The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photoshop - cropping

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I really wish that cropping were a layer.
All this hide and reveal stuff seems to be a PITA.
If crop were a layer than we could do different crops in layer comps.
That would be neat.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, hide is a PITA. One option is to outline your intended crop with the marquis tool, mask the active area and darken the outer area to about 30% opacity. Then finish all your edits targeted at the active image then make the final crop at the end of the session. I typically just go ahead and commit to the crop early on...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
One possible alternative... I've made an action that draws a black rectangle on each of the four sides of the image, each side on a separate layer. I run the action then position the rectangle on each layer to cover/crop to the area I like. It works like the blades of an enlargement easel.

Once I do that, I select the 4 crop-bar layers and hit "command-option-e" to combine them all into a new layer. Now I can turn the others off but leave them in place in case I want to adjust the crop later. Once it's final, I copy the file and use the crop tool.

Don Libby

I run hot and cold on cropping. Some images I crop first then complete the processing while on others its the next to the last thing I do. In almost every case I work on an image to a point, save then duplicate and work more, save the duplicate, finally getting to the point I know I'm finished.

Never thought of it before however I like Bob's idea of it being a layer.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I come to this where I have images with different crops for different finished print sizes, dictated more by clients than by me. I am getting a directory cluttered up with different versions of the same (large) image where simply layer comps on the original,would be adequate. If I use a white mask around the "cropped" area. PS printing still sees the white as image, and insists that I am trying to print outside the page dimensions.
Seems like a simple thing, but it is pretty annoying to me.
I already have layered adjustments for different soft proofed papers, so this would be particularly handy.
-bob

Don Libby

Agreed, as I have several images sized for different canvas sizes (adding the wrap).

Now that you have me thinking of it, it would be much better to have it all in a layer. Now you have me rethinking the process ...
Don