Everyone
    I've been using Aperture for over a year. Once or twice I've got frustrated with it's lack of support for various cameras and tried to bail out . . . . . but to no avail.
    As for the interface, I think it knocks LR into a cocked hat - it did before, but now I REALLY think it does.
    I've just been processing a batch of raw files with the adjustment hud on one monitor, and the photo on the other full screen, with NOTHING else showing, there are single key shortcuts for the various crop/straighten/retouch options, the clone and 'heal' tools so you can work on the photo with no distractions, but with all options available.
    The printing options are fine, one of the reasons that I always came back is that you can produce decent large prints straight from the application (always felt that LR loses the plot above 12X16).
    The web output isn't as flashy (literally) but I find it easy and attractive, on the other hand, the DAM facilities also seem much better than LR. It's a pity you can't select areas as you can in Lightzone, or it would be a complete killer.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    It's a pity you can't select areas as you can in Lightzone, or it would be a complete killer.
    on your last note, niksoftware will be releasing a plug-in, Viveza, for Photoshop. if you've tried Nikon Capture NX, and like the interface, then i think you'll like this plugin. not sure if i can accurately compare this with Lightzone, but it goes about accomplishing the same or similar results as Ligthzone differently. that is, using "control points".

Viveza will not be out until April 2008.

http://www.niksoftware.com/viveza/us...uncement.shtml

demo video:
    http://niktrainingvideos.com/video/v...eza_intro.html

Post Thanks / Like

...and if Apple gets its plug-in SDK out soon, there may be some of these third-party software tools available for Aperture also. I would love to have that Viveza plug-in working in Aperture. That would be an outstanding tool set for doing some really creative work.

LJ

Mitch Alland

I have been looking at the tutorials on the Apple website and, trying A2 out, and find it to be a dazzling piece of software. I think it's rendering of RAW files and it's editing tools are superior to Lightroom. But as I don't have any volume so to speak of I can afford to work picture by picture — and for this the fantastic LightZone selection tools are compelling.

This morning I carefully compared four pictures that I edited in A2 and LightZone, three B&W and one colour. Because of selective burning and dodging I like the B&W pictures edited in LightZone a little better than the ones edited in A2. In contrast, I find easier to edit colour pictures in A2, in which I've achieved better results than in LightZone, but I don't print many colour pictures.

Because I use the ImagePrint RIP for printing I have to prepare in Photoshop the TIFF files exported from LightZone, which means that under the best of circumstances I have to use two pieces of software. Adding A2 to these two doesn't make much sense to me, unless I do more colour, in which case I wouldn't use LightZone for colour.

—Mitch/Bangkok

sirvine

IMO, Aperture took the lead with this release. If nothing else, the Moire control is worth its weight in gold for M8 files.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried the first release of Aperture and found it terrible, but A2 is a huge improvement. I've been using LR for a while now and like it a lot but A2 has some really great features, especially for dual monitor users (working in full screen mode on one monitor with the HUD on the other). I'm still learning A2 but really like what I see so far. The Loupe is a feature worth it's weight in gold to me. Whether I use LR or A2 I still do some editing in CS3 then print via the Image Print RIP. Do any of you A2 users know a way to make Photoshop launch and open an image once it's been processed. It's no big deal to launch PS and open the image from the finder but it would be more convenient if it did so automatically.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Found out the answer to my own question... thought I'd pass it along. After processing the file right click on the image and select "edit with" from the list.

Flavio

I concur the sirvine report. A2 is a very good step ahead from 1.5.6 and runs good even on my Powerbook G4 1.67. I find A2 a completely different product than 1.5.6.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just tried shooting the M8 tethered in A2... no problems at all. Software recognizes that a Leica M8 is attached and allows for taking the shot either with the shutter release or by mouse click within the program. Good way to get those wide open Noct shots in focus

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Just tried shooting the M8 tethered in A2... no problems at all. Software recognizes that a Leica M8 is attached and allows for taking the shot either with the shutter release or by mouse click within the program. Good way to get those wide open Noct shots in focus
    Wouldn't have to use the self-timer on long exposures, either, I reckon.

espressogeek

I had a bad experience with aperture 1 but I might give 2 another go. I downloaded it the other night but I just decided to wait to try it out as I didnt have much time. The loupe enhancements look nice btw.

I recall reading that capture 1 emphasizes a different set of frequencies, or something to that effect, when sharpening which gives it a more film like or traditional look. Has anyone tried to process the files out of C1 and Aperture 2 and compare the effect their respective sharpening has on the file? I suppose with a M8 that is not really an issue but for the other digital shooters it might be.

I am also excited about the sdk support but I would really like to see OEM provided raw developer plugins as I was not crazy about the raw processing in general with Aperture 1.