The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DNG file spec update

Terry

It looks like Adobe has updated the DNG file standard to included lens corrections:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09062402adobedng.asp

This could be very helpful for some of us going forward. For example on micro 4/3 both Panasonic and now Olympus are doing lens corrections baked into the RAW files and this has limited the number of processors that can handle the files.

Perhaps now G1 owners will get C1 and Apeture support! :clap:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I read the new version 1.3 spec and looks sort of ok.
It appears that there is also support for the rough equivalent of an LCC. It would be neat if somehow lccs could be generated in camera and applied to those images that need them.
Another good feature is the support of bad pixel lists as one of these opcodes (fixbadpixelslist). It would be a good thing to be able to embed these within the dng.
Also of note is support for an embedded camera profile.
Lens corrections include rectilinear warp (including support for color to correct CA, and de-fish functions if you are in to that.
Interesting...
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
and another thing,
What it seems to be missing is support for radial sharpness corrections.
It also might to be limited, based on my quick reading, in the area of mustache aberrations, but I need to work out the polynomials and the possible combination of de-fish and rectilinear correction polynomials to se just how far that combination might be applied to fix this.
-bob

R

Ranger 9

Adobe DNG updated to allow image correction

This could be big news for those of us who use the growing number of cameras that employ software image correction routines... or it might be no news, if manufacturers decide not to take advantage of it.

Still.. according to some stuff I just read on DPReview, Adobe has updated its DNG format specification so that DNG files now can include "opcodes," Adobe's term for the specialized data needed to make software image correction work.

In theory this would mean that it no longer would be necessary to rely on the manufacturer's own software to take advantage of the image-correction data embedded in raw files; that data can now get stored in DNG files, so presumably it would be accessible after conversion.

Or something. Anyway, if you want to read about it, there are links here and here.