The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sharpening before final print

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Jack,
In your workflow notes under output adjustment you state that you sometimes apply light sharpening in un sharpen mask 1 or 2 pixels with a threshold of 5. Where do you set amount ?
Thank You,
Joseph Ramos

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That is as respects targeting edges, for example when I'm doing my uprez routine. For that, the amount is adjusted to taste and a good starting both is usually somewhere near 100%.

M

Mitch Alland

Seems to me that what we should be discussing is "printer targeting", which is well described in "Real World Photoshop". The idea is that, once you've you finished all your editing of the file, it is ready for printing but may not always be printed on the same printer, at least in the future. As different printers introduce a different amount of "softening" one can do a final output sharpening appropriate to the printer in question. What I do for my Epson 9800 is to run the output sharpening facility of PK Sharpener, a Photoshop plugin, that, for most files, apply at 50% opacity. Also, different types of papers may require different sharpening: PK Sharpener has separate settings for glossy and matte paper.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/